Which neuro conference to attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeebs23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS4 interested in applying Neurology this cycle. Just wondering if anyone thought it was worth it going to a Neurology conference to network and have a chance to meet PDs as well as gain insight into residencies programs. Also any recommendation as to which conference is better to attend? AAN (Las Vegas in October) or ANA (Chicago in September). Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the level of your research. ANA is smaller, and devotes a lot of resources to young investigators, and is very "top heavy" meaning that a lot of the people attending the conference are movers and shakers. If you have an abstract and a research direction, you can get a lot of hands-on attention which can be great for your early career. The ANA is really for academic people and trainees.

The AAN is bigger -- but the date you mentioned is for the fall conference, which is not the annual meeting. The annual meeting of the Academy is in the spring. I don't know literally anyone who goes to the fall conference. Tons of people go to AAN (the real meeting, not the fall one), and many aren't very invested. The big cheeses are there, but the abstract sessions are a cattle call and you're more likely to get lost in the shuffle. The upside is that there is a lot of breadth (at the expense of depth). The AAN is how a lot of private practice people stay in touch with each other and catch some CMEs, maybe take a couple of courses. They've done some work in the last few years to really increase the level of scientific discourse, with decent results. MS tends to be huge there because it's a drug development darling and they pay for a lot of booths in the exhibit hall. And they have a fun run.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input. Sorry but I'm still a little confused...in your opinion do you think I would have more opportunity to network with residents/directors at AAN or ANA? Or are you saying it probably won't be worth going to either as it isn't the main conference.

Members don't see this ad :)
ANA is a fall conference. AAN is a spring conference. I would not go to the fall AAN session. If you have a research direction and are interested in input and mentorship, ANA is great. If not, then go to AAN and catch what you can. Personally I think ANA is more useful for residents on a research/academic track. But then again I'm not sure you'll get much out of AAN or ANA if you haven't started training, unless you have a mentor who is going to introduce you to people.

thanks for your input, typhoonegator

it seems that AAN is worth the time for MS. but if i missed the AAN spring conference, is there any slight networking value to attend the fall conference?

I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't know anyone who attends the fall conference. I haven't either. I kind of doubt a lot of PDs would be at the fall AAN meeting. If it's close to home and not too expensive, then I guess it could be useful. I think in general people over-estimate the yield of conferences at your career stage, particularly if you don't have a poster or talk to start conversations. They can be fun, but are much more of a luxury than a necessity. If you feel like you really want to go to something this fall, ANA would be more worth your time, in my opinion. Just a few weeks away, though!