Which research should I pick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I applied to 2 labs, and assuming I get into both I dont know which to choose. I am interested in both topics being researched,
but one of them is a science lab that has a lot of "wet work", such as PCR, pipetting, DNA preparation, analysis, etc
and the other is a psychology lab, which is primarily conducting and helping to design surveys, etc

Which one would look better on a med school app, or does it not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably doesn't matter.

If you are only interested in a resume boost: Wet Lab. Most summer research programs ask you for your lab skills and training and they are almost always wet lab skills, sometimes even exclusively.

Alternatively, pick the lab that is most likely to publish/present so you can get your name on it.

Ideally, pick the lab that you would enjoy the most and filled with the nicer, more tolerable environment.

I, for one, cannot stand wet lab work. It's tedious, repetitive, and could probably be done by a monkey - but it is the most common area of lab work in the basic sciences so you are well-equipped for performing basic science research in the future.

Doesn't matter. Pick whichever interests you more. If anything, go with the one that will provide more autonomy in terms of direct participation in the process of scientific inquiry. Go with whichever will allow you to participate more with hypothesis formation/data analysis/presentation/publication that sort of thing over research that just seems like scut work.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can figure it out, pick the lab that will offer better mentorship. That could mean a more involved PI, or happier grad students, a longer track record of putting undergrads on manuscripts, etc.

As an undergrad there is very little chance that the topic you study will be relevant later in your career. What matters is learning the research process and mentorship makes all the difference in that.

If you can figure it out, pick the lab that will offer better mentorship. That could mean a more involved PI, or happier grad students, a longer track record of putting undergrads on manuscripts, etc.

As an undergrad there is very little chance that the topic you study will be relevant later in your career. What matters is learning the research process and mentorship makes all the difference in that.

I definitely agree with this.