Which graduate degree should I pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!,

I am very interested in one day opening my own private practice and/or joining a firm. I am trying to find the best path. There is a lot to consider regarding different schools of thought, length of time, cost, job market, and projected salary. I am trying to find the quickest way to get to this goal while still being able to be competitive in the market. I have heard of stories of people getting degrees and them and their classmates unable to find jobs due to their degree being uncompetitive.

I earned my M.A. in psychology from Boston University in 2014 with a 3.6/4 G.P.A. This was a 1-year degree program that was meant to prepare people for further education and received no clinical training. Long story short I did a year of research afterward and hated it. I then abandoned everything and went to teach in English in China for a year and a half. I retook the GRE this spring thinking I would apply to Psy.D. programs. Verbal 157 Math 157 Writing 5.0 This past fall I began working in a wilderness therapy company with troubled youth as a field staff.

My question is this. Returning back to the idea of working with a private practice or company what degree paths do you recommend? I am already 27 so going for a Psy.D. is a long time to get into/start a practice. I was recommended by one old professor to get an MSW with a focus on a clinical track and then switch into private practice. I'm not sure how viable that is or how well equipped it would leave me to deal with becoming a therapist. An LPC seems like the wrong move since they don't get paid well and it appears they have a harder time securing a job source. I am open to all advice or any direction you could point me.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure why you think LPC's don't get paid well relative to MSWs. Many positions that LPCs work in are also open to MSW holders and pay the same regardless of degree. That being said, I would explore your state and see how each degree holder tends to do. Your professor gave you good advice. A clinically oriented MSW program will be fine as prep for therapy work. Just be sure to to field work/practica where you get to do therapy and be prepared either masters route to do additionally training and learning when you're all done. No one finishes 2 years of training ready for independent practice, regardless of the program. Just don't spend a ton of money on a masters either way you go.