Which job to take for my gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurgical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
tl;dr: Read the pros/cons list and tell me which job would look better on a medical school app/PS. If this is in the wrong forum, please move it tot he correct one.

Here's my dilemma: there are two jobs that I could take for my 2 gap years (will apply next cycle after I take my MCAT next year.) I am taking gap years due to burnout from school (just graduated from college) and I honestly want to learn how to be an adult so I don't have to learn that while in medical school (along with other various reasons.) Both have great opportunities for professional growth in the medical field and I am honestly blessed/lucky (whichever you prefer) to be in the position of choosing between two jobs. Which job would help me more with medical school applications?

First, I wanna say that they both work under the same medical center, so the benefits are pretty much the same. They also start with the same wage: $15/hour at full time. However, there are differences in the jobs

Job A: Clinical Research Coordinator

I will be in charge of clinical research associates that run different research trials with different physicians that run the studies. The job, however, is mostly administrative. I am essentially the right-hand man to the physicians whom run studies. I talk to research companies, sponsors of the trials, other physicians, my staff whom work under me, etc. The person I am shadowing--and eventually replacing as he goes off to dental school in August--says he's with patients doing various tests anywhere from 30-50% of the time. However, a few physicians told me they are hiring some more CRAs to help ease the clinical demands that the current CRAs already face. I'm afraid that this move will ultimately keep me in an office most of the day, if not all day. I want some more clinical exposure if I were to take this job (for obvious reasons.) Plus I really hate sitting behind a desk from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. emailing, calling, and sitting with sponsors/drug company reps. The guy I'm shadowing tells me "it's really what you make of it. If you wanna sit behind a desk all day as a liaison, then you can. If you wanna interview patients and run some tests, you can do that too." But what a few physicians told me makes me wary of that statement.

Pros:
  • Great leadership opportunity
  • Allows me to work directly with physicians and other team members (potential shadowing experience + shows I can effectively communicate with others)
  • Great and very supportive staff. They are very nice, run efficiently, and will pretty much help out with anything I delegate
  • Potential for travel to different conferences, which are fully paid for.
  • Potential to earn more money
Cons:
  • Will most likely just be administrative--no patient contact potential whatsoever. That seriously bores me; they want me on the team for at least a year
Job B: Research Assistant

This is where I am more experienced. I have been in a neuroscience lab for 2 years in undergrad and this lab deals with similar interests of mine (behavior and drugs.) This is directly hands on and I will work under a PI for a year only (as it is a grant-funded position and, unless they can get me in another lab, I will be out of work by next summer.) However, the procedures and studies I will perform interest me greatly. I have an opportunity to assist in surgeries, run assays, do PCRs, dissections, and so forth. However, I am not sure I would be able to publish within this time frame, which is a goal of mine if I were to be an RA.

Pros:
  • I will be very hands-on, which is a huge plus for me
  • After a year, I will not have a job so I can focus on applying to medical schools
  • Again, great and supportive staff. Two people in the lab are applying to med school right now and the PI, postgrads, etc. are really helping them out with scheduling and application tips.
  • Well-known medical center in my area. They produce results.
Cons:
  • After a year, I will not have a job. So if I can't/don't apply next year, I may be screwed
  • No chance of moving up in the job or more pay as time goes on
  • Technically, no clinical experience
So I come to you SDN. These Pros/Cons are not equal. Hands-on experience is way more important than me not being able to move up the ladder so-to-speak. Which would look better on medical school applications?

Members don't see this ad.

tl;dr: Read the pros/cons list and tell me which job would look better on a medical school app/PS. If this is in the wrong forum, please move it tot he correct one.

Here's my dilemma: there are two jobs that I could take for my 2 gap years (will apply next cycle after I take my MCAT next year.) I am taking gap years due to burnout from school (just graduated from college) and I honestly want to learn how to be an adult so I don't have to learn that while in medical school (along with other various reasons.) Both have great opportunities for professional growth in the medical field and I am honestly blessed/lucky (whichever you prefer) to be in the position of choosing between two jobs. Which job would help me more with medical school applications?

