Which schools use the MMI for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star3124

:)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in canada, and recently most of our med-schools have switch to the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI), rather than the traditional interview. From what I can see it's a fairly new phenomena and not alot of U.S schools are using this yet (??).

It's basically they give you 10-12 scenarios, 2 mins to read/emotionally prepare, you go into the room talk for 8 mins about w/e the topic/question was (with no immidiate feedback), they give you score out of 6 and you do it again for the remaining stations but with diff scenarios and interviewers.

I've been told the scenarios/questions pertain to ethics, current events, and or "what would you do if____" things.

My province school (or "state school" for you guys I guess) just switch their weighting from 60% gpa : 40 % interview to 35:65 gpa to MMI ratio. So who here has been to an interview like this and has some advice/ ideas more specific about what scenarios they might give? Oh, and what kind of interview system does U.S have? (haha just curious)

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of such a thing. Most US schools will use traditional conversational interviews with little or no stress attached. Some schools will run "stress" interviews, but I personally have yet to come across one that does.

I love Canada but honestly their method of screening med school applicants is dysfunctional. I guess you just have to accept it because it is your province school. What school is it, btw?

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ. of Cincinatti is trying this out

I love Canada but honestly their method of screening med school applicants is dysfunctional. I guess you just have to accept it because it is your province school. What school is it, btw?

It's the University of Saskatchewan...I'm applying for a few others too but they also use this method. I think the only canadian school that doesn't use it is the University of Toronto.

Haha...actually they tell us it'll make it less stressful on us because even if we screw up on one interview, we can still make up for it att he other one since there's a new interviewer and they won't be bias. I agree with you tho, the whole switching rooms thing doing it 10-12 times might actually make it worse.

Probably one of the greatest understatements of 2008.

Many of the candidates rejected in Canada have numbers Harvard would salivate over!