Which medical schools like non-traditional applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovescrubs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just looking to get some thoughts on which medical schools in the northeast and new york and philly tend to like slightly older applicants (24-25) than the usual and who have pursued another degree before medical school and after college (MPH degree). I have applied to 19 thus far and was looking to make sure I wasnt leaving any out. Thanks, any help would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouln't say 25 isn't really far off from most graduates. There isn't any clear line where it starts or stops, but I think generally 27-30 would be considered non-traditional.

Hey everyone, I was just looking to get some thoughts on which medical schools in the northeast and new york and philly tend to like slightly older applicants (24-25) than the usual and who have pursued another degree before medical school and after college (MPH degree). I have applied to 19 thus far and was looking to make sure I wasnt leaving any out. Thanks, any help would be awesome.

Good question. I found Drexel to be very non-trad friendly. But I only applied to a hand full of other schools in the northeast. I think in reality though, it may be less about which schools prefer older applicants and more about whether you as an applicant are a good fit for a specific school. I think age is probably less important, especially if we are talking about being 24-25, since that is about the average age for entering MS1's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah good points. I realize I am not "old" by any means, however I have found that most schools have an average incoming age of 23-ish and I will be 25 upon matriculating. Drexel is in there for sure, thanks for the advice and yeah its encouraging to talk to you guys. I have a 30 on my MCAT which I was pretty happy with however I realize that I am by no means some superstar. Just hoping for the best haha. :luck:

Yeah good points. I realize I am not "old" by any means, however I have found that most schools have an average incoming age of 23-ish and I will be 25 upon matriculating. Drexel is in there for sure, thanks for the advice and yeah its encouraging to talk to you guys. I have a 30 on my MCAT which I was pretty happy with however I realize that I am by no means some superstar. Just hoping for the best haha. :luck:

If it makes you feel any better, I will be 31 when I start. But I know how you feel about being a little older than others (that may be coming fresh out of college). Still, you will be bringing additional experiences to the table and may have an edge during your interviews (possibly more things to talk about?). Did you look at the MSAR to size up your chances at all the schools in the NE?

Does two years really seem like such a long time when you're 24? I forget. When you're my age, the memory tends to go. Nobody is going to care that you're 25. They'll care more about your MCAT score and your grades. You could try walking with a cane to your interview if you really want to emphasize what a "non-traditional" student you are.:rolleyes:

Does two years really seem like such a long time when you're 24? I forget. When you're my age, the memory tends to go. Nobody is going to care that you're 25. They'll care more about your MCAT score and your grades. You could try walking with a cane to your interview if you really want to emphasize what a "non-traditional" student you are.:rolleyes:

Agreed. But then again, the process can be so stressfull for many of us that even little things seem much bigger. I remember agonizing over things like the color of my suit and whether or not I should bring a leather portfolio or not. Heck, I even considered changing which knot I used for my tie. :oops: in the end, it didn't really matter. But the stress sure kept me on my toes.

There is no school in this country that gives special consideration to nontrad applicants solely based on age. If you are a competitive applicant, any school will consider you. At age 24-25, you are barely a nontrad by anyone's standards (and probably not a nontrad at all by many people's :p ). Your age will not be a barrier to being admitted to medical school; 24-25 is the average age of matriculation for many schools. Concentrate on picking schools where your application will be competitive both in terms of your stats and in meshing with the school's stated mission. Also, pay attention to things like state residency requirements and coursework requirements. Best of luck to you with your apps. :)

Heck, I even considered changing which knot I used for my tie. :oops:

I think adcomms like bollo ties the best.

On another note, I have heard that Northwestern is friendly to nontrads. They like for people to have some life experiences. And one or two years outside of college is definitely enough time to gain life experiences.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will keep that in mind. Don't worry though, I am very aware of the fact that I am hardly a non-trad. I just wanted to be sure to maximize my chances if possible. I dont think theres one of you that wouldnt understand that. :laugh:

I remember agonizing over things like the color of my suit and whether or not I should bring a leather portfolio or not. Heck, I even considered changing which knot I used for my tie.

:eek:Oh God, the memories are coming back! I was trying to suppress them. It's a little bit like being back in high school where you're hyper-paranoid about every aspect of your appearance. Will the adcomms get pissed off if I don't wear a black suit? I ended up going with a half-Windsor, by the way.