which option is better??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the10isplyr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
should I include a minor which will make me look like a well-rounded student- Urban Affairs and Policy- or drop the minor and replace those classes with upper level biology classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, they don't look that closely at a minor. I don't think I ever had it come up in a single interview.

With that said, if it's something you enjoy, then do it. If you enjoy biology classes more, than do those.

Depends on your major...if you are in the biological sciences already...I would say get a minor....Either way... I will get a minor and probably take just one upper biology class..( I am sure you can handle it) :) gluck

Members don't see this ad :)
the Minor is just extra EC's take classes the will help your gpa esp. your science gpa.

I got a political science minor. I got it out of personal interest and did not really think about how it would affect my application. It has been mentioned at a few (esp b/c I took Health and Welfare Policy) and it gave me some interesting experiences to discuss.

That said one thing to take into consideration is the number of courses need for the minor. Mine was only 5 (and one I placed out of- AP credit), so senior year I only took poli sci and upper bio electives (incl. 2 grad level microbiology course). It was honestly my favorite year of classes.

by upper level biology courses, do you mean graduate school courses?

Yeah, I'm going to be a biochemistry major (changing from biological sciences) and when I showed my advisor that I would get that minor in urban and public affiars, she said it was a good idea and it would look good to medical schools since i'd look like an all-rounder. But, I worry because as far as i know, the more advanced courses prepare you better for the MCATs (can anyone affirm this, btw?)

thanks

Edit: the minor requires about 27 hours of coursework with the pre-reqs

Upper level biology course are not that advantegeous on the MCAT (unless it's biochem/cellular heavy). I found the MCAT to be pretty body systems heavy (make sense).

I think getting my minor really helped my critical reading, so I rocked the verbal section (added bonus!)

how is your science gpa? if it is low, you should probably take the upper level bio courses to bump it up as much as possible. otherwise, i think minoring in something you're interested in is always a plus.

how is your science gpa? if it is low, you should probably take the upper level bio courses to bump it up as much as possible. otherwise, i think minoring in something you're interested in is always a plus.

Well, I have a 4.0 right now...but I only have one semester under my belt

I still can't decide between minoring versus upper levels

Some adcom members tell me that they look at the list of courses taken (on your AMCAS) and they look down on the applicant who has taken only science courses, even if it includes upper level courses, and the one or two required courses in humanities particularly if it is something lame like "Introduction to [language I grew up speaking at home]" or "The Monster in Film".

So, having a selection of courses in the social sciences (if you are a biological or physical sciences major), or the humanities is a boost. Watch out, too for too many credits in music performance. Why is it that "Orchestra" always seems to be graded "A"?

GET A MINOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly, taking advance level classes will NOT help for the MCAT...besides you are already a biochemistry major...You will learn all you need for the MCAT by taking bio 1 and 2, Genetics and cell biology.......

Secondly,like your advisor said, it will look good having a minor( I am not sure how much it will help)..but I am sure IT WILL NOT HURT....gluck

thanks!!
anyone else?

Get the minor or take other non-science classes that you find interesting.