First, I wanna say that they both work under the same medical center, so the benefits are pretty much the same. They also start with the same wage: $15/hour at full time. However, there are differences in the jobs

Job A: Clinical Research Coordinator

I will be in charge of clinical research associates that run different research trials with different physicians that run the studies. The job, however, is mostly administrative. I am essentially the right-hand man to the physicians whom run studies. I talk to research companies, sponsors of the trials, other physicians, my staff whom work under me, etc. The person I am shadowing--and eventually replacing as he goes off to dental school in August--says he's with patients doing various tests anywhere from 30-50% of the time. However, a few physicians told me they are hiring some more CRAs to help ease the clinical demands that the current CRAs already face. I'm afraid that this move will ultimately keep me in an office most of the day, if not all day. I want some more clinical exposure if I were to take this job (for obvious reasons.) Plus I really hate sitting behind a desk from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. emailing, calling, and sitting with sponsors/drug company reps. The guy I'm shadowing tells me "it's really what you make of it. If you wanna sit behind a desk all day as a liaison, then you can. If you wanna interview patients and run some tests, you can do that too." But what a few physicians told me makes me wary of that statement.

Pros:
  • Great leadership opportunity
  • Allows me to work directly with physicians and other team members (potential shadowing experience + shows I can effectively communicate with others)
  • Great and very supportive staff. They are very nice, run efficiently, and will pretty much help out with anything I delegate
  • Potential for travel to different conferences, which are fully paid for.
  • Potential to earn more money
Cons:
  • Will most likely just be administrative--no patient contact potential whatsoever. That seriously bores me; they want me on the team for at least a year
Job B: Research Assistant

This is where I am more experienced. I have been in a neuroscience lab for 2 years in undergrad and this lab deals with similar interests of mine (behavior and drugs.) This is directly hands on and I will work under a PI for a year only (as it is a grant-funded position and, unless they can get me in another lab, I will be out of work by next summer.) However, the procedures and studies I will perform interest me greatly. I have an opportunity to assist in surgeries, run assays, do PCRs, dissections, and so forth. However, I am not sure I would be able to publish within this time frame, which is a goal of mine if I were to be an RA.

Pros:
  • I will be very hands-on, which is a huge plus for me
  • After a year, I will not have a job so I can focus on applying to medical schools
  • Again, great and supportive staff. Two people in the lab are applying to med school right now and the PI, postgrads, etc. are really helping them out with scheduling and application tips.
  • Well-known medical center in my area. They produce results.
Cons:
  • After a year, I will not have a job. So if I can't/don't apply next year, I may be screwed
  • No chance of moving up in the job or more pay as time goes on
  • Technically, no clinical experience
So I come to you SDN. These Pros/Cons are not equal. Hands-on experience is way more important than me not being able to move up the ladder so-to-speak. Which would look better on medical school applications?
The job that you're excited about, aka, Job B.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally go with Job A to do something new (given you've already done wet lab neuroscience research in undergrad). In the end of the day pick what you enjoy. You can always apply to be a scribe next year after Job B runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In terms of helping out your application, I don't think you should think in terms of "how will this look as a bullet point on my employment list" but rather "which one am I most passionate about, and how can that help my application overall?" I.e. possible topic to write an essay about personal accomplishments you're proud of, something you're passionate about, what you learned through your involvement in research, etc. All of those are topics that I've seen in secondaries, and I think choosing Job B, the one you seem excited about, will help both your application and your own satisfaction with your life.

Either will work if you can talk about how whichever one you choose helps you earn skills needed to be a good physician (communication and leadership/accountability come to mind). It seems you have a hands-on preference, but you expressed the concern about being able to have a job if things didn't work out for your app cycle. If that's the case, A is obvious. If you prefer the job-set of B, however, go with it. Again, either activity will be seen positively if you can talk about what you did and what you learned.

In terms of the lab and publishing, it would depend on how much work you have done in the last two years. Have you talked to your PI about publishing and whether you can put something based on work you have done already? (fair warning I haven't had as much experience with your specific type of research, so getting results and publishing may differ from my understanding)

Best of luck!

Become a male gigolo. Pays well and you get your p p wet :whistle:

Not sure how this got necrobumped haha. But FWIW, I went with the RA position. I was actually let go from Job A because of lack of experience (they wanted someone to come in and hit the ground running; I have no CRA experience.) It was very cordial and they wished me the best of luck with being an RA.

Also, the RA position is not contract; I can work full time while interviewing and answering secondaries. Thanks everyone for replying!

Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered becoming a Juggalo? The Dark Carnival needs ambitious folks too.

@FutureSurgical :rofl:to me for not realizing the necrobump...

Glad things are working out for you, though! Best of luck with apps for your season!