Which OOS-friendly schools? 19AA 25PA (15QR ) & 4.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarlynChemaris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Brace yourself. The "your QR is too low" responses are coming.

Reactions: 2 users
The 15QR may be a deal-breaker. Most schools require a 17+ in all sections of the DAT. Even though QR generally isn't a huge factor in application review, it's still probably going to cost you interviews and acceptances. I would re-write it and aim to score higher. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it'd be better to score higher and sit in a comfortable spot with regards to your stats than to be rejected automatically and forego all the time/money on apps just for not meeting the cutoff. Your GPA is amazing so by re-writing and meeting the cut-off/scoring higher, you'll probably get interviews at most schools of your choice! Good luck, regardless of what you choose to do :)

EDIT: Amazing PAT score btw!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The 15QR may be a deal-breaker. Most schools require a 17+ in all sections of the DAT. Even though QR generally isn't a huge factor in application review, it's still probably going to cost you interviews and acceptances. I would re-write it and aim to score higher. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it'd be better to score higher and sit in a comfortable spot with regards to your stats than to be rejected automatically and forego all the time/money on apps just for not meeting the cutoff. Your GPA is amazing so by re-writing and meeting the cut-off/scoring higher, you'll probably get interviews at most schools of your choice! Good luck, regardless of what you choose to do :)

EDIT: Amazing PAT score btw!!!
You're totally right. I have heard a lot of people said may schools have cutoffs around 17. However, in the 2015/2016 official guide to dental schools of ADA (whatever the name is), I saw there are few schools actually have cutoffs. Most of them don't mention about cutoffs. Isn't the offical guide trustful? Or where should I check for the cutoffs? Their websites? Call them? Thanks

You're fine, I know someone who got in with similar stats as yours but 13 QR.

Reactions: 1 users
You're totally right. I have heard a lot of people said may schools have cutoffs around 17. However, in the 2015/2016 official guide to dental schools of ADA (whatever the name is), I saw there are few schools actually have cutoffs. Most of them don't mention about cutoffs. Isn't the offical guide trustful? Or where should I check for the cutoffs? Their websites? Call them? Thanks
I don't know where half of these people get their information....I have a 15QR myself, and thus have intensely researched said "cutoffs." With that being said, schools who DO have cutoffs for QR are in the extreme minority....

Thats not to say schools without cutoffs won't view such as score as a "red flag," but they wont necessarily outright deny you because of it.

Reactions: 1 users

I don't know where half of these people get their information....I have a 15QR myself, and thus have intensely researched said "cutoffs." With that being said, schools who DO have cutoffs for QR are in the extreme minority....

Thats not to say schools without cutoffs won't view such as score as a "red flag," but they wont necessarily outright deny you because of it.

"Half these people" get their info from schools they've contacted, what others have posted and from the ADEA dental guide. I should've mentioned earlier that those were my sources. However, nowhere did I say OP wouldn't get in at all or get zero interviews (notice that I said "may"). I also didn't say exceptions have never been made and outliers have never made it. When I called some of the schools I was interested in (before I had written the DAT and wasn't sure how to quantitatively differentiate between a "good" score and "bad" score, some schools had told me there was no cutoff and encouraged me to write the DAT and apply. Others recommended that despite not having a firm cut-off, they recommended that applicants aim to get 16/17+ per section or consider rewriting. OP asked for an opinion and as I said before, I would still consider re-writing if I were in your shoes just for my own peace of mind and reassurance. As one of the other posters mentioned, the guide isn't always 100% correct either so your best bet is to call the schools you're looking to apply to confirm. Your GPA is stellar though so maybe schools will look past it. Good luck anyhow and if you're interested to know who I called and what they had said, send me a PM and I'll give you what I was told! :)

I would still consider re-writing if I were in your shoes just for my own peace of mind and reassurance.
This is so true. It's hard to tell how my chance is. Getting into dental schools isn't all about the GPA, so having a better DAT will peace my mind. The thing is my top school's deadline is November, so retaking the DAT around the end of October will be too late.

If I was in your shoes, I would personally retake the DAT since a 15 in any section can raise some flags even if the rest are fine.
You can always apply now and submit your second DAT later. The thing is each school has different ways of judging your DAT scores. When taking multiple DATs, some will take the latest score, some will take the averages, others will take the highest score in each section, etc.

But if you are unsure, I suggest calling or emailing the school of your choice and see what they say.
I spoke to the dean of my top school of choice and he straight up told me that he would not like to see a score lower than 18 on any section of the DAT.

