Which school for Zoo/Exotics/Wildlife? (Penn, Tufts, or Ohio State)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njvet93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm deciding between three schools: Tufts, Penn and Ohio State. I am interested in zoo, exotics, wildlife and the plan is to pursue a zoo residency (if I somehow manage to land a zoo position right after vet school that may change things). I understand a general vet education primarily focuses on traditional species and that a zoo residency would be when I am very much focusing on my field of interest.

I guess I am looking to see if any current/past students at the listed schools with the same interests can shed some information on how they feel about the resources/opportunities available, curriculum, etc.

Thanks!

****Edit: I would like this answered from a perspective without tuition/fees in mind. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to the cheapest school. Especially when you're hoping to pursue a field where you're not going to be making anything near good money for years, minimizing your debt will do more for you than any sort of random opportunities at one school or another.

Reactions: 1 user
****Edit: I would like this answered from a perspective without tuition/fees in mind. Thank you
this is the most important factor. You shouldn't answer it without at least considering it.

It doesn't really matter which school. There are multiple exotics symposiums that you can attend with wet labs. You really have to go above and beyond for this concentration anyway, as competition is strong.

You could make sure that all of them see exotics in the clinical year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should consider costs. I know that isn't the answer you want but there isn't a single vet school that will better prepare you towards an exotics focus. You'll have to do the networking for that focus on your own. So, cost should be your top consideration.

I know its very important and unfortunately I'm OOS everywhere. My parents do not want me to put cost as the #1 factor in deciding and for that I am incredibly grateful and appreciative. All three schools are incredibly expensive and Ohio's instate tuition after a year is the closest to a "scholarship" I would get. I just want to go to the school with the most resources and avenues for experience with this type of medicine during my four years as I know it the field is extremely competitive and for that reason I want to squeeze out as much as I can in those four years (provided no repeat time of course...) in said field of interest.

I just want to go to the school with the most resources and avenues for experience with this type of medicine during my four years as I know it the field is extremely competitive and for that reason I want to squeeze out as much as I can in those four years (provided no repeat time of course...) in said field of interest.

You should consider costs. I know that isn't the answer you want but there isn't a single vet school that will better prepare you towards an exotics focus. You'll have to do the networking for that focus on your own. So, cost should be your top consideration.

Read the bolded and underlined above.

And even if your parents are paying for school 100%, you should still consider costs, for their sake.

I know its very important and unfortunately I'm OOS everywhere. My parents do not want me to put cost as the #1 factor in deciding and for that I am incredibly grateful and appreciative. All three schools are incredibly expensive and Ohio's instate tuition after a year is the closest to a "scholarship" I would get. I just want to go to the school with the most resources and avenues for experience with this type of medicine during my four years as I know it the field is extremely competitive and for that reason I want to squeeze out as much as I can in those four years (provided no repeat time of course...) in said field of interest.
You might be OOS everywhere, but according to VIN that's still a potential $50,000-$100,000 more if you choose Tufts or Penn over OSU, which in the long run can be much much higher with interest, especially when you are diverting 3+ years after school to go into a low-paying residency.

I know you want to get exotic experience, but (from what I heard), in the grand scheme of getting a zoo residency, where you go to school for a DVM is not much of a deciding factor... Your GPA, LORs, and networking skills on the other hand? That's a different story, which is why we are saying to go to the cheaper school because vet school is what you make it. There are all sorts of conferences and externships and clubs and wetlabs that every school offers that will help you get more exotic experience.

I just feel like if you're asking for an answer without a tuition perspective, you already know the answer of where you'd like to go, which may be the most expensive. It's more power to you but I think a few years down the road you'll thank yourself if you choose the least amount of debt.

The only thing that should stop you going to any of these schools is if they have no clinical exposure. But even that is much less important in the long run

I just feel like if you're asking for an answer without a tuition perspective, you already know the answer of where you'd like to go, which may be the most expensive. It's more power to you but I think a few years down the road you'll thank yourself if you choose the least amount of debt.

And what would that answer be?

Look I am not completely dismissing cost (which is why I am leaning towards OSU of the three). Though my parents will be supporting me I do want to help them best I can, which is why I've also been considering the army health scholarship since I first spoke with them at the career fair my frosh year. I am in no way dismissing cost as a factor, I was just more so looking for responses from students/vets who are actually in these schools, actually pursuing the same interest or already in the career field (my apologies if those who have responded are but it is hard to tell from most of you with certainty).

