Which has a safer and quieter campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerofTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
St. John's University in Jamaica, Queens or University of the Sciences in Philadelphia?

I am still waiting on a decision from St. John's University but I am probably go to USP. USP seems to have a nice and quiet campus. St. John's is in New York and it doesn't seem like it is the type of area for me but I never went there.

St. John's is also a bit more expensive for tuition than USP.

What about academics? What are all of your experiences with these two schools?

Pros of USP:
all science and health care school
a lot of connections to the pharmaceutical world
small campus
only about 3400 students

For st. John's I only know three cons:
in new york
tuition is more expensive than USP's tuition
catholic

Members don't see this ad.

USP hands down. Alumni of USP here.

Safer campus, community.

That's what I was thinking. I don't mind a theology class it is probably about their religion..
USP seems to have amazing alumnus.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is "in NY" a negative? :thumbdown: NY is the hub of the universe. Philly is okay, but nothing like NY- one of the best cities on earth.

As a school, perhaps USP has a better reputation. But as a city, NY is far and away the best. If USP were in NY that would be the best of both worlds.

St. John's University in Jamaica, Queens or University of the Sciences in Philadelphia?

I am still waiting on a decision from St. John's University but I am probably go to USP. USP seems to have a nice and quiet campus. St. John's is in New York and it doesn't seem like it is the type of area for me but I never went there.

St. John's is also a bit more expensive for tuition than USP.

What about academics? What are all of your experiences with these two schools?

Pros of USP:
all science and health care school
a lot of connections to the pharmaceutical world
small campus
only about 3400 students

For st. John's I only know three cons:
in new york
tuition is more expensive than USP's tuition
catholic

St. John's is in a pretty safe community. It's more of a suburban place.

Being in NY is a pro, not a con.

St. John's is in a pretty safe community. It's more of a suburban place.

Being in NY is a pro, not a con.

haha..hate new york state. So damn regulated, feels military in a sense compared to more liberal states ( e.g. New England). There is a law for everything.

But hey, its a matter of perception. One man's poison...

Cost of living broski. If I'm gonna be a broke student (which I am, mind you) I'd rather not live in one of the most expensive areas in the nation.

Philly isn't much cheaper.

To the OP: why not Rutgers? It will certainly be cheaper and, as you've mentioned several times before, you're interested in industry. I realize that the 0-6 program at USP is appealing, but you'll have a more robust set of industry options if you attend Rutgers.

Ever thought that I got rejected from Rutgers?

As to why St.Johns is a con for me, the tuition is higher, the cost of living is higher, NY is expensive, the way to get there doesn't appeal to me, and I like a smaller school.

My main concern was academics.

i went to st. johns and my girlfriend goes to USP.

1. As far as surrounding neighborhood, the immediate area of USP is shadier than SJU. From your assumptions, it seems like u havent been to SJU. IF ur considering it, u should check it out.

2. As far as student life, I loved SJU. My gf hates USP in that regard.

3. As far as academics, trust me its all the same. All schools have their pros and cons. I've seen brilliant people and *****s from all schools (including SJU, LIU, USP, Boston, Rutgers, Albany, etc). You get outta it, what u put into it. I personally know of someone who got kicked outta SJU program and then got accepted into USP. So there are so many variables.

4. Catholic/theology- it's a catholic school technically, but it doesnt feel that way. Also as far as theology, it is not just catholicism. They have world religions, hinduism, islam, buddhism, etc. U have to take 3 philosophies and 3 theologies.

5. One edge SJU has is study abroad programs in europe.

I would pick SJU again, if i had to do it all over again. But don't get me wrong, I really do like USP. It's a cozy lil area. Lil bars around. A very short cab ride to center city (good resteraunts/bars). I am born n raised in NY, but I like Philly too. It 's like a mini NY.

Queens is pretty cool. I had tons of fun. Fun area. Very diverse culture, arguably the most diverse in the world. It's a real melting pot. Getting into manhattan isn't terribly tough. Hey if ur gonna do NY, u mite as well do it when ur young. Also at SJU, u can meet different types of people since its not just a school for health professionals.

Ultimately the choice is all subjective cuz either will get you to your objective goal of being a pharmacist. Both are decent schools with fun neighborhoods.

St. John's University is cooler though cause it's world famous ;)

Thanks but I said yes to USP. It's more of where I want to go. It has less students, I'll be closer to my cousin, I'm not too big on partying or anything. If USP students study together and just chill, I'll enjoy that just fine.

I like getting a taste of diversity and am accepting of religions and stuff but I'm not too big on it. I can easily get frustrated with diversity..