which vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnex3

PennWe c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my current interest is to either go into emergency medicine or specialize in some sort of surgery.

i was wondering if anyone had some insight as to which vet schools had the strongest programs in these areas?

one that comes to mind is penn, since they are in the city and have so many interesting and unique cases that come in but i can't really think of any others.

just looking for some thoughts! :)

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, my opinion the awnser to "Which vet school" = the one you get into.

Your better off fulfilling as many pre-reqs. for as many schools as possible. If you are get accepted to more then one school, then look at programs and area's of study and base your decision on what you want to do, as well as financial considerations.

Now, def. do some research before you just send out a ton of applications. look at what schools accept the most OOS students vs. those who do not. A for instance, its pretty much pointless to apply to Davis if you are OOS - Unless you have a 4.0, 1500 GRE, and a ton of research and animal experience and really really want to go there.

Other schools are a lot more likely to look at your app as an OOS'er.

Im sure there is a list on the forums somewhere

You're going to have surgery and emergency medicine at any school. Most schools are doing pretty advanced procedures and getting interesting cases. Just apply broadly and smartly and then look at programs and finances.

Members don't see this ad :)
my current interest is to either go into emergency medicine or specialize in some sort of surgery.

Just about anywhere you go you are most likely going to get great experience/preparation for SA Surgery and SA Critical Care. Don't forget too the options for externships during summers and fourth year if you want to get more of a specific experience. There are certainly some programs that certain schools have as strengths (i.e. equine, exotics, wildlife, etc.), but I wouldn't be too concerned over finding a good ECC program! No matter where you are in the country, there are going to be plenty of SA emergencies! Otherwise, I agree with No Imagination - go to the school that a) you get into, b) is inexpensive, and c) where you will enjoy being for 4 years!

oh yeah of course i'll be happy with whatever school i go into.
i just didn't know if some schools were better known that others for certain programs (i.e. for equine surgery) because i still haven't decided whether equine or SA surgery.

my current in state schools va-tech, so i know the program there is amazing :)
but i would really like to go to penn for vet school too, but it would be super expensive!

but any school i get into would be a miracle...

my current in state schools va-tech, so i know the program there is amazing :)
but i would really like to go to penn for vet school too, but it would be super expensive!

You just summed me up right there...I'm deciding between IS at Virginia and OOS at Penn! :)

Last edited:
You just summed me up right there...I'm deciding between IS at Virginia and OOS at Penn! :p
i wish i were in your situation! :p
so you're IS at virginia?

i love tech, but there's just something about the city...
blacksburg is so isolated from everything else...haha.

i wish i were in your situation! :p
so you're IS at virginia?

i love tech, but there's just something about the city...
blacksburg is so isolated from everything else...haha.

Ya...location wise they are only a tiny bit different. :laugh: