Which New York Oral Surgery programs are actually good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppin_them_8z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm looking to apply to Oral surgery programs this coming year.
I was looking at New York and noticed that it has a LOTof Oral Surgery programs... now what I wanna know is which ones are actually good and teach u a lot when u get out? Which ones are worth applying to. I mean when i get out, i wanna be able to do a variety of things well, rather than have to take a bunch of continuing ed courses after my OMFS degree to learn it! any residents from new york schools than can give some advice on this matter??

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you any specifics, but in general the NY programs have a reputation of being pretty bread-n-butter, not pushing the scope very much. But if you just want to do private practice....they're all accredited.

Why New York? There are great programs all over the US and then you won't have to live in or near NYC.

poppin_them_8z said:
Ok guys, I'm looking to apply to Oral surgery programs this coming year.
I was looking at New York and noticed that it has a LOTof Oral Surgery programs... now what I wanna know is which ones are actually good and teach u a lot when u get out? Which ones are worth applying to. I mean when i get out, i wanna be able to do a variety of things well, rather than have to take a bunch of continuing ed courses after my OMFS degree to learn it! any residents from new york schools than can give some advice on this matter??

My chairman always emphasizes to applicants that if you want a broad scoped practice you need to train at a broad scoped program. It is not really possible to expand your scope beyond your training with CE in OMFS. Its a lot easier to limit yourself to, say, thirds and implants rather than decide to learn neck dissections in 2 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard LIJ, and NYU were decent. any input anyone?

From what I have gathered from talking to classmates who will be going there next year, Montifore is a pretty good omfs program....broad scope and a lot of hands on training.

It is a 4 year program with an optional MD at the end of your 4 year training.

Are there a lot of programs that have an optional MD after 4 year training? Sounds like a fantastic idea!

Actually its not a really good one because you don't get a licence with that MD which means that in an increasing number of states you will never be able to even advertise/state that you have it...that is of course unless you're willing to do ANOTHER year of residency to get the license.

River13 said:
Actually its not a really good one because you don't get a licence with that MD which means that in an increasing number of states you will never be able to even advertize/state that you have it...that is of course unless you're willing to do ANOTHER year of residency to get the license.

That's true. A lot of oms residents that I know of didnt bother getting the optional MD after 4 years.

unlvdmd said:
Are there a lot of programs that have an optional MD after 4 year training? Sounds like a fantastic idea!

Let's call a spade a spade:

4 Year OMFS Program with Optional MD = 7 Year OMFS Program

6 Year OMFS Program with Integrated MD = 6 Year OMFS Program

If you want the MD, you should go to a 6-year program, not a 7-year program.

Ive also heard good things about Montefiore thru upper classmen and OMFS Faculty. Thast about all I can say....

Quick question, so for instance one goes to a 4 yr OMFS program and graduates, if for whatever reason he/she decides to move to a more restrictive state (i.e one requiring an MD for full scope prac) how could they go about getting a MD? and how long?

for these omfs residencies do the residents get paid? and how much more will an oral surgeon make then a general practitioner?

what would be the point of getting the md anyway?