Which option is best?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhereMyLiberalsAt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends if you are wanting to go MD/DO, stats, when you want to start medical school, etc. If you want to apply MD and start medical school by fall 2018, then I would suggest option 2. If you want to apply DO and start medical school by fall 2018, then option 1 is reasonable and so is option 2. (obviously the earlier you can submit a full application the better, but August MCAT is still not considered too late for that cycle). If you are wanting to apply MD and go option 1, odds are you will have to wait until fall 2019 to start. (Spend summer 2018 applying, MD cycle is shorter). Personally, I feel Kaplan's biochemistry review book did a great job at covering biochemistry basics and very sufficient for the MCAT. If you did option 2, you would have to learn some of the biochemistry material ahead of schedule compared to in class. It all depends on what you personal set timeline.

If you've taken the intro bio classes and done well, you can probably teach your self the info needed to do well on the Bio/biochem section. Khan academy and Kaplan do a good job of presenting this info and it wouldn't be a bad idea to just use your Biochem textbook to supplement the info. August might put you a bit behind in the application cycle for MD schools but if you have your entire app complete and submitted by the time your MCAT scores would come back in September you should be ok.

Currently waiting for mcat scores, but I took it w/out biochem. Honestly, the tests I have taken weren't too biochem heavy. The kaplan book was perfect for prep. Metabolism can be tricky, though.