Which Volk lens to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCBlues

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to get Volk lenses for lab and I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Which of the following lens do you guys recommend and why? And do you recommend getting more than one lens?

a. 78d
b. 90d
c. Super field lens
d. Digital Widefield lens

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

NYCBlues said:
Which of the following lens do you guys recommend and why? And do you recommend getting more than one lens?

a. 78d
b. 90d
c. Super field lens
d. Digital Widefield lens
I would get the 78 plus a 90/superfield/widefield lens. The 78 is good for dilated views, and the others are good for undilated (I'm not familiar with the Digital Widefield, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to the superfield). Some people end up using their 90 exclusively, but I still use my 78 for dilated views.

Just keep in mind that even if you decide you don't need both lenses later on, the prices we get as students are much better than we'll get in the "real world", and you can always sell what you don't want.

Good luck! :luck:

i wouldn't get the 78. consider the digital 1.0x (or 1.3x) or super 66. right now i'm shopping between the 1.0x and 1.3x based on which one i like more. i'm planning to sell my 20d too since my hand isn't THAT big. and get the 90 since you'll need it for times when you don't dilate the px.

Members don't see this ad :)
KaBlamO said:
i wouldn't get the 78. consider the digital 1.0x (or 1.3x) or super 66. right now i'm shopping between the 1.0x and 1.3x based on which one i like more. i'm planning to sell my 20d too since my hand isn't THAT big. and get the 90 since you'll need it for times when you don't dilate the px.

If you sell your 20D lens, what would you use for indirect ophthalmoscopy?

Can you use the digital widefield for dilated views? Anyone know?

Ben Chudner said:
A 28D lens is a nice, smaller lens that works well for patients that won't dilate as big.

I worked with a retinal OMD that used a 28D on every patient for dilation. He loved it and said that was all he used in residency.

POJO said:

If you sell your 20D lens, what would you use for indirect ophthalmoscopy?

Panretinal 2.2 :D

Can we re-open this discussion up? As first years we have to buy our BIO's and Condensing lenses by April 30th and are getting so much information thrown at us. What do some of you have and what are your experiences with it?

Can we re-open this discussion up? As first years we have to buy our BIO's and Condensing lenses by April 30th and are getting so much information thrown at us. What do some of you have and what are your experiences with it?
My usual suggestions:
  1. 20D for BIO unless you have big hands, then 2.2 PanRentinal
  2. 78D unless you have a bigger budget, then NC Superfield
  3. learn with the 78 & if you can afford it, add a 90 or SuperPupil as a 4th year
  4. Unless you get a great deal on a package, skip the Gonio lenses altogether. You can easily borrow in school and when you get a job, they'll already have one.

Here's what I use (and have since residency):

1. Digital Wide Field for undilated or dilated initial viewing (50% larger field of view than a 90, also good for small pupils)
2. Super 66 for high mag dilated views (though I've also used a 78D, and they seem pretty similar)
3. Panretinal 2.2 for dilated BIO viewing (better field of view than a 20D)
4. Mini 30D for undilated BIO viewing (can also use for ultra high mag slit lamp biomicroscopy)
5. G4 handle-less for gonioscopy

We are required to have a 20D, 3-lens gonio with flange, 4-lens gonio with flange, and either a 78D or 90D

I've heard people says different things about 78D and 90D....in terms of learning...which one would be better to buy first. The superfield is an option to with the 90D

We are required to have a 20D, 3-lens gonio with flange, 4-lens gonio with flange, and either a 78D or 90D

I've heard people says different things about 78D and 90D....in terms of learning...which one would be better to buy first. The superfield is an option to with the 90D

You should buy both a wide field and a high mag lens. Visionary's list hits the nail on the head, as that's what I use and have gotten comfortable with. But if you had to choose one lens to do all, I would choose a 90D.

What are the differences between the 28D BIO lens and the Panretinal 2.2 Volk Lens? I currently have a 20D lens, and I have a hard time with it due to my short arms and small hands. Any advice??