Look I am not completely dismissing cost (which is why I am leaning towards OSU of the three). Though my parents will be supporting me I do want to help them best I can, which is why I've also been considering the army health scholarship since I first spoke with them at the career fair my frosh year. I am in no way dismissing cost as a factor, I was just more so looking for responses from students/vets who are actually in these schools, actually pursuing the same interest or already in the career field (my apologies if those who have responded are but it is hard to tell from most of you with certainty).
I was interested in the field when in school (and went to a school with an excellent program) but decided not to pursue it after discussing with multiple zoo/exotics faculty about the field.

Like I said I know a majority of my learning will come from a zoo residency should I go that route, but I still want to make sure I get every last bit out of vet school while I am there regarding my interests (Yes I know vet school is what you make of it but there are certainly schools that offer more or less resources depending on your interests).

Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

^^^ Not sure why that is necessary.

The vets I worked with were KSU, Davis, UT, Cornell, and UF grads. Granted, I've not worked with aqua vets. If you choose to pursue it, any school will make it a possibility.

I wouldn't by any stretch say that the majority are from Tufts/Penn. I have networked in the field (and still keep up with my contacts).

I'm accepted at Mississippi State, which does not have a huge exotics program. However, I was told before my interview there that they would do whatever they could to help those students interested secure opportunities. Many get externships at the Jackson Zoo. And they've graduated exotics vets. My boss went to MS State and has operated on a tiger and done a bunch of other cool zoo things during her time there. Just to reinforce you can get the coverage you need anywhere.

Side note:I've worked with many zoo/aqua vets and 3/4 of them went to Penn or Tufts. Not saying that's indicative for all zoos in the US but.....just saying.

It is probably a regional difference. If you work with people in a certain area, they tend to have attended school in that area.

Shockingly, the zoo vet at the zoo in the area here, went to the vet school here. And the vet school is neither Penn or Tufts.

It DOES NOT matter where you attend vet school if you want to do exotics/zoo medicine, it matters how much effort you are willing to put into networking and gaining experience. Even if you took every last damn zoo elective at the vet school with the most zoo electives, that STILL isn't enough to get you anywhere.

It is pointless to focus in only on what the school has to offer for zoo experience because if you want to make it in zoo/exotic medicine, you have to bust your ass and make yourself known, regardless of which vet school you attend.

It is probably a regional difference. If you work with people in a certain area, they tend to have attended school in that area.

Shockingly, the zoo vet at the zoo in the area here, went to the vet school here. And the vet school is neither Penn or Tufts.

It DOES NOT matter where you attend vet school if you want to do exotics/zoo medicine, it matters how much effort you are willing to put into networking and gaining experience. Even if you took every last damn zoo elective at the vet school with the most zoo electives, that STILL isn't enough to get you anywhere.

It is pointless to focus in only on what the school has to offer for zoo experience because if you want to make it in zoo/exotic medicine, you have to bust your ass and make yourself known, regardless of which vet school you attend.

I 100% understand you can be a zoo/exotics/wildlife vet at any school you attend. I know it requires more than just resources available but I only plan on doing vet school once and for that reason I want to go to the best school (of the ones I've listed) for me and part of that is the experience, opportunities, resources, etc. available in my fields of interest. I know its a long hard road and all and I dont plan on not busting my ass but I damn well wanna get all I can out the school I attend (I know thats mainly up to me). I'm no swine guy at all but from what I've heard on vet school tours, Iowa State is the place to go for prime swine (I get you could go to any school and still be a bad ass swine vet but this seemed like the top of the top resource, and all that, wise). I guess I am in the same boat looking for the Iowa State of zoo/exotics/wildlife of the three schools I have narrowed it down to. I came into this thread knowing that no one would make up my mind for me (and expecting the cost factor to be brought up at least once) but I still wanted to hear from students/vets who have attended the schools listed and have pursued the same interests. That was my goal in making this and I apologize for not being more clear in my original post. I appreciate EVERY response thus far with special shouts outs to Dyachei, Avera and Rockatiel for responding more in the manner I was looking for.

I 100% understand you can be a zoo/exotics/wildlife vet at any school you attend. I know it requires more than just resources available but I only plan on doing vet school once and for that reason I want to go to the best school (of the ones I've listed) for me and part of that is the experience, opportunities, resources, etc. available in my fields of interest. I know its a long hard road and all and I dont plan on not busting my ass but I damn well wanna get all I can out the school I attend (I know thats mainly up to me). I'm no swine guy at all but from what I've heard on vet school tours, Iowa State is the place to go for prime swine (I get you could go to any school and still be a bad ass swine vet but this seemed like the top of the top resource, and all that, wise). I guess I am in the same boat looking for the Iowa State of zoo/exotics/wildlife of the three schools I have narrowed it down to. I came into this thread knowing that no one would make up my mind for me (and expecting the cost factor to be brought up at least once) but I still wanted to hear from students/vets who have attended the schools listed and have pursued the same interests. That was my goal in making this and I apologize for not being more clear in my original post. I appreciate EVERY response thus far with special shouts outs to Dyachei, Avera and Rockatiel for responding more in the manner I was looking for.

