Which of these molecules is more polar? (from AAMC 7)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skizye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Because OH allows it to hydrogen bond.

The ketone is thermodynamically favored because it doesn't have separation of charge, so don't count on its resonance form to make a significant contribution to its polarity.

This is from question 98 on AAMC 7 (but it is not the whole question).
Untitled.png
The answer says that the alcohol is more polar because it contains an -OH group. How does the OH group make it more polar?
I reasoned that the resonance forms of the ketone (which has a - charge on oxygen) would make the ketone more polar.

Dude, really not cool posting an AAMC question here. I am taking AAMC 7 on Tuesday...

You need to post the q's in AAMC exam specific questions. You should delete this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from question 98 on AAMC 7 (but it is not the whole question).
Untitled.png
The answer says that the alcohol is more polar because it contains an -OH group. How does the OH group make it more polar?
I reasoned that the resonance forms of the ketone (which has a - charge on oxygen) would make the ketone more polar.

Post it here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aamc-cbt7-and-7r-official-q-a.516255/

Really though delete this ASAP so it does not ruin it for more people who want to use the AAMC's as diagnostic/predictors.

Last edited:
My mistake.. It is really a small part of the question though as I mentioned. How do I delete the thread?

My mistake.. It is really a small part of the question though as I mentioned. How do I delete the thread?

No worries, just delete the content of your first post by clicking "edit" and then put a "." instead.