Who are some of the big name recognized pod surgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ever possible to meet or shadow one of these guys, such that they give a better perspective on where the future of pod surgery is heading? Wouldn't they be the best place to start, to get info on how to get into ortho groups, etc.? Just a thought...

Members don't see this ad.

capo said:
Is it ever possible to meet or shadow one of these guys, such that they give a better perspective on where the future of pod surgery is heading? Wouldn't they be the best place to start, to get info on how to get into ortho groups, etc.? Just a thought...

Most of the prominent Podiatric Surgeons in the field are not in Orthopedic groups. However, they may work with Orthopedic Surgeons. As Dr. Feelgood alluded to, if you let us know where you are located, we can recommend some podiatrists for you to shadow within your vicinity.

As for joining an Orthopedic group, I know that many previous postings have mentioned that more and more Podiatrists are joining Orthopedic group. Although, this appears to be increasing, majority of the graduates still either join a Podiatry group or start their own practice. It seems like that many posting are implying that the only way that you make a lot of money is to join an Orthopedic group. This is not necessarily true. I know of several of my classmates who are making 6 figure salaries and very successful in the midwest in Podiatry groups. The major advantage of joining an Orthopedic group is that you have established a referral source for surgical patients. However, please do not think that by joining an Orthopedic group, you will not have to perform routine foot care. Remember, you are a DPM (not a MD/DO) and DPM renders comprehensive foot and ankle care. Patients will go to a DPM for routine foot care, even if the DPM is part of an Orthopedic group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_Feelgood said:
Where do you live?

Do you know of any prominent Podiatric Surgeons in MN? La Crosse WI? (which is about an hour away from me)

doclm said:
Do you know of any prominent Podiatric Surgeons in MN? La Crosse WI? (which is about an hour away from me)

Dr. David Caldarella practices in La Crosse, WI. He is a graduate of the Northlake (Tucker) Podiatric Surgical Residency Program. He is involved with teh Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center Podiatric Surgical Residency Program. I have met him at several conferences and he seems like a pretty nice guy and does some nice procedures. If you contact the physician referral service at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, you probably can get his contact info. I hope that this helps.

dpmgrad said:
Dr. David Caldarella practices in La Crosse, WI. He is a graduate of the Northlake (Tucker) Podiatric Surgical Residency Program. He is involved with teh Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center Podiatric Surgical Residency Program. I have met him at several conferences and he seems like a pretty nice guy and does some nice procedures. If you contact the physician referral service at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, you probably can get his contact info. I hope that this helps.

Thanks, I will do that.

Currently I am trying to shadow as many different PODS as possible before I start Scholl this fall.

Again, thanks for the info.