Which is the Best Air Force Med Center?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What was your favorite Air Force Medical Center?

• David Grant USAF Medical Center - Travis Air Force Base, California

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Keesler Medical Center - Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Malcolm Grow Medical Center - Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Wilford Hall Medical Center - Lackland Air Force Base, Texas

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Wright-Patterson Medical Center - Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

xmsr3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be useful for those scheduling rotations to know what the general opinion of the major military medical centers are. So going in reverse order of service size, here is the poll for Air Force Medical Centers.

For anyone who rotated at, or has served in an Air Force Medical Center, which one was your favorite and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it might be useful for those scheduling rotations to know what the general opinion of the major military medical centers are. So going in reverse order of service size, here is the poll for Air Force Medical Centers.

For anyone who rotated at, or has served in an Air Force Medical Center, which one was your favorite and why?

Im confused why this would even be a concern for you.
Did Annabanana get you rethinking your decision to Go Army?

Members don't see this ad :)
This poll has nothing to do with me specifically, its mainly for those in the AF USUHS and HPSP programs. As explained in the introductory two sentences, the polls are going in reverse order of service size, meaning that the Navy and Army polls will be posted later. Apparently too many threads in one day offends some people.:D

Best for what? Ultimately the answer will be whichever one is closer to and closely affiliated with a more robust med center from another service (or a civilian hospital/residency). But the specialty involved would still have a significant effect on the answer to your somewhat nebulous question.

This poll has nothing to do with me specifically, its mainly for those in the AF USUHS and HPSP programs.

Then let us worry about it. As stated, this is all very program specific and a lot of this is already discussed if you search.
Save your worrying for Army programs in 3 years when youre doing rotations and it will impact you.

Best for what? Ultimately the answer will be whichever one is closer to and closely affiliated with a more robust med center from another service (or a civilian hospital/residency). But the specialty involved would still have a significant effect on the answer to your somewhat nebulous question.

Sorry for the lack of specifics in my question. I suppose I just meant "favorite" to mean which you enjoyed serving at the most.

This could be for any and all reasons, the center may be the newest and have the most modern equipment, it may be famous for whatever specialty you care most about, it may, like RAD says, be affiliated with the most other hospitals and have the most interesting case load, or it may come down to something as simple as location and climate.

Sorry for the lack of specifics in my question. I suppose I just meant "favorite" to mean which you enjoyed serving at the most.

This could be for any and all reasons, the center may be the newest and have the most modern equipment, it may be famous for whatever specialty you care most about, it may, like RAD says, be affiliated with the most other hospitals and have the most interesting case load, or it may come down to something as simple as location and climate.

You haven't even started medical school yet. There's no point in you worrying about rotations that you might do in 3 years. It will all change by then. You need to NOT plan your life out so rigidly. The military will beat that out of you before too long.

If you qualify every answer, as you should, with the statement that it is a personal preference choice based on a wide array of mitigating circumstances (program, location, weather during the time of your visit, familiarity with the surroundings, luck of the draw as far as the people you would work with, and numerous other intangibles) then your results will mean NOTHING.

New Poll: What is your favorite food? I'm trying to decide what I should make my favorite food. So, please put your favorite food in the reply, that way I can know what I should eat. POINTLESS, unless you are well acquainted with the respondents, their situation and your own preferences and desires.

I started school (in July of this year) with fairly specific ideas about residency preference in mind. Guess what? I have changed my mind a LOT in the last 4 months, and I haven't even finished the didactic portion of medschool. You need to take everyone's advice here and calm the heck down. There will be plenty of time to obsess over med school once you start. You've got like 7 months of freedom left before the medmonster devours all of your free time and saps you of your energy for outside pursuits. LIVE IT UP NOW. Go kayacking or something, but quit wasting your time on this forum preemptively finalizing your plans for residency.

How about this: What Air Force Med Center has the best facilities, both medical, (ie the hospital itself) and in terms of the living conditions on post?

In other words, no matter where you are currently stationed, if you where granted the ability to be transfered to the Air Force Med Center of your choosing, which one would it be?