Best of luck.

I am not trying to sound mean here but why does it seem like most people who don't do well on a section do so with QR? It was the easiest section for me and I did not even study (took 3 practice tests got like 21.) I also didn't have any math classes for over a year prior.

I am not trying to sound mean here but why does it seem like most people who don't do well on a section do so with QR? It was the easiest section for me and I did not even study (took 3 practice tests got like 21.) I also didn't have any math classes for over a year prior.

Some people just underestimate it and put it as the last subject to study. Math is one thing, math while timed and being the last subject after an incredibly exhausting exam is another thing entirely. I actually delayed my exam two whole months for math alone, it was incredibly hard for me and had to relearn everything >.>

"Half these people" get their info from schools they've contacted, what others have posted and from the ADEA dental guide. I should've mentioned earlier that those were my sources. However, nowhere did I say OP wouldn't get in at all or get zero interviews (notice that I said "may"). I also didn't say exceptions have never been made and outliers have never made it. When I called some of the schools I was interested in (before I had written the DAT and wasn't sure how to quantitatively differentiate between a "good" score and "bad" score, some schools had told me there was no cutoff and encouraged me to write the DAT and apply. Others recommended that despite not having a firm cut-off, they recommended that applicants aim to get 16/17+ per section or consider rewriting. OP asked for an opinion and as I said before, I would still consider re-writing if I were in your shoes just for my own peace of mind and reassurance. As one of the other posters mentioned, the guide isn't always 100% correct either so your best bet is to call the schools you're looking to apply to confirm. Your GPA is stellar though so maybe schools will look past it. Good luck anyhow and if you're interested to know who I called and what they had said, send me a PM and I'll give you what I was told! :)

OP
After you PM kayden

Just tell us his secret....

And don't worry about your stats....

4.0 gpa
20+ for all important DAT sections.....

You basically have an A- worth of an Application.... And a C- for confidence.

Some people just underestimate it and put it as the last subject to study. Math is one thing, math while timed and being the last subject after an incredibly exhausting exam is another thing entirely. I actually delayed my exam two whole months for math alone, it was incredibly hard for me and had to relearn everything >.>

I think that it is interesting how the U.S consistently lags behind the world in academics and specifically math and it shows here among future doctors who are suppose to be the top of the top academically. Some countries REQUIRE a score of over 95% on WRITTEN tests that include math tests that contain subjects through Calculus 1 and early Calculus 2. Not some multiple choice test that goes through middle school math topics.

Once again I am not bashing anyone nor am I saying how well you do on a stupid math test effects your abaility to become a competent doctor. I just think it is interesting how we as a people lag behind in these core subjects regardless of how good our educational system is.

Edit: Maybe this is why our med/dental schools are full of Indians/Asians/Arabs like myself.

I think that it is interesting how the U.S consistently lags behind the world in academics and specifically math and it shows here among future doctors who are suppose to be the top of the top academically. Some countries REQUIRE a score of over 95% on WRITTEN tests that include math tests that contain subjects through Calculus 1 and early Calculus 2. Not some multiple choice test that goes through middle school math topics.

Once again I am not bashing anyone nor am I saying how well you do on a stupid math test effects your abaility to become a competent doctor. I just think it is interesting how we as a people lag behind in these core subjects regardless of how good our educational system is.

Edit: Maybe this is why our med/dental schools are full of Indians/Asians/Arabs like myself.

Holy moly

Yea though you may be correct.... U.S. ROCKS and is Leader.

Edit to your edit: Indians Asians Arabs in dental ? Full of them? Hmmmm
Whaite, I mean wait a minute.....

That was what I thought. I did well on my college math classes and thought math would be the easiest section. That's why I spent few hours to study. Not everything goes as we expect. I guess that your QR section didn't have 30 words problems out of 40 questions. I didn't say it was hard. It's just time consuming, and that's why people didn't do well. And if your QR section was just the same as mine, you're truly smart.

Holy moly

Yea though you may be correct.... U.S. ROCKS and is Leader.

Edit to your edit: Indians Asians Arabs in dental ? Full of them? Hmmmm
Whaite, I mean wait a minute.....
Asians: They are an Over-representative minority in both medical and dental
Arabs: are considered White on the census so we are undetected
Indians: more so in medical but still over represented in both fields.

Asians: They are an Over-representative minority in both medical and dental
Arabs: are considered White on the census so we are undetected
Indians: more so in medical but still over represented in both fields.

And how about the millions of Asians that can't even read......one person's math score does not represent an entire country....:thinking: