Which Navy specialties in highest demand / have greatest shortage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackajack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the title states, I'm curious as to what medical specialties are in the greatest demand / have the greatest shortage currently in the Navy.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Google Medical Corps Update - Navy Medicine.

The first link should be a Powerpoint file. Go to slides 16 and 17.

Google Medical Corps Update - Navy Medicine.

The first link should be a Powerpoint file. Go to slides 16 and 17.

Thanks for the link!

If those graphs are accurate, I'm surprised at how undermanned the radiology and general surgery fields are. Then again, I'm a newly minted HPSPer and have a lot to learn about Navy medicine. Also, from slide #24, looks like that signing bonus had a positive effect, although the total goal of accessions sure went down significantly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link!

If those graphs are accurate, I'm surprised at how undermanned the radiology and general surgery fields are. Then again, I'm a newly minted HPSPer and have a lot to learn about Navy medicine. Also, from slide #24, looks like that signing bonus had a positive effect, although the total goal of accessions sure went down significantly.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Radiologists in particular, for whatever reason, are showered with money (in civilian medicine but not military). This will probably change because of the economies of scale. Also, advanced computer technology doesn't stay expensive forever unless their reimbursement is based on a flaw in the government's solution to the economic calculation problem in a centralized health care financing administration.

Last edited:
Just like the title states, I'm curious as to what medical specialties are in the greatest demand / have the greatest shortage currently in the Navy.

Thanks!

From what I have seen: FP, general IM, Psych, and neurosurgery. Psych is probably the worst shortage, from what I've seen.