White coat in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
belts and shoes don't need to match. any real man who knows how to dress these days knows this

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see the point in wearing a white coat, because every other person in the hospital wears a long coat too.. from NPs to Rad techs to PTs. It's not like I would stand out in the hospital just because I had a white coat. I guess the pockets are helpful but I don't carry that much stuff. Plus I don' t like having that extra layer of clothing.

I guess our hospital picked up on the fact that everyone wears a white coat, so now every employee tag they attach to their badge that says their position (i.e. resident, student, attending, SW, RN, OT, PT etc). I feel like the tags are much better than a coat because it clearly states everyone's position.

Members don't see this ad :)
On fellowship we were actually required to wear white coats on the floor. Per my mentor, it had been a longstanding thing about appointed faculty members wearing them while in the hospital. I guess it was all of that fancy stitching w. the logo, dept, etc. :rolleyes: Now they have been relegated to cosplay costumes (w. cooler ARCHER ISIS logos for a Dr. Krieger costume).

I'm a neuropsychologist, and while the pockets were great for stashing notes and random test stimuli, I didn't particularly like getting lost in the sea of white. Everyone from nutrition (seriously...) to nursing to speech language pathology wore white coats. Of course, they weren't allowed to have the logo and the rest, but they still wore them.

I like the brain. I like research. I don't like patients yanking up their shirt to show me their oozing stoma/wound bc they think I'm there to mess w. it. Ya'll can keep the coats and I'll keep my tailored suits. My current AMC is far more laid back and most attendings forego white coats. I prefer suiting up anyway. As for the beard and sweater vest mentioned above…I'd like to think I have a baller beard, though I'm not really the sweater vest, so let's leave that to ya'll, hmkay? :D

ps. A new psychiatrist hire actually showed up to a consult the other day with a solid beard. I wanted to bro fist him bc proper upkeep takes time, though I wasn't sure if he'd psycho-analyze me. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd never really paid that much attention to what my Psychiatrist wears in sessions, until I started reading the fashion debates on here - half the time I couldn't recall if he was wearing business slacks or jeans, long sleeve business shirt, short sleeve casual, a jumper, etc, it just wasn't on my radar. Now that I've been a little more observant his standard uniform seems to be Levi 501s, long or short sleeve casual shirt (tucked in) or a polar fleece windcheater, depending on temperature, and basic casual dress shoes - not sure if the belt matches the shoes, I don't think it's exactly appropriate for my eyes to be wandering down to his pelvic area to check.