White dude, BYU grad, 3.97 GPA 29 MCAT. Blue eyes, excellent beard. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antispatula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I am actually not graduated yet, but do in a few months. My science GPA and overall are both 3.97, and will not change before I graduate (Only taking 2 classes till I graduate, both are easy).

I have worked pretty hard for my GPA, and consider myself a decently smart guy. However, I got a 29 on the MCAT (10 PS, 11BS, 8VR). I've been expecting a lower-than-desirable MCAT score for years, since I have never been good at taking timed tests.

Keep in mind that I DON'T CARE where I go to school. As long as I get into an MD school, I'm cool with that. Actually, I do have a certain interest in the U of U, but a 29 MCAT is not going to significantly hurt my chances there. A few more things to consider:

EC's:
106 hours of shadowing
about 400 hrs of volunteer work (nursing home, hopsice, crisis hotline operator)
130 hrs of research (40 hrs neuroendocrinology, 90 hrs cancer)
225 hrs volunteering in an ER with consistent patient contact
leadership positions: Bio TA at BYU, tutored elemetary school kid for 4 months, ER volunteer trainer, gave presentations at high schools and universities about suicide prevention, teacher at local church congregation, and chairman in a BYU club that put on concerts.
Extra goodies: In a band that is going to release an album within a few months. We play live, and I am the recording engineer and producer for the album. I also have high-quality LORS.

So, if I apply to 15 schools, do you think my chances are good I will get in somewhere (MD)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd up your number of schools. You should get in somewhere if you apply broadly enough. Beards have a polarizing effect on people though. They are in fashion now, but many admission committee members may be a bit more prone to like a traditionally conservative look.

No one cares about your eyes except the ladies.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha don't worry, I plan on shaving before interviews, that was more of a joke. I know adcoms still have the "hippie era" paradigm about facial hair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Utah resident?

Also, I'd suggest upping your number of schools as well. Then again, at your GPA and MCAT a lot does come down to your essays and LORs. I know people with similar stats who have gotten in nowhere, and people with your stats who have gotten into all the close-to-the-top programs they applied to (e.g. Einstein, Mayo).

Haha don't worry, I plan on shaving before interviews, that was more of a joke. I know adcoms still have the "hippie era" paradigm about facial hair.
Figured you were kidding, but I saw so many cases of hipster face on the interview trail that I just had to be sure.
article-2156770-1384E529000005DC-599_306x423.jpg

Hey OP, how did you study for the MCAT and do you think that there is any chance of improving your score? I ask because, as I'm sure you're aware, your MCAT score is weakest part of your application right now. I understand if you're not good at standardized tests and can't score higher, but you are in the desirable position of having the time to study and retake the test for a better score. If you could increase your score in verbal over the next 4-5 months by 1-2 points while maintaining your scores in the other sections I feel that your application would be significantly improved.

I am a Utah Resident, so that does give me an advantage to the U of U.

Figured you were kidding, but I saw so many cases of hipster face on the interview trail that I just had to be sure.
article-2156770-1384E529000005DC-599_306x423.jpg

LOLZ yeah I know what you mean :p

Hey OP, how did you study for the MCAT and do you think that there is any chance of improving your score? I ask because, as I'm sure you're aware, your MCAT score is weakest part of your application right now. I understand if you're not good at standardized tests and can't score higher, but you are in the desirable position of having the time to study and retake the test for a better score. If you could increase your score in verbal over the next 4-5 months by 1-2 points while maintaining your scores in the other sections I feel that your application would be significantly improved.

Well, I only took 3 timed practice tests before I took it.....Horrible I know. That was probably a big mistake. I got a 32 on AAMC 10 (VR=12!), 34 on AAMC 5, and 31 on AAMC 4 I think.... The lowest VR I got on the AAMC practice tests was a 10 I think. Unfortunately, I was sick the night before the MCAT and only got 3 hours of sleep. Even though I "felt" fine, and didn't feel fatigued, I am guessing perhaps that could account for the 8 on the VR. Also, the sickness and lack of sleep was not due to stress. I experienced no test anxiety before, during, or after the test.

If I were to retake it, I think I would spend more time taking practice tests and passages under timed conditions.

If I'm not mistaken, your school's pre-health advisors (BYU) can tell you where their applicants received invitations to interview. Start making your list there and refine it with the MSAR's median MCAT scores. The most important part of your stategy will be the list (if you decide not to re-take the MCAT).

BYU?

Do you know Andrew Hales?

