Other OT-Related Information While in grad school: work study or OT aide job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcs2074

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any pros/cons for working part time during grad school through work study versus an OT aide position? Especially for Thomas Jefferson University? I know I'll probably be paid significantly better as an OT aide and would certainly be gaining direct experience, but don't know if work study would be worth it for the flexibility with exams and such, since my priority of course is being successful in school... Anyone out there who worked part-time in OT school have any insight? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in school but I'd think a work study position would make more sense. An OT aide position may be more demanding, and even though it'll pay more, the last thing you want to do is get overwhelmed

When do OT aides usually work? During typical business hours. When do grad classes happen? During typical business hours. The scheduling alone will make it difficult and it's definitely going to be more demanding.

Work study makes more sense since the job will be within your school. Therefore, your supervisors should be understanding and flexible with your schedule. I did work study and I just sat at the desk of the student center, collecting IDs and and answering calls. It was quiet most of the time so I was able to work on papers and study. I also did the yearbook, which wasn't too bad. And the work study money you earn is not taxed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should do what is best for your career, and being an aid seems like the better choice for that! You will make contacts and learn the ins and out of rehab.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the schedule of your program. I'm in a hybrid program where we only meet in class one day a week, so I have the flexibility to work during regular business hours on other days, but from what I gathered from the other programs I visited during my application process, a lot OT programs are nearly all day, every day, which leaves only the weekends and evenings to work - and you are going to have a ton of actual schoolwork to do. I would wait to see what your actual program schedule is like before deciding.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you ever been an aide? They very often make minimum wage. After being an overworked and underpaid aide for two years, I now bartend while in school. I would definitely choose work study between your two options. At least you will make about the same and will have time to study while working.

Thanks all for the responses and insight! To elaborate my situation a bit more, I would be working as an inpatient OT aide on weekends for significantly higher pay than I would make through work study. I have spent the past year working as a per diem aide for the same organization at a different outpatient site, so they could easily just transfer me over to their schedule. I actually just recently received my financial aid award and was surprised they gave me very little for work study. If I were to work as an aide just 5 hours a week on Saturdays I would make about 4 times higher pay than the maximum I'm allowed to make during a year of work study (which would be at min wage.) Even though I won't be able to study on the job, this seems like a pretty good option. I'm going to check it out and discuss more with them in person next week, and so long as it doesn't interfere with my studying (I'm in a 2 year, full-time, mon-fri program) I think I'm going to go for it. :)