Which Philly suburb to live in? Buy or rent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lake Powell Lvr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who's been accepted to Temple been researching the housing situation? Basically what I've heard from numerous people who live out there is the same list of suburbs to live in: Manayunk/Roxborough, Upper Darby/Lansdowne, and Audubon/King of Prussia. Does anyone have any info, opinions, anything? You guys buying or renting? Where are you looking? etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Lake Powell Lvr said:
Has anyone who's been accepted to Temple been researching the housing situation? Basically what I've heard from numerous people who live out there is the same list of suburbs to live in: Manayunk/Roxborough, Upper Darby/Lansdowne, and Audubon/King of Prussia. Does anyone have any info, opinions, anything? You guys buying or renting? Where are you looking? etc.

Hey. Well, I'm from the area. Manayunk/Roxborough are really nice. Manayunk especilly. It has a cute little town kind of feel. Plus, it sounds like a lot of the studnets from Temple live around there. I just don't know anything about how much rent is.

Upper Darby is a little on the seedy side depending on where you go. At least that's awlays the impression that I got. Lansdowne is pretty nice, thought I've never been up there a long period of time.

Audubon is a little kind of communter community where people just go to work. If you're driving into Philly, I'd advise against the Audubon/KOP area. Traffic is like the worst thing ever! I remember once in the middle of the day I drove up there and one of the roads was so backed up it too k me 20 minutes to go a mile. Not to mention they are ALWAYS working on 202. And I don't think there's any train stations or anything.

I'd also suggest looking into Bryn Mawr. It's a really spiffy little swank community. On the Main LIne...kinda ritzy. But it's nice and there's a train station right there. Not sure how far it'd be to drive into the city and you could prob only get an apartment. Houses are insanely crazy. But it's a really nice area. Especilly if you've got a family and kids. Wickedly good school distrcits too. :thumbup: BUt again, I don't know how you plan on getting to school or how long you want your community to be.

Let me know if you have nay other questions. If you want more info on like driving times or whatever, let me know and I can ask around. My parents could give me travel times because they used to work in the city. :laugh: