Which of these schools are PBL-oriented?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corgi_2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a few years I plan on applying to these schools: UCLA, UCSF, NYU, UPenn, Columbia, USC, Boston University, Harvard, University of Maryland, University of Illinois, University of North Carolina.

Looking at the USC threads I can infer that it's heavily based around PBL. Do you guys know if the other schools I listed are 100% PBL (or at least more than 1/2-PBL and 1/2-lectures)? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's PBL?:confused:
Already googled it.

What's PBL?:confused:
Already googled it.
IIRC, problem based learning is a method of instruction where you work in a group with other students to understand a given topic. Schools like USC put more emphasis on PBL as opposed to traditional lecturing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Upenn and Columbia are NOT PBL-oriented.

It wasn't on your list but I see you listed NY schools. I recently interviewed at Stony Brook and the dean said it was PBL. They also have a really small class size.

We do this to a degree at BU. Worry about doing well in school, not PBL.
I agree, I actually enjoy PBL unlike most people. We did it often in my Physiology class. It's just that I find it easier to learn in a traditional lecture setting.

Reactions: 1 user