Which specialities make it possible to immigrate to Canada/North America after UK medical residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tharsis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UK doctor here, how hard is it to move to the US/Canada after UK medical training? and which specialties are easiest to transition?

To be honest, I'm more focused on migrating to Canada after I complete UK training, but have yet to choose a specialty. I have met UK GP's (FM) practicing in Canada, and I hear psych is possible too after completing UK training.

On the other hand, while I'm not optimistic that this would be realistic for the US, I do see a few programs like this that take IMG's in the US: https://rad.washington.edu/education/fellowships/abr-4-year-pathway-university-washington/

TLDR:
Going to train in the UK as a doctor,
which specialties potentially will allow me to immigrate to USA/Canada?
Is this possible for anesthetics/ radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Most UK specialty training will fall under the royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada's approved jurisdictions. (Go to their website to find the approved jurisdictions).

Some approved specialties include: Diagnostic RadiologyPsychiatry, Pediatrics and its subspecialties, OB/GYN, Opthalmology, Emergency Medicine , and Anesthesia

If you meet the above training, you need them to assess your training, after which you can take the royal college exam in Canada which will allow you to get a medical license in Canada. (This process will cost you $10,000 Canadian on average).

Most UK specialty training will fall under the royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada's approved jurisdictions. (Go to their website to find the approved jurisdictions).

Some approved specialties include: Diagnostic RadiologyPsychiatry, Pediatrics and its subspecialties, OB/GYN, Opthalmology, Emergency Medicine , and Anesthesia

If you meet the above training, you need them to assess your training, after which you can take the royal college exam in Canada which will allow you to get a medical license in Canada. (This process will cost you $10,000 Canadian on average).
After completing these exams, would you then be able to move to Canada? Do you know where to find out about the Visa process etc?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
UK doctor here, how hard is it to move to the US/Canada after UK medical training? and which specialties are easiest to transition?

To be honest, I'm more focused on migrating to Canada after I complete UK training, but have yet to choose a specialty. I have met UK GP's (FM) practicing in Canada, and I hear psych is possible too after completing UK training.

On the other hand, while I'm not optimistic that this would be realistic for the US, I do see a few programs like this that take IMG's in the US: https://rad.washington.edu/education/fellowships/abr-4-year-pathway-university-washington/

TLDR:
Going to train in the UK as a doctor,
which specialties potentially will allow me to immigrate to USA/Canada?
Is this possible for anesthetics/ radiology

I found this youtube video highlighting CARMS and coming to Canada. May be of some use to IMGs