which method would be best to improve my GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayacc2

Reaction score
here are the 3 ideas I have:

• Try post-bacc
  • try masters of arts in biology ( 1 year program)
  • try a masters in genetic counseling (2 years)
  • maybe some other master's program
My current overall GPA is 3.2 with a sGPA of 2.9, DAT is 19.

At first I was enjoying the idea of doing a masters in genetic counseling where I could drop halfway through if I get into dental school, or if I can't get into dental school through the whole 2 years I can simply become a genetic counselor. But the more I think about it the more unsure I am as I'm afraid that the classes in genetics would be far more difficult than just doing a post-bacc as I am not that great at genetics.

For a post-bacc I am afraid that if I still don't get into dental school I'll be left holding a bag of extra college credits and degrees that won't mean too much. With a similar problem in a masters program of arts in biology.

What are your thoughts? I want to go into dental school but I want to do it in the most efficient way possible, as in the sooner and cheaper the better.

Members don't see this ad.

I would honestly just try to apply to multiple programs. You are not guaranteed to get into all of them, so choosing would be easier after you get acceptances, and pick out of those acceptances based on time/money, etc.
As for genetic counseling, why are you considering a field that you already know you are not great in?

here are the 3 ideas I have:

• Try post-bacc
  • try masters of arts in biology ( 1 year program)
  • try a masters in genetic counseling (2 years)
  • maybe some other master's program
My current overall GPA is 3.2 with a sGPA of 2.9, DAT is 19.

At first I was enjoying the idea of doing a masters in genetic counseling where I could drop halfway through if I get into dental school, or if I can't get into dental school through the whole 2 years I can simply become a genetic counselor. But the more I think about it the more unsure I am as I'm afraid that the classes in genetics would be far more difficult than just doing a post-bacc as I am not that great at genetics.

For a post-bacc I am afraid that if I still don't get into dental school I'll be left holding a bag of extra college credits and degrees that won't mean too much. With a similar problem in a masters program of arts in biology.

What are your thoughts? I want to go into dental school but I want to do it in the most efficient way possible, as in the sooner and cheaper the better.
Apply to established master of biomedical science programs like the one at rutgers, tufts, barry, or BU etc. Achieve a high grad GPA (3.6+). These programs are usually linked to the dental school (BU, Tufts) and offer interviews to students with high grad school GPAs. Obviously you need to retake the DAT and aim for at least 21AA, 21TS. Apply after at least one semester of your masters and new DAT scores and you're sure to get multiple interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
. Apply after at least one semester of your masters and new DAT scores and you're sure to get multiple interviews.
so, I shouldn't apply this cycle? I was planning on applying now and update my application as I go on. After the fall semester I don't think I can make it for the current cycle ( or at least have the early application advantage)?

You could apply now, but your chances of receiving interviews are very very low. TBH, I would save your money and apply to special master programs (SMPs) now as some programs are still accepting students for the fall. Retake your DAT in the spring, and apply for the 2023-2024 cycle.

Reactions: 1 user