White coat ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My family seems to think this is an extremely huge deal, even though I've said that it's not. They want to buy me something, and have asked my wife what to get me (and since they are cheap, they said "something he needs that costs less than a dinner out"). What, if anything, did you guys get for your white coat ceremony? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

what about a stethescope?

A. Costs more than dinner. We're talking cheap-ass here, folks.
B. Already got one. Good idea though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are family members usually invited for white coat ceremony?

Usually, at least at the 4-5 schools I know of.

How about a nice pen?

kedhegard said:
What, if anything, did you guys get for your white coat ceremony? Thanks.
I got this funny-lookin' white coat. :eek:

Useful but none-too-exciting stuff that I can think of:

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 (~$40)
Iserson's Getting into a Residency (~$40) or First Aid for the Match

some kind of handheld computing device (you're not likely to get this if they wanna save money by getting you a gift instead of taking you out to dinner)

Gift certificate to the bookstore so you can blow it on aforementioned books

or, alternatively, you could tell them not to get you anything. :idea:

Pen: too much. They would get a pack of Bic disposables. Seriously.
Books: Got 'em.
PDA: HA! not likely!

I like the idea of not getting me anything. I'd rather that than something useless. All the acting classes I've ever taken, and I still can't fake being excited about a bad gift.

netter's anatomy book--$70-80

-i wouldn't recommend first aid cuz there's a new edition every year.

-wireless network card
-digital camera

kedhegard said:

I like the idea of not getting me anything. I'd rather that than something useless. All the acting classes I've ever taken, and I still can't fake being excited about a bad gift.

:laugh: I hear that. It actually gets frustrated when you go out of your way to tell people not to get you anything, because you know it'll suck goat, and they do it anyway. And then you're trying to act surprised and thankful, but you're just thinking "Jesus, wtf am I going to do with this? :scared:"

"Live to Ride"? Or maybe just a big harley eagle...a little more subtle than something with words.

Or, how about a big "Let's Play Doctor" patch?

Mr. Rosewater said:
cool patches for your white coat.

I know a guy with a thundercats patch on his white coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about a nice relaxing CD that you can use to chill out after exams?

kedhegard said:

haha...i guess you're serious, but man, you're really taking it in stride! I especially like the "HA! not likely!".

Just take whatever they get you and say "how thoughtful!". Some jerk gave me a pen for my graduation from high school, a used one that had someone else's name on it. I'd rather he brought nothing then embarrass himself in front of my folks like that.

Anyway, a letter opener is useful...it helps during this time of the application process.

Have then just take you out to dinner. After all in med school you may not have time have a sit down relaxed meal.

I'm starting my third year of med school. Our white coat ceremony symbolizes your start in the hospitals.

Maybe that will help with the suggestions. Something maybe I could use on rotations.

Maxwell's book for your pocket - only about 6 bucks :D

My parents came to mine but its not really that big of a deal. Just nice to wear the coat for the 1st time.

ECU Med 07

My school does not have a white coat ceremony. I rather wait until my day of clinicals anyway to get my white coat. It's not like I'm going to wear it now if I had one.

I did have one when I graduated from MA school. I hardly wore it to work. In fact I don't even know where my white coat went too. It was a real long nice coat too. I think it would have doubled for a winter coat.

Anywho, as far as gifts, if the people are going to want to get you something, I suggest a nice CD. They can get them anywhere from $2-50 dollars. If they get a sale, they can get a CD for like $10.

Study well.

It's so funny, when you have the white coat ceremony you think it is the coolest thing in the world to have a white coat. Now, near the end of my third year, I can't wait until I don't have to wear the thing anymore. The pockets are filled so it's heavy to wear, my pockets get caught on chairs...I can't wait to pitch the white coat.

Just a random thought while we are talking about white coat ceremonies :)

How about they buy you a package of mints. That's definitely cheaper and you could use them on your rotation.

In reply to the person who said they dont' wear their white coat until 3rd year, do you not see even one patient before 3rd year? I know that when I start MS 1 in Aug, I'll see my first patient about three weeks later. I think it's really great to be able to get into a clinical setting that early.

Yeah, I was in the ER as a patient a while back at Hopkins, and I was alone with a 2nd year med student taking my history.. I had fun with him--he should have never told me he was a med student from the getgo (I gave him a history that took him over 1/2 hour to take) :smuggrin:

terpgirl said:
Yeah, I was in the ER as a patient a while back at Hopkins, and I was alone with a 2nd year med student taking my history.. I had fun with him--he should have never told me he was a med student from the getgo (I gave him a history that took him over 1/2 hour to take) :smuggrin:

and why was that?

terpgirl said:
he should have never told me he was a med student from the getgo :smuggrin:

Mmm ... well, we sort of consider it unethical to let the patient think we're doctors when we're not ... You weren't there for psych, were you? ;)

kedhegard said:
I'm starting my third year of med school. Our white coat ceremony symbolizes your start in the hospitals.

Wow, and I thought Hopkins was bad for making us wait until the end of the MSI! We see patients from the beginning of the year, too, so it can be a little awkward not having a coat ...