As a current veterinary student I am trying to help you see how it will not matter which of those three schools you choose given your particular focus. All three have some resource to zoo/exotic medicine. You will be fine at any of the three. They all have resources to exotics and zoos. You can't go wrong. Just because we don't specifically attend the schools in question does not mean that us current vet students or veterinarians can't answer the questions addressed. We do know what goes on and a bit of what is offered at every school. Especially having been around this forum for many years. You start to learn all the differences between every veterinary school.

My point remains, it does not matter which of those three schools you pick, you are going to be fine. Pick the cheapest. If I honestly believed a school would put you at a disadvantage, I would say so.

The state of Ohio is like the state of unscrupulous exotic animal owning idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
But now they have to apply for a permit (which no one has been denied as of this past fall when we discussed it in class...) so its so much more official!
I believe it's at least a step in the right direction though.

Reactions: 1 users
Exotics laws aside, I don't think Ohio State is a bad choice (esp if it's your cheapest option). We get the first two full summers off. That's plenty of opportunity to do some awesome externships and networking. For 4th year, you can do an individualized CAE (Career Area of Emphasis) to get a ton of exotics/zoo/wildlife experience. You still have to do some core rotations at OSU but you can arrange the rest of your schedule as you'd like. There's also the Columbus Zoo just north of the school and The Wilds about an hour or so east. Several of my classmates have done summer research projects at the zoo. You can also apply for the trip to Thailand to work with elephants and some other exotics.

And with the money you're saving by going to Ohio state, you could spend elective time and summers or whatever at penn's exotic service (if that's what they're known for), and Tufts wildlife clinic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Exotics laws aside, I don't think Ohio State is a bad choice (esp if it's your cheapest option). We get the first two full summers off. That's plenty of opportunity to do some awesome externships and networking. For 4th year, you can do an individualized CAE (Career Area of Emphasis) to get a ton of exotics/zoo/wildlife experience. You still have to do some core rotations at OSU but you can arrange the rest of your schedule as you'd like. There's also the Columbus Zoo just north of the school and The Wilds about an hour or so east. Several of my classmates have done summer research projects at the zoo. You can also apply for the trip to Thailand to work with elephants and some other exotics.

Agreeing with this. Ohio is an amazing school with amazing opportunities, case loads, facilities, etc. It is also your cheapest option by far. They also offer scholarships every year.... so that is a huge plus. You can even get a $15,000 a year scholarship like my friends have. You can apply for them every year, and it seems they're easier to get than a lot of other schools. Cost of living in Columbus is also sooooo inexpensive, so I'm sure you'd be saving a lot more money than you think.

You also may change your idea of what you want to do down the road. Like many other pre-vets, they went into vet school wanting to do zoo medicine. Then after realizing they are lowest paid, and it is insanely competitive, they changed to SA. Just giving an example, since so many people change their minds while in vet schools of what they want to do.

I think it's also worth noting that how much debt you come out of vet school with is an especially important consideration if you are pursuing a specialty that, like zoo med, is known for being among the lowest paid. You asked for your question to be answered without taking tuition into account, but it would be irresponsible to not take that into account, to be quite honest. All 3 of those schools are excellent - go where you will be saddled with the least debt.

Also, I have point blank asked multiple zoo vets whether it matters where you go to vet school if you want to get into zoo med, and they all said no. You get the bulk of your specialty training after vet school - no matter where you go to vet school.

I think Tufts is the best option for exotics from what I've heard. They have a lot more resources dedicated to it.

We need a permanent banner at the top of the page that says "GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL YOU CAN" and the ability to send small shocks through the keyboards of anyone that types a question about it anyway.

As veterinarians, we don't condone shock therapy for dogs, but we wholeheartedly support it for stubborn pre-vets.

None of my classmates that wanted to do zoo/exotic residency ended up pursuing that. We had one lab medicine person. So, it's certainly something to go for if you just LOVE it and decide it's worth it as you progress through school, but picking a more expensive school and then choosing to pursue something else (as most people do - not just zoo vet wannabes, but anyone - I wanted to do clinical pathology, research, immunology...) seems like it would just kinda suck.

