Who else applied to the GEMS program for 2005-2006?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longway2go

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else applied to the GEMS program this year?

Members don't see this ad.

longway2go said:
Anyone else applied to the GEMS program this year?
what gems program is this? they have one for louisville... but i'm not sure which one you're talking about. if it is the one for l'ville, then this is probably the wrong forum. haha.. clarifyyyy

virilep said:
what gems program is this? they have one for louisville... but i'm not sure which one you're talking about. if it is the one for l'ville, then this is probably the wrong forum. haha.. clarifyyyy

The one for Georgetown...

Members don't see this ad :)
me.again said:

I am wondering how long does it take to receive a response from them...i just sent my application this week...did you hear from them yet?

longway2go said:
I am wondering how long does it take to receive a response from them...i just sent my application this week...did you hear from them yet?

My application was complete in early March. I heard from them today

did you get an interview? I have a couple of friends who have applied to the program.

Does anyone know what the interview(s) format is for the GEMS program (i.e. is it a group, panel, individual 1:1, etc)

As for the exams, in the FAQ it says that they assess basic science knowledge, non-cognitive and study skills. I've been out of school for several years (four!), and I took the MCAT almost two years ago. Does anyone have any specific insight on the questions?

Does the interview day really last from 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.? Please advise. Thanks!! As you can probably tell I'm a little nervous about this quickly approaching, loooong day! :p

What's the difference between SMP and GEMS? Is the only thing that GEMS is restricted to minorities?

It's my understanding that SMP is a Special Masters (degree granting) Program, while GEMS (Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program) is a one-year post-bac (non-degree granting) program for disadvantaged students who will someday contribute to disadvantaged/underserved communities as a physician.

I believe that the only stipulation for admission is that applicants come from a disadvantaged background. Race or gender (i.e. 'minority' status)) does not appear to be a stipulation for admission. But checking the disadvantaged box on your AMCAS application does (they require verified AMCAS applications be submitted).

TruthDiary said:
It's my understanding that SMP is a Special Masters (degree granting) Program, while GEMS (Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies Program) is a one-year post-bac (non-degree granting) program for disadvantaged students who will someday contribute to disadvantaged/underserved communities as a physician.

I believe that the only stipulation for admission is that applicants come from a disadvantaged background. Race or gender (i.e. 'minority' status)) does not appear to be a stipulation for admission. But checking the disadvantaged box on your AMCAS application does (they require verified AMCAS applications be submitted).

What constitutes being disadvantaged? Poor neighboorhood? How do they verify wether someone is at a disadvantage or not? Does going to a top 25 undergrad school mean you're not disadvantaged?