Which post baccs am I competitive for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostBacc2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to switch careers. Senior at an ivy league school, 3.6 GPA, Econ major. I'm looking into some of the post baccs with linkage programs... (temple, goucher, bryn mawr, JHU, etc). Does anyone know the competitiveness of these post bacc programs and if they take new graduates? Would it be better to take an extra year and summer at my university instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They definitely take new graduates...a bit tougher but still doable

Reactions: 1 user
I'm considered a recent grad as well and I got into several programs you'd mentioned. Definitely worth a shot applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking to switch careers. Senior at an ivy league school, 3.6 GPA, Econ major. I'm looking into some of the post baccs with linkage programs... (temple, goucher, bryn mawr, JHU, etc). Does anyone know the competitiveness of these post bacc programs and if they take new graduates? Would it be better to take an extra year and summer at my university instead?

As a fellow econ graduate and banker who has been attempting to transition into medicine, I am sure that you will do great. If I was you, I would apply across the board to Temple, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, JHU, Brandeis, U Penn, Scripps, U Conn (Plan A) and a few of the other top post baccs. Only take classes at your local institution if you haven't gained acceptance to one of the post baccs above. The linkage is seriously clutch at some of these institutions and you won't have to deal with the application headache that I have been dealing with.

As long as you have some volunteering/shadowing and a solid answer to why medicine you should be set at one of the post baccs listed above. I am assuming that your ACT>33 and your SAT is >2250 to end up at an ivy studying econ.

Last edited:
I would recommend to apply. No one on this forum can tell you whether you're competitive enough or not. Only an admission committee can. Each post-bac program is competitive because they only accept a small number of applicants from the hundreds of applications they received each cycle. The best you can do is to apply and do your best to represent who you are on the essays. Then, let the admission committee decide whether they want to grant you an interview and/or accept you into their program. Sometimes your rejection into these programs has nothing to do with your numbers/essays. It's also about timing and how early/late your application is submitted. You can have the best GPA/MCAT score/great essays, but if you apply late in the cycle, your application can get overlook very easily.

Thanks for all the help guys. Am I applying too late? Most programs have a deadline of March 1st (rolling admissions). I am submitting my applications this week (had to sort out a serious grading error on my transcript before applying)

Thanks for all the help guys. Am I applying too late? Most programs have a deadline of March 1st (rolling admissions). I am submitting my applications this week (had to sort out a serious grading error on my transcript before applying)

Not at all. Just apply, but make sure you do your best to represent yourself in those essays. they do take time to write/edit/revise.
I'm in the same boat. I applied to the UC post bac, now just waiting to hear back.