Which schools are you guys applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to make a list of schools I want to apply to, but I want to get more opinion on this.

And question! - If I already clicked 5 schools while registering for OAT but I haven't registered for a specific date, am I still allowed to change the schools without paying a fee? If yes, how do I do that?

If you could list the schools you're applying to and why (location, clinical, etc), that would help so much. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should really do some of your own research by looking through many of the threads here and looking at ASCO for which schools are usually more competitive. The competitive ones are usually the 'better' ones. You can also go to optometry school websites and ask for an information packet about their school.

You should really do some of your own research by looking through many of the threads here and looking at ASCO for which schools are usually more competitive. The competitive ones are usually the 'better' ones. You can also go to optometry school websites and ask for an information packet about their school.

Thanks, but I already did a lot of research online and have some information packets as well. I wanted to get opinions from real people, rather than reading information from websites! I also wanted to see where people on SD want to go. I thought this would help other people with choosing schools as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to Midwestern being like 5 minutes away from my house, I figure that this is my top choice. I know optometry students in Midwestern AND ones that have graduated from their and they say it's a great school with the latest technology. I also took a tour and liked it. However, I haven't checked anywhere else but I plan on visiting SCCO. That would be my second choice probably. People say Midwestern is too new of a school for optometry but I know an optometrist that just graduated from their and has found jobs at 2 different retail stores already. Getting paid well and loving his job. IF i had other schools in Arizona, I would probably consider them first, but being that Midwestern is the ONLY optometry school here.. I think/hope they have established a stable curriculum by now.

Ok, I applied(last cycle) to Midwestern, Nova, and OSU. This is going to sound really nerdy, but I made an excel file and put ALL the optometry schools on it. Then I gave them scores for things that were important to me (distance from me, city vs suburb, etc) and also how difficult it was based on gpa and oat to get in. I wasn't an above average applicant, so I was really worried about not getting into OSU, which was my top choice because I'm from Ohio and it's an awesome school!
Next, I broke them into categories by how difficult they were to get in. I made a hard, medium, and easy group. I picked one school from each to apply to based on the other desirable scores I made.
It may sound like that would take forever, but it was worth it because after a few hours of work I had a solid list of where I wanted to apply.
I was accepted to Nova, OSU and declined an interview at Midwestern. Hope his helps, if you have questions about my process feel free to ask :)

Ok, I applied(last cycle) to Midwestern, Nova, and OSU. This is going to sound really nerdy, but I made an excel file and put ALL the optometry schools on it. Then I gave them scores for things that were important to me (distance from me, city vs suburb, etc) and also how difficult it was based on gpa and oat to get in. I wasn't an above average applicant, so I was really worried about not getting into OSU, which was my top choice because I'm from Ohio and it's an awesome school!
Next, I broke them into categories by how difficult they were to get in. I made a hard, medium, and easy group. I picked one school from each to apply to based on the other desirable scores I made.
It may sound like that would take forever, but it was worth it because after a few hours of work I had a solid list of where I wanted to apply.
I was accepted to Nova, OSU and declined an interview at Midwestern. Hope his helps, if you have questions about my process feel free to ask :)

How early did you apply? Applications for Midwestern are opening next month but I plan on taking my OAT the end of August. I wanted to just focus on my OAT for now. But then im thinking getting, LOR, personal statements, and evverything else together might take awhile, do you recommend me starting on those now? Or just focus on my OATs?

You should start the application right away. Make sure you get your transcripts sent as early as possible. That was what took the longest for me. Other than the personal statement, the rest of your application shouldn't take too long. Then once you've done the easy stuff, focus on your OAT. I would start brainstorming about your personal statement now, and maybe jotting down ideas into a note on your phone. Then once it's time to write it, it won't take too long. I would say you will want to submit your application as soon as you get your unofficial scores, or within a week of that at least.
Edit: I started my app in August, took my OAT the first week of September, but because of a transcript taking a really long time everything wasn't verified until Sept 25ish.

I'm from the Berkeley area so Berkeley's my top choice, I toured the campus and went to Opto-camp and fell in love with the program, plus I'd get in-state tuition and could live at home, so that's definitely my top choice.
The only other school I've been to was OSU, went to IDOC (summer program) in 2012 and LOVED the program, staff, equipment/rooms etc. just overall a great campus. But I didn't like the area AT ALL, it was my first time going to the Midwest and I'm from California so I hated the food, lack of diversity, didn't fit in with the "culture" etc. Lol. If you're out of state you can apply for residency and pay in-state tuition for the last 3 years.
Also applying to Western and SCCO because I'd like to stay in California (haven't visited the campuses yet) and they're relatively cheap compared to having to pay out of state tuition elsewhere and find housing, other expenses, etc.
And applying to Midwestern because it's relatively cheap and the cost of living in Arizona is cheap

Honestly I'm looking at overall cost as my #1 determining factor, I feel like you ultimately get the same degree wherever you go, and what you get out of your education is what you put into it!

