which school do u think is harder to get into??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistry2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school is statistically harder to get into -columbia or upenn???

Members don't see this ad.

upenn

columbia will most likely take anybody that destroys the DAT's..regardless of GPA or other factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is not really a correct answer to your question. They are both tough to get into, as is any dental school. Depending on your stats and experiences, some schools may be a better fit for you than others. I've heard that UPenn likes to see excellent extracurricular accomplishments and I know Columbia weighs heavily on the DAT. Factor in your interests/accomplishments/stats when deciding where to apply and find out what the school's mission is.

If you're well rounded (ECs, DAT and GPA), then you should get into every school!

If you're well rounded (ECs, DAT and GPA), then you should get into every school!

What an amazing thought! Where did you hear this? Is it kaplan?

Well if you just look at the stats....it seems that Columbia cares more about DATs....their avg last yr was about a 22 and their GPA was upper 3.4 to 3.5 I believe. Penn on the other hand seems to put an emphasis on GPA. Their avg entering GPA was close to a 3.6 while their avg DAT was still around a 20. Hope this helps.

Well if you just look at the stats....it seems that Columbia cares more about DATs....their avg last yr was about a 22 and their GPA was upper 3.4 to 3.5 I believe. Penn on the other hand seems to put an emphasis on GPA. Their avg entering GPA was close to a 3.6 while their avg DAT was still around a 20. Hope this helps.

avg gpa for penns current freshman class went up to a 3.68 this year. i also kind of disagree with an earlier poster about penn and extracurrics. i think they weigh the most on gpa well over extracurrics. i can also tell you that penn doesnt even seem to look at PAT on the DAT.

avg gpa for penns current freshman class went up to a 3.68 this year. i also kind of disagree with an earlier poster about penn and extracurrics. i think they weigh the most on gpa well over extracurrics. i can also tell you that penn doesnt even seem to look at PAT on the DAT.

Wow, I'm glad to here that bec. i really want to go to penn. While I have decent EC......nothing sticks out as much as my gpa. I just wish my DAT was a bit higher.

Wow, I'm glad to here that bec. i really want to go to penn. While I have decent EC......nothing sticks out as much as my gpa. I just wish my DAT was a bit higher.

and harvard?
Ever notice in some people's signatures, they list the schools they've applied to, and it's like:
columbia, tufts, bu, upenn, uconn, nyu, ...every school in the northeast, but not harvard. ?

Do these people think they won't get in so they shouldn't give it a shot? Or do they think harvard sucks so hard it's not worth applying? But then again, why would they apply to columbia and not harvard? Columbia and harvard's curriculum are very similar, however, harvard is cheaper and harvard students always get into their choice of specialty.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever notice in some people's signatures, they list the schools they've applied to, and it's like:
columbia, tufts, bu, upenn, uconn, nyu, ...every school in the northeast, but not harvard. ?

Do these people think they won't get in so they shouldn't give it a shot? Or do they think harvard sucks so hard it's not worth applying? But then again, why would they apply to columbia and not harvard? Columbia and harvard's curriculum are very similar, however, harvard is cheaper and harvard students always get into their choice of specialty.:confused:

I'm not sure what the deal is. But it just seems like the general thought is that it isn't a good school. I've been told that the dent students are 2nd class citizens relative to the medical students. Also someone said that the dental program piggy backs on the medical program's history and doesn't really try and distinguish itself.

But then again, if you ask the students who go there, it seems like they really like it...the Harvard ASDA site said that the students really like each other as well. Maybe they're really good at brainwashing once the students start!!

Also, the whole PBL may not work well for some folks.

Just what I've heard though!! Hopefully some current harvard students can shed some light on it all rather than me telling heresay.

It's probably still really hard to grab a seat. Only 35 from what I remember, I wouldn't be suprised if some of the seats are held for alumni children??

I'm not sure what the deal is. But it just seems like the general thought is that it isn't a good school. I've been told that the dent students are 2nd class citizens relative to the medical students. Also someone said that the dental program piggy backs on the medical program's history and doesn't really try and distinguish itself.

But then again, if you ask the students who go there, it seems like they really like it...the Harvard ASDA site said that the students really like each other as well. Maybe they're really good at brainwashing once the students start!!

Also, the whole PBL may not work well for some folks.

Just what I've heard though!! Hopefully some current harvard students can shed some light on it all rather than me telling heresay.

It's probably still really hard to grab a seat. Only 35 from what I remember, I wouldn't be suprised if some of the seats are held for alumni children??

Yeah, i applied to all of those east coast schools and i didnt even think to apply to harvard -- someone told me not to apply, and somehow i felt that i had no chance of getting in. As for the Upenn vs. Columbia thing, i got an interview at columbia super quick, but didn't hear anything from penn -- can i safely assume they don't want me?

are penn and columbia really that much easier? if you've got a good shot at those two i'd think you'd at least have a chance at harvard, no?

Yeah, i applied to all of those east coast schools and i didnt even think to apply to harvard -- someone told me not to apply, and somehow i felt that i had no chance of getting in. As for the Upenn vs. Columbia thing, i got an interview at columbia super quick, but didn't hear anything from penn -- can i safely assume they don't want me?
Probably is your GPA (wouldn't lose hope yet)... Penn doesn't seem to care much for the DAT as much as GPA if you look at their entrance statistics as Columbia has an average of 20-something DAT which you have.

My overal gpa is like 3.77
and scgpa 3.81 bcp- 3.84
although my dat is 23/23/20 i guess the gpa is not good enough....
They told me that mine is under review...hope I get an interview....

By the way after getting the interview from Upenn it seems that the acceptance rate is pretty high like near 80-90%

ddsjymaeng, how's your GPA not good enough? you don't need to get a 4.0 to get in a school like UPenn, you know? In fact, I think you can get in both UPenn AND Columbia without much trouble.

By the way after getting the interview from Upenn it seems that the acceptance rate is pretty high like near 80-90%

Where did you get that info?! I doubt it can be that high since Penn is Ivy League and Ivy League schools shouldn't have to send out more acceptances than they can handle as many applicants have the Ivys near the top of their list of prospective schools.

it seems that if interviewing before december u get that kind of a chance...

Do these people think they won't get in so they shouldn't give it a shot? Or do they think harvard sucks so hard it's not worth applying? But then again, why would they apply to columbia and not harvard? Columbia and harvard's curriculum are very similar, however, harvard is cheaper and harvard students always get into their choice of specialty.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Harvard requires a year of college calculus. I wasn't about to take a year of calculus just to apply to Harvard.

Both are tough but statistically speaking Columbia has a higher DAT average but both are right up there on top of my list