Reactions: 6 users
We need a permanent banner at the top of the page that says "GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL YOU CAN" and the ability to send small shocks through the keyboards of anyone that types a question about it anyway.

As veterinarians, we don't condone shock therapy for dogs, but we wholeheartedly support it for stubborn pre-vets.

None of my classmates that wanted to do zoo/exotic residency ended up pursuing that. We had one lab medicine person. So, it's certainly something to go for if you just LOVE it and decide it's worth it as you progress through school, but picking a more expensive school and then choosing to pursue something else (as most people do - not just zoo vet wannabes, but anyone - I wanted to do clinical pathology, research, immunology...) seems like it would just kinda suck.

We also need an automatic face slap machine for posters who say that "X vet school is the best for X field/specialty!"

Also, if pre-vets choose the more expensive school anyway, who cares - it's not OUR $$$.

We just don't want to know about it. Because we are good people who were starry-eyed pre-vets ourselves not so long ago, and maybe we made the wrong decision and are struggling with our loans. We want y'all to graduate and be happy, fulfilled vets that aren't so bogged down in debt that you can't make payments large enough to cover the interest on your loans. (So the loans grow despite you making the largest payment you can manage. So you just float it for years hoping that loan forgiveness happens like it should and that you can save enough to cover the tax balloon payment by then.)

DOES THAT NOT SOUND TERRIFYING? Because it happens. That's what we, the good people, don't want for you, the pre-vets asking where has the best ______. We aren't pooping on your dreams - we just don't want you to be miserable in debt later. Really.

Reactions: 7 users
We also need an automatic face slap machine for posters who say that "X vet school is the best for X field/specialty!"

Extra slaps if they, too, are pre-vet. You don't get a vote for best school in the field of you aren't in the field. I'm sorry.

(Because once you are in the field and you have your own debt, you head comes flying out of your butt and you see exactly what everyone was talking about, and you switch to telling everyone to GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL.)

I'm gonna start stomping around here in a minute. Like for reals. You see the little purple (I think it's purple, I can't see it on mobile) squiggly thing that says "VETERINARIAN" by it? That means we have done this whole process already and maybe, just maybe, we do know what we are talking about?

And go ahead and give @Minnerbelle the same squiggly thing - she is just too lazy busy working to pay off her loans so she can stop eating ramen and living in tiny apartments to change hers.

Extra slaps if they, too, are pre-vet. You don't get a vote for best school in the field of you aren't in the field. I'm sorry.

(Because once you are in the field and you have your own debt, you head comes flying out of your butt and you see exactly what everyone was talking about, and you switch to telling everyone to GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL.)

Pre vets were definitely the majority I was thinking of lol. And they usually just "hear" it from someone else. I've never seen vets say that kind of stuff, outside of being partial to their alma mater, which is totally acceptable

Thank you for that rant.

Reactions: 1 users
Good stuff, TT!! Cheap is as cheap does means extra dough for the good stuff. Which in a couple years becomes boring and new good stuff is needed.
vpumvt4zs57j97-221x300.jpg
he's going to eat your children. Unless you buy raisins. That is all I got from this post.

he's going to eat your children. Unless you buy raisins. That is all I got from this post.
Close! A person can love raisins, but they get boring just outta the box, so a change up is good. But you can only do that if you've got the money for extra ingredients. Deep, right?!

I asked out opportunities to pursue exotic medicine when I interviewed at Ohio. While I don't think you are really going to get a heavy exotic focus at any vet school, they have a ton of different clubs and the Columbus Zoo (a very nice and well-ranked zoo) is close by.

Also, if pre-vets choose the more expensive school anyway, who cares - it's not OUR $$$.

We just don't want to know about it. Because we are good people who were starry-eyed pre-vets ourselves not so long ago, and maybe we made the wrong decision and are struggling with our loans. We want y'all to graduate and be happy, fulfilled vets that aren't so bogged down in debt that you can't make payments large enough to cover the interest on your loans. (So the loans grow despite you making the largest payment you can manage. So you just float it for years hoping that loan forgiveness happens like it should and that you can save enough to cover the tax balloon payment by then.)

DOES THAT NOT SOUND TERRIFYING? Because it happens. That's what we, the good people, don't want for you, the pre-vets asking where has the best ______. We aren't pooping on your dreams - we just don't want you to be miserable in debt later. Really.
On this note - I'm a 3rd year vet student. The INTEREST on my school loans is already in the 5 figures. And it's only going to go up from here even if I didn't take out more loans (which I will be for 4th year). I went to the cheapest vet school that I got into but looking back, I wish I had applied to even cheaper schools. The debt is real.