Reactions: 1 user
You should start the application right away. Make sure you get your transcripts sent as early as possible. That was what took the longest for me. Other than the personal statement, the rest of your application shouldn't take too long. Then once you've done the easy stuff, focus on your OAT. I would start brainstorming about your personal statement now, and maybe jotting down ideas into a note on your phone. Then once it's time to write it, it won't take too long. I would say you will want to submit your application as soon as you get your unofficial scores, or within a week of that at least.
Edit: I started my app in August, took my OAT the first week of September, but because of a transcript taking a really long time everything wasn't verified until Sept 25ish.

Thanks for the advice!!

So I interviewed at 5 schools (ICO, NOVA, PUCO, IUSO, and OSU). All have good things about them. If money is an issue or you are cost sensitive... go to a school thats in your hometown (if there is one). If not... here is what i learned:

PUCO: Super nice area (portland close by), family feeling program, small class size and small school size, feel like you are wanted there, decent program it seemed, older facilities, rainy weather for a lot of the year, cost is average for optometry schools, no graduate residence complex, tougher to get into, tough to travel to the school

NOVA: One of the cheaper schools, BEST CAMPUS OUT OF ANY OPTOMETRY SCHOOL by a mile, decent equipment/facilities, program seemed decent/mediocre, awesome weather obviously, large class and school feel, friendly, Party atmosphere, awesome residence complex, somewhat easy to get into

IUSO: One of the most expensive schools if out of state resident, in the middle of nowhere (bloomington indiana), huge school feel (46000 kids), nice looking campus, solid/great program, school feels it has something to prove, small town feel, average equipment/facilities, small class, very focused/concentrated students/work hard, tough to get into, tough to travel to the school

OSU: A lot like IUSO except in columbus, not much to say about the school really, average facilities, good program, huge school, tough to get into, expensive out of state tuition,

ICO (where I am going): Huge class size, tiny school size, boring/nothing special looking campus, good residence complex, amazing program, slightly more than average tuition costs, focused/good work environment, in Chicago (can be good or bad depending on what you like), best facilities/equipment out of any school,.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Overall I believe all schools are good choices, it really comes down to preference.

I interviewed at MCPHS and IUSO. Both had completely different vibes to them.

MCPHS: One of the newest optometry schools. Currently has preliminary accreditation status. Multidisciplinary health profession school. It is in the middle of the city. Location is not the best, but Boston is about 45 minutes away. Equipment is all new, has about half digital and half manual phoropters (take it as you will, Boards will be done manually though). The faculty and staff seem great but due to the new curriculum they are still trying to make it all work. They are working on hiring more faculty and might make modifications to the curriculum if necessary. There is on-campus housing which is convenient. Tuition is high, about 38k I believe.

IUSO: Optometry school is well established and has been around for a long time. It is an optometry program within a huge campus. The entire campus is great, their eye clinic just got remodeled (much bigger and nicer). It seems like a typical college town. The equipment might look older but most of it is apparently new (the good part is they exact same equipment that is used for board examinations). The faculty and staff know what material to teach and who to go about it because some of them are board graders themselves. Off-campus housing is the best option but there is plenty of housing in the vicinity. There was no interview process, you get accepted in what they call an "orientation day" and meet students, staff, and faculty. It's Q & A based, tour the facilities (classroom and clinic), have lunch with everyone, etc. Overall, very welcoming. Downside is that tuition is also on the higher-end for out-of-state at about 38k.

I know this thread is from a year ago, but I find myself in a similar situation. I am trying to decide between OSU and NOVA. I personally feel like my brain wants OSU, but my heart wants NOVA. The reason being is this:

OSU:
-in state tuition (from Cincinnati)
-traveling home would be close and easy
-one of the top schools in the nation
-very competitive with a great clinical and research program
-exceptionally high NBEO pass rates
-VR Magic
-first summer no classes

NOVA:
-absolutely loved the campus
-I want to get out of Ohio and begin a new chapter of my life (in need of warm weather haha)
-5 clinic rotations during externships
-Bascom Palmer - #1 Eye Hospital in the world
-I might stand out a little more here since the admission requirements are a little lower than OSU
-Laser in the curriculum
-first summer has classes

Overall I am not planning on living in Ohio so I don't want to make all my connections in Ohio just to move after school. But I know that OSU would be the best bang for my buck. So do I stay or leave and get my education and make my connections in Florida?

Any advice would be super helpful! Thanks!