Which Physiology Book to choose? - Berne & Levy OR Boron & Boulpaep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelewn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Soon I have to learn physiology and my university has chosen Berne & Levy's Physiology book (6th edition) as the book we have to read. I've read a lot about it online and people have quite different views on the book.

1. What is your opinion about the book? How does it compare to other big books (specially Boron & Boulpaep's Medical Physiology)?

2. Are there certain chapters that must be read in another book? Can you tell me in which book(s) I should read those chapters/subjects in instead?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My school uses Guyton & Hall-- between the "big" Guyton and "baby" Guyton it's worked out well for me. I'd actually recommend "baby Guyton" (Pocket Guide to Physiology) as a reference. I've never heard of either of those options.

Good luck!

Hello

Soon I have to learn physiology and my university has chosen Berne & Levy's Physiology book (6th edition) as the book we have to read. I've read a lot about it online and people have quite different views on the book.

1. What is your opinion about the book? How does it compare to other big books (specially Boron & Boulpaep's Medical Physiology)?

2. Are there certain chapters that must be read in another book? Can you tell me in which book(s) I should read those chapters/subjects in instead?

Thanks a lot guys :)

I thought Berne and Levy was excellent for in-depth reading but I really mostly used Costanzo text (and the BRS by Costanzo).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not familiar with these resources. I think that physiology is best learned by doing questions, and BRS physiology is good for a very simple resource; Guyton physiology review book is about 1000 questions much more in depth if you have the time to commit to it.

i used BRS and Boron. Boron was strictly for looking up stuff i didn't understand that the professors at school wanted us to know.

We used Boron and Costanzo. I thought Boron was in depth, but time consuming. I liked Costanzo, very readable.

Reactions: 1 user
Costanzo and BRS costanzo. The BRS has practice questions which are good

Reactions: 2 users
Berne & Levy is a great book if you're only taking Physiology. Otherwise, do what everyone else says and use BRS Physio (Costanzo) and supplement with Levy or Guyton to understand further detail. Hell, my undergrad Silverthorn text came in handy for Endo/Repro.

Costanzo is great, but it's missing a few systems so supplementation may be needed. Doesn't have heme, MSK, or derm. So not the biggest deal, but it's something worth knowing.

Definite no to Berne & Levy. I would only consider Boron if you've taken an extensive undergrad/post-bacc course in physio.

By far the most efficient way to approach physiology is Big Costanzo and then review with BRS-- this is nearly completely sufficient for med school-level physiology if you supplement it with your lecture material. I personally think that Guyton is worth reading after Costanzo (at least his CV sections), but is in no way necessary.

Boron really presses the line between medical physiology and general physiolgoy. Berne & Levy is just bad.

I'm glad a classmate had a PDF copy of Boron because I rarely used it except, as others said, to reference or look up something I didn't know. But brs was more than good enough for our expected level of understanding.

Avoid Boron like the plague. Our Physiology course was primarily taught out of it. Way too time consuming. Most of us used Guyton, augmented with BRS, Costanzo and the LANGE series for renal, GI, and endocrine.
The Guyton review question book was a great resource for practice.

Thanks for all the comments! Keep them coming :)
Berne & Levy is a great book if you're only taking Physiology.
I am taking Physiology and nothing else for 4-5 months. Can you elaborate on what you think is great about Berne & Levy's book?

Berne & Levy is just bad.
Can you elaborate on this please?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments! Keep them coming :)

I am taking Physiology and nothing else for 4-5 months. Can you elaborate on what you think is great about Berne & Levy's book?

Can you elaborate on this please?
It somehow manages to be both pedantic and riddled with errors.