Which schools need letters of rec. from DO's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZainZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know which DO schools require a letter of recommendation from a DO?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

ZainZ said:
Hi,

Does anyone know which DO schools require a letter of recommendation from a DO?

Thanks a lot!

Well heres a list of the schools that need a recommendation from a DO:

1.Nova Southeastern University - Florida
2. A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU / KCOM)
3. Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (AZCOM)
4. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (CCOM)
5. Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)
6. Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM)
7. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) - Florida & Pennsylvania
8. New York College of Osteopathic Medicine Of The New York Institute of Technology (NYCOM)
9. Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSUCOM)
10. Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-COM)
11. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) NOTE: letter is advised but not required.
12. Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (PCSOM) NOTE: preferred but not required letter.
13. Touro University - California Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUCOM) : preferred
14. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
15. Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Western U/COMP)
16. Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM)
17. University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)
18. University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

SO in Other words: All DO schools require a letter of evaluation or recommendation from an Osteopathic Physician except:

a. Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)
b. University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine (UMDNJ-SOM)

Note: the last i look they did not post any requirements regarding letters of evaluation/recommendation but do check again, i may have overlooked it but im pretty sure there wasnt anything posted about it.

KCOM and WesternU/COMP do not require a DO letter it can be from an MD. KCOM also says it will also take a letter from an employer. But you should check out the pre-osteo threads. This question has been addressed!

Members don't see this ad :)
docfiliboy said:
12. Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (PCSOM) NOTE: preferred but not required letter.

Yea, its required. The secondary app indicated LOR from osteopathic doc...

gah! all the doctors I work under are MDs.

It wouldn't be too crazy to go up to a random DO and ask for a LOR would it?

ILLGetit1Day said:

Yes, it would.

It's not difficult to shadow someone a couple of times.

Go look on the schools' websites. Last time I checked, the following said DO letter "recommended BUT NOT REQUIRED":
DMU
AT Still
PCOM
NYIT
Ohio University COM
MSUCOM
UNECOM

NYCOM also doesn't require one.

ILLGetit1Day said:

Ask one of the MD's if he knows a DO who could write one for ya as a favor. Tell him/her you'll be willing to pay cash money for it.

Your best bet, though, is if you can shadow one a couple of times. I mean it's May for heaven's sake. It's early for the next application cycle; you have plenty of time.