What are the differences between the 28D BIO lens and the Panretinal 2.2 Volk Lens? I currently have a 20D lens, and I have a hard time with it due to my short arms and small hands. Any advice??

The 28D is a somewhat smaller lens with a shorter working distance, so it may be helpful to you. What you lose is magnification (3.13 for the 20D vs 2.27 for the 28D), but you actually gain field of view (46 deg vs 53 deg). The 2.2 is a nice compromise, but it's as large as the 20D.

Is there difference bitween Digital Wide Field and superfield Nc?

I would go with a 90D or 90 equivalent (superfield, digital widefield are volk's 2nd and 3rd gen 90s with some small differences). You can learn about each on their website. I ended up buying a digital widefield for the wider field so you can scan a wider area with the slit lamp without readjusting the lens position. They say it provides better results with photography and imaging solutions but I don't have any practical experience with comparing the dwf vs classic 90D. The DWF also has a shorter working distance which does get annoying when the patient has long lashes; I end up cleaning off the smudges rather often. A side note, NBEO boards part 3 (the clinical skills exam) provides all equipment including video BIO and lenses so you don't need to/can't bring your own lenses in. They have chosen to use the digital wide field for the slit lamp portions so it might help be familiar with it. I'm sure whichever lens you choose, you will be able to do what you need to do.

I would also get a separate higher mag lens like the 60d, super66, digital 1.0 (1st, 2nd, 3rd gen). A 78 would be someplace in between a 60 and a 90 in terms of field and mag. Like some others, I don't see a point in getting a 78 if I already have a wider field 90D(equivalent) lens.

Gonio lens, I just bought both the G3+flange, and G4 no flange lenses recommended by ICO. You might be able to get away with borrowing one but I just bought them anyway because of the hassle. Each lens has its benefits.

I use the 20D and it's fine but it's up to you if you want more field. kind of hard to make sense of it if you've never done the procedure but that's the information :/

My arsenal:
Digital Wide Field for fundus biomicroscopy
20D for BIO
G3 for gonio
G4 for gonio

I've been thinking of selling the 3 mirror g3 sinc ethe 4 mirror g4 will work fine but I'm not sure if I'll ever really find myself in many situation where I'll need to use the retina viewing mirrors.
I'm also looking or something like the 60D/super66/digital 1.0x for increased magnification.

one final note on super/digital lenses, these are progressively more expensive so don't beat yourself up over these, you can get perfectly fine views with any lens in the classic series. Or go buy used online!

Here's what I use (and have since residency):

1. Digital Wide Field for undilated or dilated initial viewing (50% larger field of view than a 90, also good for small pupils)
2. Super 66 for high mag dilated views (though I've also used a 78D, and they seem pretty similar)
3. Panretinal 2.2 for dilated BIO viewing (better field of view than a 20D)
4. Mini 30D for undilated BIO viewing (can also use for ultra high mag slit lamp biomicroscopy)
5. G4 handle-less for gonioscopy

What differences have you noticed between the Super 66 and the 78D? Volk's published figures regarding the two look very similar.

In what scenarios is a gonio. lens with a handle preferred? I've not heard much about them, and haven't ever even actually seen one in a practice.

Thanks.

What differences have you noticed between the Super 66 and the 78D? Volk's published figures regarding the two look very similar.

In what scenarios is a gonio. lens with a handle preferred? I've not heard much about them, and haven't ever even actually seen one in a practice.

Thanks.

I, honestly, feel the 78D and Super 66 are a wash. I've compared them head-to-head, and I can't tell a significant difference. Supposedly, the optics of the Super 66 are better.

I despise gonio lenses with handles. I never understood the need, but if you talk to old-school glaucoma docs, most will say that it helps with indention gonioscopy. I feel I can indent with a handleless lens just fine. It always seemed strange using one lens with a handle, while the rest don't have one.