Who did the anesthesia on these guys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
More news about the hidden US war in Africa -

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
More news about the hidden US war in Africa -

Africa where? Like I skimmed the whole article and the only mention of Africa was the Arab Spring mentions. Nothing about bases in Africa or soldiers there attacked. In Iran and Syria yea. Have these two countries now moved from the M.E to Africa as of late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Africa where? Like I skimmed the whole article and the only mention of Africa was the Arab Spring mentions. Nothing about bases in Africa or soldiers there attacked. In Iran and Syria yea. Have these two countries now moved from the M.E to Africa as of late?
Oh yeah I misspoke and I’m not good at geography. :)

The secret war going on in Africa is a point of interest for me.

“For members of the public, the full extent of U.S. war- making is unknown. Investigative journalists and human rights advocates have cobbled together a rough picture of where the military has used force, but they rely on sources whose information is often incomplete, belated, or specu- lative. There is only so much one can learn about the United States’ military footprint from trawling Purple Heart cere- monies, speaking with retired military personnel, and monitoring social media for reports of civilian harm.2
Congress’s understanding of U.S. war-making is often no better than the public record. The Department of Defense provides congressionally mandated disclosures and updates to only a small number of legislative offices. Sometimes, it altogether fails to comply with reporting requirements, leaving members of Congress uninformed about when, where, and against whom the military uses force. After U.S. forces took casualties in Niger in 2017, for example, lawmakers were taken aback by the very presence of U.S. forces in the country.3 Without access to such basic information, Congress is unable to perform necessary oversight.
It is not just the public and Congress who are out of the loop. The Department of Defense’s diplomatic counter- parts in the Department of State also struggle to under- stand and gain insight into the reach of U.S. hostilities. Where congressional oversight falters, so too does over- sight within the executive branch.
This proliferation of secret war is a relatively recent phenomenon, and it is undemocratic and dangerous. The conduct of undisclosed hostilities in unreported countries contravenes our constitutional design. It invites military escalation that is unforeseeable to the public, to Congress, and even to the diplomats charged with managing U.S. foreign relations. And it risks poorly conceived, counter- productive operations with runaway costs, in terms of both dollars and civilian lives. So how did we get here?”

77279C8D-1814-481C-A7FC-FAA606EEB126.jpeg

BF88FCF1-8E51-406A-97DF-373D945E2221.jpeg

A31E881E-BCB7-4BC4-A916-E7777C61905F.jpeg

“In 2019, US Special Operations forces were deployed in 22 African countries: Algeria, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Côte D’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Somalia, Tanzania and Tunisia.

This accounts for a significant proportion of US Special Operations forces’ global activity: more than 14% of US commandos deployed overseas in 2019 were sent to Africa, the largest percentage of any region in the world except for the greater Middle East.

These figures come from information provided to the M&G by the US military’s Special Operations Command and Africa Command (AFRICOM).

An interview with Donald Bolduc, a retired brigadier general and head of Special Operations Command Africa (SOCAFRICA) until 2017, shed further light on these operations. He said that as of 2017, US Special Operations forces had seen combat in 13 African nations. America’s most elite troops continued to be active in 10 of those countries — Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Kenya, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Somalia and Tunisia — last year.”

Last edited:
That's very probable, although I'd say it's just as likely that they received anesthesia from a physician. I haven't heard of any of those guys ending up where I am as yet.

I actually saw an ad in Gaswork recruiting for “forward surgical team” type work in Africa one or 2 months ago. Unfortunately it looks like it was taken down and I cannot remember the name of the organization or else I’d post a link.

I went to their website where they sell tactical themed Tshirts. They were recruiting surgeons, anesthesiologists, CRNAs and nurses. Pay was decent…I think it was 12-13k/week for surgeons, 11-12k/week for anesthesiologists, 8-9k/week for CRNAs. They were looking for people who have military backgrounds and experience in austere environments.

Maybe you or one of the other military folks know who they are?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm probably not supposed to say this, but it was me. I'm the medical lead for the African Anaesthesia Corps.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I'm probably not supposed to say this, but it was me. I'm the medical lead for the African Anaesthesia Corps.
I sure hope they are paying you millions cause that is not something I would do for regular pay considering the number of contractors I saw killed in Iraq.

Can you describe, or give more details on that Gaswork job? I thought it looked very interesting. It looked like the perfect job for those who don't want to be trapped in a soulless, windowless room for 12 hours a day, the rest of their lives.

I actually saw an ad in Gaswork recruiting for “forward surgical team” type work in Africa one or 2 months ago. Unfortunately it looks like it was taken down and I cannot remember the name of the organization or else I’d post a link.

I went to their website where they sell tactical themed Tshirts. They were recruiting surgeons, anesthesiologists, CRNAs and nurses. Pay was decent…I think it was 12-13k/week for surgeons, 11-12k/week for anesthesiologists, 8-9k/week for CRNAs. They were looking for people who have military backgrounds and experience in austere environments.

Maybe you or one of the other military folks know who they are?
Almost all of the people in my department that get tagged for deployment go to Africa and can't tell me where they went (unless it was to Djibouti).

I can't figure out if the secretness of all of this is to keep the public blind to the war, or is it for OPSEC? @pgg , why do you think it is?