Which Physics??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which physics to take? I want to go to Northwestern or Vandy, and they both reccomend Calc physics. I have heard Calc physics is "impossible", "the hardest class ever." Is Calc based a lot more difficult? I do well in Calculus now.

Members don't see this ad.

It was difficult to me, but I got As. If you arent confident you can pull an A or B, I would say go for trig based.

They are essentially the same physics. If you have the calculus background, there is no reason why calc physics would be harder than algebra based physics. Honestly, I do not understand why they even split up the subject into two separate classes. They cover the exact same material. It's silly. Take what ever gets you the most traction for your med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
In non calculus physics, equations come out of nowhere, and you use them.

In calculus based physics, equations come out of nowhere, with that you derive more equations, which are then the ones you use.

There's a big difference!

In non calculus physics, equations come out of nowhere, and you use them.

In calculus based physics, equations come out of nowhere, with that you derive more equations, which are then the ones you use.

There's a big difference!

bah. It's all physics. Just take one, don't freak out about it. You only need to worry if you don't have the calc coming in. It's certainly a doable class.

At my school the main difference is in the quality of the students. It's not that calculus based physics is all that different- the first semester is almost identical. It's mostly that better/ more engineering type students do the calc based series. There was a large difference at my school. It was a lot of work, but I loved the calc physics. Good luck

It really depends on you. In some ways, non-calculus physics is easier as you don't have to derive anything. But, calculus based physics can give you a better understanding of WHY you do things and WHERE equations come from, which can make things easier to remember and understand and all that. So, if you want to just memorize and don't really like math, go for non-calc based. If you're someone that doesn't mind doing a few derivatives or integrals and likes to know how things are related and all that, then take the calc based physics. In most intro physics classes, the math isn't too bad - typically there's only a few types of derivatives and integrals so once you've got it, it's just the same things over and over.

I have heard Calc physics is "impossible", "the hardest class ever."

That's a load of elephant crap. If you understand calculus, you will do just as well in cal based physics as you would have in trig based. That doesn't mean you'll do well, but you wouldn't have done better if only you'd taken trig based.

Physics is like ochem. Take advantage of the practice problems in your book.

Also, in these classes especially, there is no such thing as "optional problems". They are optional if you want a C, not optional if you strive for an A.

it doesnt matter which one u take...as long as u do well, med schools wont tell the difference nor do they really care honestly, usually the less calculus based are better in my opinion because they really prepare u for mcat where the calculus dont...they are much to involved...just my opinion, go wherever is easier...i know it sounds bad, but honestly, med schools wont tell the difference, nor do they really care....dont listen to the rest of these people in the forums...they are way to invovled and will say calc is the only way to go...remember...only 3000 people are registered here, thats including med stuents, dental students , etc and that only makes up a tiny portion of people...most students take the easier route which i did and it payed off

it doesnt matter which one u take...as long as u do well, med schools wont tell the difference nor do they really care honestly, usually the less calculus based are better in my opinion because they really prepare u for mcat where the calculus dont...they are much to involved...

med schools wont tell the difference, nor do they really care....

dont listen to the rest of these people in the forums...they are way to invovled...

most students take the easier route which i did and it payed off

Exactly what is your qualification for making this statement. Since you didn't take cal-physics, how can you claim to know if it prepares you for the MCAT or not (it does). How do you know if med schools care? The op specifically stated he wants to go to particular schools which RECOMMEND cal-physics. Are you telling me they recommend the course but they don't even notice if you take it or not?

I also find it odd that you say other posters are 'too involved' (excuse me, "to invovled") as if this were a bad thing. In med school you are expected to UNDERSTAND and apply material (at least once you're on the wards), which is exactly what you're required to do in cal-physics. Are you saying there's something wrong with future doctors wanting to understand their material rather than just plug and chug?

Also, in what way has it paid (or is it payed???) off for you? What was your MCAT score? Do you have any acceptances?

It's funny. Half the time in calc-based physics you end up deriving an equation that has nothing to do with calculus anyway. I think I maybe did two or three integrals/derivatives in my "calc-based" physics course.

It's not bad. A's are difficult to get, B's are a cinch to get usually, considering level 1 and 2 physics classes tend to be filled with mediocre students or people that just usually don't take physics.

It's not that much different from algebra-based in mechanics. Then you get to electromagnetism, where it does get involved, depending on how your course is taught. Just avoid that instinctive fear when you see an integral symbol and you'll be fine.

At my school the main difference is in the quality of the students. It's not that calculus based physics is all that different- the first semester is almost identical. It's mostly that better/ more engineering type students do the calc based series. There was a large difference at my school. It was a lot of work, but I loved the calc physics. Good luck

which is the reason i'd take the non-calc class. easier to compete with the dumb kids, and better to get an A in non-calc than a C in calc-based

Im taking algebra based. I'd recommend it. Frees up more time to study AnP.

just buy a TI-89 and take calc-based
you get to avoid the premeds and take it with the dumb engineers :)

Huge plus. Although engineers can definitely get on my nerves also.

But on the whole they aren't half as bad.

which is the reason i'd take the non-calc class. easier to compete with the dumb kids, and better to get an A in non-calc than a C in calc-based

Yes and no, you also get a lot of gunner pre-meds in the non-calc class that work way harder than a good number of the actual science majors.

thanks for all the help! I think I will take it