Which specialties have the hardest time finding a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SusGob711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^ Are there any specialties that are overstaffed or any with jobs that are just few and far between?

Members don't see this ad.

All jobs will be automated or outsourced. Happy now?

^^ Are there any specialties that are overstaffed or any with jobs that are just few and far between?

In general it's not too difficult to find a job in any specialty. The worry is more about declining insurance compensation

Members don't see this ad :)
There's always demand really. Maybe Primary Care Physicians have the easiest time finding a job (IM), simply because of the small supply relative to the demand for it.

Isnt the unemployment rate near 0%?

I have been in the profession for almost two decades. I do not know a single physician who is unemployed. I know docs who could not find jobs in the geographic region that they wanted, but they could always find jobs if they were willing to relocate.

me too...and it seems like such an important field. I wonder why the path market is weak...anybody know?

Too many slots. Also, not many pathologists are usually needed per hospital and a lot of stuff gets sent off anyway.

If you're willing to work in an undesirable area or go to a GOOD residency then you won't have a problem. Some specialities have such strong control over requirements for their programs that you are pretty safe regardless of where you end up. Pathology residencies are pretty variable in quality, unlike a speciality such as emergency medicine.

I think.

and every speciality is important...It is just that one pathologist goes a long way for most hospitals.

To put it in perspective, I did a summer practicum in a small town where there were 5 internists, 5 FPs, 2 radiologists, 3 general surgeons, 1 orthopaedic surgeon, 3 pediatricians and other random stuff that worked full time. They generated enough path stuff for one guy to come in twice a week from 9-5. Not everywhere is like that, but it is just an example. The town where I grew up wasn't much different and we had triple the docs.

Last edited:
There are very few jobs available in pure nuclear medicine. Most of the market is for radiologists that can also read nuc medicine. Going into nuc without first doing a radiology residency may leave you with either a bad job, or nothing at all.

I dunno if I agree with the person who said sleep medicine, my dads office has never been busier. I guess he is a Critical Care doc and Pulmonologist as well, but he says most of his revenue comes from sleep patients.

But my dad was saying that he knows a couple of anesthesiologists who cannot find work because the nurse anesthetists are taking their market. I know that my hometown has no anesthesiologists left.

I have no knowledge of this first hand, my dad is my source :D