Which khakis to wear at NMCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FNU LNU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question - can anyone tell me which version of the khaki uniform to wear at NMCSD? Unclear if I should wear wash khakis (safe for shipboard wear/no ribbons) or service khakis (more polyester/wear ribbons).

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to fit in, I'd got with service khakis. I've never seen wash khakis over here, not even on patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info and the humor, respectively. As a former Marine, I have a need to be in the proper uniform that borders on an Axis II disorder...

You will only wear wash khaki's aboard ship (for the most part).

Anytime you are in the hospital and in khaki's you will wear service khaki.

I talked to a line officer friend of mine and he said that most people go with the P/Ws. I bought both and then returned the CNTs. The P/Ws have permenant creases and in my opinion, are a bit more comfortable. In all honesty though, I hope to spend most of my career in scrubs or utilities...

Make sure you don't wear summer whites in November although it is sunny and 90 degrees

What's the rollout schedule for the NWU? Is it still some time around October for Navy-wide use? Have the officers jumped on board and started wearing them where they're allowed to? They seem like they'd be more comfortable than khaki's.

Thoughts on CNT vs. poly/wool?

It's rare to see CNT's these days. Poly/wool is the way to go.

As to the NWU question. You definitely see them out in the line community now and around the hospital I work in. The roll-out was geographically based, I think everyone has to have them by this January, but don't quote me on that.

I think whether you wear that or not will be hospital dependent, but if you are going on audition rotations/interviews I definitely wouldn't wear the NWU over the Khaki's.

But yes, they are more comfortable, but the off-base use rules limit my wearing although it's better than the flight suit rules.