Which one of these SUNY schools should I go to?

helpmedecide33

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior who is stuck between 3 schools. I visited all 3 of them and I liked the campuses, environment, etc. but I was wondering if anyone knew which one is the best for someone who intends to be a bio major/pre-med? I know I'll get accepted to all of them (I have good grades, SAT scores, extracurriculars) so that's not an issue.

SUNY Brockport

SUNY Cortland

SUNY Albany

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a senior who is stuck between 3 schools. I visited all 3 of them and I liked the campuses, environment, etc. but I was wondering if anyone knew which one is the best for someone who intends to be a bio major/pre-med? I know I'll get accepted to all of them (I have good grades, SAT scores, extracurriculars) so that's not an issue.

SUNY Brockport

SUNY Cortland

SUNY Albany

Go where you will be happiest and most comfortable. I think small class sizes help as well. I started at community college (Nassau) and that did not hurt me when it came down to med school admission (though I did not apply to many private "prestigious" med schools)....Binghamton may be a great school but its a a less than ideal location (unless you're into cloudy skies and depressed economies)

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would go to University of Buffalo (if you'd be comfortable there), it has the best pre-med program and medical school of all the SUNY schools and has a guaranteed assurance program for any student with a 1400+ SAT upon acceptance and a 3.75 GPA. If you meet those requirements, you don't even need to take the MCAT.

Otherwise, I would personally go to UAlbany, because they have a medical school as well (I don't know about guaranteed assurance) but I have spoken to med school students/doctors who graduated from UB and they said schools really like students that were in their undergrad program, and you would have that advantage if you went to UAlbany.

If your grades are amazing and/or you qualify for financial aid, see about University of Rochester. It's private and expensive, but if you can get a scholarship or a lot of financial aid, they are tied to Strong Memorial, which is an absolutely great teaching hospital. Their med school is stellar as well.

Personally, I would go to University of Buffalo (if you'd be comfortable there), it has the best pre-med program and medical school of all the SUNY schools and has a guaranteed assurance program for any student with a 1400+ SAT upon acceptance and a 3.75 GPA. If you meet those requirements, you don't even need to take the MCAT.

Otherwise, I would personally go to UAlbany, because they have a medical school as well (I don't know about guaranteed assurance) but I have spoken to med school students/doctors who graduated from UB and they said schools really like students that were in their undergrad program, and you would have that advantage if you went to UAlbany.

If your grades are amazing and/or you qualify for financial aid, see about University of Rochester. It's private and expensive, but if you can get a scholarship or a lot of financial aid, they are tied to Strong Memorial, which is an absolutely great teaching hospital. Their med school is stellar as well.

Albany Medical College is a private school and affiliated with Union University. Of the 3, Albany is the best choice because you can get involved with research in the medical school and get letters from professors. I agree, though, SUNY at Buffalo would be better.