MA/MS Which grad schools should I consider for master's program in counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tifanie2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested to do a master's program in clinical mental health counseling. I have shortlisted 6 schools, but I would like to narrow it down further. Here are my choices (not in order of preference):

1. Kean University, Union, NJ
2.Fairfield University, Fairfield CT
3.Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA
4. Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ
5.Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA
6. Marywood University, Scranton, PA

My priority would be to select the better-ranked schools or programs, but I have no idea which are better-ranked. Another consideration would be the location. I would like to live in a more exciting place. Chances are that students of the program would be offered a job at their internship sites which are a requirement of the program. So I would like to study in a place where there are better employment prospects for counselors.

Any advice out there? If you know more about these schools, please give me your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested to do a master's program in clinical mental health counseling. I have shortlisted 6 schools, but I would like to narrow it down further. Here are my choices (not in order of preference):

1. Kean University, Union, NJ
2.Fairfield University, Fairfield CT
3.Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA
4. Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ
5.Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA
6. Marywood University, Scranton, PA

My priority would be to select the better-ranked schools or programs, but I have no idea which are better-ranked. Another consideration would be the location. I would like to live in a more exciting place. Chances are that students of the program would be offered a job at their internship sites which are a requirement of the program. So I would like to study in a place where there are better employment prospects for counselors.

Any advice out there? If you know more about these schools, please give me your thoughts.

Wherever you are from, I can guarantee you Scranton, PA is not a more exciting place.

Reactions: 1 user
Wherever you are from, I can guarantee you Scranton, PA is not a more exciting place.
Thanks for your reply! Good to know that. It's important to me since I will be spending almost 3 years in a place. I know that its better to go for a CACREP accredited program if I want to be a licensed professional counselor in any state. If the school is not very highly-ranked such as Kean University, will it affect my employment prospects? What I like about Kean Uni is that it's very near NYC, so it will be more exciting to live there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! Good to know that. It's important to me since I will be spending almost 3 years in a place. I know that its better to go for a CACREP accredited program if I want to be a licensed professional counselor in any state. If the school is not very highly-ranked such as Kean University, will it affect my employment prospects? What I like about Kean Uni is that it's very near NYC, so it will be more exciting to live there.

I don't know much about counseling programs, just my 2 cents about one of the areas you are considering. If they are anything like psychology programs, it's the program itself and not the ranking of the school that matters. I assume you mean those US News rankings? Those don't mean a whole lot anyway in general.

Can I ask what factors went into consideration when making this list?

Ball State University has a nice MA counseling program that is CACREP accredited. They also have a PhD program so you could apply to get your doctoral degree afterwards.