That guy is hilarious.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I only took 3 timed practice tests before I took it.....Horrible I know. That was probably a big mistake. I got a 32 on AAMC 10 (VR=12!), 34 on AAMC 5, and 31 on AAMC 4 I think.... The lowest VR I got on the AAMC practice tests was a 10 I think. Unfortunately, I was sick the night before the MCAT and only got 3 hours of sleep. Even though I "felt" fine, and didn't feel fatigued, I am guessing perhaps that could account for the 8 on the VR. Also, the sickness and lack of sleep was not due to stress. I experienced no test anxiety before, during, or after the test.

If I were to retake it, I think I would spend more time taking practice tests and passages under timed conditions.

Retaking the MCAT is a very big decision because you need to better on it or else you will lessen your chances for admission. That being said, your AAMC FL average is 32 and if you managed a 32 on the retake I would say that you would be in a much better position. A 3.97 GPA and 32 MCAT are solid numbers.

If you have the time to retake, I say definitely retake. I'm applying with worse numbers than you this cycle (3.65/29) and so far I've received 2 MD IIs that turned into deferrals, and been rejected from all DO programs I applied to. You should be in a better position than me obviously, but I think the stress of retaking the MCAT beats the stress of an entire year of waiting and hoping.

The 8VR is going to hurt, so invest in MSAR and apply strategically. Some schools that come to mind offhand are Drexel, NYMC, Loma Linda, and MCW. Naturally, the U is a must. Don't forget all the new programs as well, ecept Hofstra.

Your MCAT could be better, but I think those blue eyes should make up for it

Hey guys. So I am actually not graduated yet, but do in a few months. My science GPA and overall are both 3.97, and will not change before I graduate (Only taking 2 classes till I graduate, both are easy).

I have worked pretty hard for my GPA, and consider myself a decently smart guy. However, I got a 29 on the MCAT (10 PS, 11BS, 8VR). I've been expecting a lower-than-desirable MCAT score for years, since I have never been good at taking timed tests.

Keep in mind that I DON'T CARE where I go to school. As long as I get into an MD school, I'm cool with that. Actually, I do have a certain interest in the U of U, but a 29 MCAT is not going to significantly hurt my chances there. A few more things to consider:

EC's:
106 hours of shadowing
about 400 hrs of volunteer work (nursing home, hopsice, crisis hotline operator)
130 hrs of research (40 hrs neuroendocrinology, 90 hrs cancer)
225 hrs volunteering in an ER with consistent patient contact
leadership positions: Bio TA at BYU, tutored elemetary school kid for 4 months, ER volunteer trainer, gave presentations at high schools and universities about suicide prevention, teacher at local church congregation, and chairman in a BYU club that put on concerts.
Extra goodies: In a band that is going to release an album within a few months. We play live, and I am the recording engineer and producer for the album. I also have high-quality LORS.

So, if I apply to 15 schools, do you think my chances are good I will get in somewhere (MD)?

Thanks!

Your 8 in VR places you smack dab in the middle of the pack in terms of percentiles (50th), and will be a red flag, although not an insurmountable one. Since you have no preference for location as long as it's a MD program, I strongly suggest you apply to more than 15 schools, preferably double that amount if it's financially feasible. I also suggest you formulate your list by looking at the MSAR and using your LizzyM score (GPAx10 + MCAT) as well as US NEWS medical school rankings (look into the schools who are lower ranked or whose ranks are not published).

Another key thing you can do to offset your MCAT is to apply early, as in submit your primary the day it opens early and turn in all secondaries as fast as possible early. This is key as you will appears to be a less and less attractive candidate as the cycle goes on due to the cumulation of apps that schools receive towards the middle and end of the cycle.

I hope I haven't been too harsh, but I really do wish you the best of luck!

Sounds like you have a well rounded application. To go along with everyone else, your MCAT is definitely the weakest part of your application. It's not awful, but there is a big difference between a 29 and a 30 for adcoms (https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf). If you don't retake, I'd apply broadly to 20-25 schools.
I know a few guys who applied to med school from BYU and they only applied to the top 30 programs in the nation. Needless to say the were applying the next year. It sounds like you don't have that attitude currently so that's another good thing you've got going for ya. Good luck with everything!

Not flaming -- just wondering -- are there non-white dudes at BYU? :laugh:

I think you could have just said BYU grad and we could have figured it out.

P.S. I did my last interview sporting a full beard -- I'll let you know if it helped me out at all lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Fellow BYU student here, former Bio TA as well, and one of only a few latinos on campus. I personally believe you will still kill it with that gpa, good mcat, excellent ec's, not to mention your ochem prowess. I think the beard is okay for now but come interview time i think you scrap it and go with the more professional selleck stache. Just curious, how were your rate my professor ratings?