P.S

I am not making these polls because I am a neurotic gunner, planning my residency 5 years in advance. I AM enjoying my 9 months between acceptance and OBLC. Part of how I enjoy myself is spending time on SDN and coming up with polls I think might be useful to others in the future, not necessarily myself, thus why I am asking about AF med centers first, even though I will probably never rotate at one.

Part of how I enjoy myself is spending time on SDN and coming up with polls I think might be useful to others in the future, not necessarily myself, thus why I am asking about AF med centers first, even though I will probably never rotate at one.
Please don't.

Most folks on SDN lead pretty busy lives. When someone starts a thread, folks assume the inquiry is legitimate and will be useful to the person starting the thread.

When you start a completely arbitrary thread that doesn't apply to you in any way, you're wasting the time of people who don't know better and foolishly spend their time answering a question you don't need the answer to.

And you'll find you've become the Boy Who Cried Wolf around here and pretty soon folks won't answer your posts at all, including the ones that are legitimate.

Please just start threads that are relevant. If folks want to know something, they'll start a thread. You don't need to do it on their behalf. Stuff like this just wastes people time, it's not a public service. Be courteous.

Last edited:

do you have acceptances to other medical schools?

I mean this in the most honest and sincere way: You might wanna consider going to another school and delaying your decision to join the military. Honestly, you just don't strike me as a right fit for the military. You're a little TOO enthusiastic, too eager (yes, this is possible), people will eat you up alive, as they're already doing here. Perhaps you should give it some more thought, sounds like you're young, a little inexperienced in the ways of life, social interaction (if you're eraticness on this forum is any indication). remember there's more than one way to skin a cat. You could always go to a civilian school then opt to join the military, at an older (perhaps) wiser age, at which point you can make a better decision. i'm only saying this because I've seen dozens of your type,the kind that's way too eager, had way too many great expectations, then just ends up getting sht on by everybody, and becomes insanely bitter and remorseful. Dont wanna see that happen to you, you sound like a good kid.
I just ask that you consider your decision carefully.

Please don't.

Most folks on SDN lead pretty busy lives. When someone starts a thread, folks assume the inquiry is legitimate and will be useful to the person starting the thread.

When you start a completely arbitrary thread that doesn't apply to you in any way, you're wasting the time of people who don't know better and foolishly spend their time answering a question you don't need the answer to.

And you'll find you've become the Boy Who Cried Wolf around here and pretty soon folks won't answer your posts at all, including the ones that are legitimate.

Please just start threads that are relevant. If folks want to know something, they'll start a thread. You don't need to do it on their behalf. Stuff like this just wastes people time, it's not a public service. Be courteous.

Sorry, I didn't realise I was being rude. In the future I will only start threads that apply to me.

Last edited:
do you have acceptances to other medical schools?

I mean this in the most honest and sincere way: You might wanna consider going to another school and delaying your decision to join the military. Honestly, you just don't strike me as a right fit for the military. You're a little TOO enthusiastic, too eager (yes, this is possible), people will eat you up alive, as they're already doing here. Perhaps you should give it some more thought, sounds like you're young, a little inexperienced in the ways of life, social interaction (if you're eraticness on this forum is any indication). remember there's more than one way to skin a cat. You could always go to a civilian school then opt to join the military, at an older (perhaps) wiser age, at which point you can make a better decision. i'm only saying this because I've seen dozens of your type,the kind that's way too eager, had way too many great expectations, then just ends up getting sht on by everybody, and becomes insanely bitter and remorseful. Dont wanna see that happen to you, you sound like a good kid.
I just ask that you consider your decision carefully.

Say it isn't so! Crazy trying to dissuade a prospective recruit?

You're probable right in your assesment.

How's med school treating you? Will keep watch to see how mil med treats you once you're in the thick of it.

Best of luck.

Oh, by the way to the OP: NONE OF THEM. Military medicine sucks, (specially the AF), and unless you really have a specific reason for becoming a military officer, you will regret your decision. Listen to Crazy, and read these forums thoroughly!

Not the greatest poll...there is only one true Med Cen that's WHMC which is on it's way out.....the others all have +'s and -'s for different reasons so depends on what service you work for