Which type of Masters (Psych) program best for PhD prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwashmycar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all... long time reader, first time post-er :)

I'm sure some of you have had this same question... I am planning on earning my Masters before I apply to PhD/PsyD programs later on (my ultimate goal is the PhD/PsyD). I'm doing this because my undergraduate profile isn't as stellar as I'd like it to be. I need to gain more research (and clinical?) experience and also amp up my GPA because I was an engineering major first :eek:. I also feel like it will help me to nail down what my research interests are for the PhD (leaning towards clinical health).

I have been doing plenty of research in order to determine which masters programs to apply for. I have read plenty of recommendations that suggest to get an M.A. in General or Experimental Psych as apposed to an M.S. in a Clinical or Applied area, if your ultimate goal is acceptance into a PhD program. However, is this the best course of action? Do PhD programs favor general/experimental masters over more specific degrees (clinical, counseling, etc.). I've noticed that General/Experimental programs often require less course work (30-40 credits) compared to Clinical/Applied programs (40-60), and also involve less clinical/practicum/internship experience. Is the general/experimental route the right choice for somebody who is looking to gain the research/clinical experience they need to be accepted into a PhD program? Or would it be looked upon more favorably to get the Masters in an applied area as long as it involves research and a thesis?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Its not the degree title, so much as it is what you've done during the course of the masters. What did you learn, what expereicnes did you get, what did you produce, etc. A clinical masters that offers opps for research and requires an empirical thesis is probably the best option if you feel you have to pursue a masters first.

thanks!

has anybody had to answer to questions regarding why they chose the terminal masters program that they did, during the PhD application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I brought it up myself msot oif the time. It was never asked in a manner that suggested people had a negative impressions or a negative view of that choice. There used to be talk (myths) that getting a masters first hurt your chances, but im not sure if that's really true? I doubt it, frankly.

Last edited:
I brought it up myself msot oif the time. It was never asked in a manner that suggested people had a negative impressions or a negative view of that choice. There used to be talk (myths) that getting a masters first hurt your chances, but im not sure if that's really true? I doubt it, frankly.

what is your masters in?

So it's not a bad idea then to do masters before Ph.D/Psy.D ?

Well, why would you unless you couldn't get into a doctoral program right out of undergrad?

Masters programs are good for people who 1.) are unsure if they want to explore psych at the doctoral level yet, or perhaps just want to do some counseling (in which case a masters is all you need) OR 2.) have crappy undergrad GPAs, and need a way to make up for it.

Well, why would you unless you couldn't get into a doctoral program right out of undergrad?

Masters programs are good for people who 1.) are unsure if they want to explore psych at the doctoral level yet, or perhaps just want to do some counseling (in which case a masters is all you need) OR 2.) have crappy undergrad GPAs, and need a way to make up for it.

My concern is that I won't have enough research/experience outside of the classroom .

1.) How much research experience you get is largely up to you. Professors are generally pretty welcoming of having undergrads help out in their labs, or with projects. Dont be afraid to approach them. To be honest, I was given more responsibilty than I was ready for at my lab in undergrad, because he didnt get a grad student one of the years. However, it was a great learning experience.

2. If you are lacking research experience by the end of your undegrad years, geting a job as a full time research assistant (RA) would serve you far better than masters program (assuming your GPA is adaquate) if your goal is Ph.d.. This way, you will make money, rather than spending it on tuition at a masters program, and get ample research experience at the same time.

Last edited: