Who else doesnt really give a crap about ws?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEG@COOL

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I doubt Ill really do much if anything with practicing for the writing sample. I just dont want to completely tank it, but otherwise...meh.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do all the tasks they explicitly ask for, you'll get a 4/6 on each essay. A score of P isn't bad for following instructions :p

I figure that if med schools really don't care, then I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
I'm not going to worry about the writing sample much either. Last time I took it, I got an O which was pretty good. Most schools don't really give two cents what you got on it, unless it was like a J or K, and even then, I don't think it makes or breaks you like the Verbal reasoning or other sections do. Although, after talking to some 3rd year med students, I kinda see why they stress verbal. After all you are going to need real comprehension skills once you get in med school with having to read possibly like 200 pages in one night or stuff like that.

One thing I will recommend to you guys is to get erasable pens, cuz that was a life saver for me, cuz I messed up a few times and had to erase things. Black erasable pens are the way to go.
Those erasable pens are terrible for God's Gift to the world ~> Lovable Lefties!!!

gujuDoc said:
Most schools don't really give two cents what you got on it, unless it was like a J or K,

Yes. A Dean at a high ranked school told me that they only look at the WS if it is "unusually low" (no idea what his cut-off was). As long as you surpass this nebulous hurdle, I wouldn't worry too much.

Just follow the prompts and make sure to cover all the tasks with roughly equal attention--maybe half a page or so for each task--and you'll be fine. My essays seriously blew, very elementary, and I got an R.

Law2Doc said:
Yes. A Dean at a high ranked school told me that they only look at the WS if it is "unusually low" (no idea what his cut-off was). As long as you surpass this nebulous hurdle, I wouldn't worry too much.

But a T looks so pretty :p

I did not practice beyond looking at writing sample prompts one day on AAMC and giving them about 2-3 minutes of contemplation. I read the kaplan format as well. Took the exam and my goal was to finish 10 minutes early in each section and meditate. I was able to do this but received an M. :( Schools I applied to did not have a WS cutoff so I was good. I still hear the words of my senior high school english teacher after she gave me a D on my term paper "I'm worried about you."

At some schools it does matter so don't completely blow it off unless you are natuarlly a good writer and stuff. :cool:

Teerawit said:
But a T looks so pretty :p

I got a T, and not one interviewer has commented on it. I honestly don't think they care as long as your number score roughly matches your WS score (ie, don't get a 38 J).

CQ

Conqueror said:
I got a T, and not one interviewer has commented on it.
Two of mine did! "Wow, a T, isn't that the highest you can get?" from a clueless cardiologist, and "T, huh?" from an admissions director. I don't think it really matters though... we tend to process #s much more easily than letters, so the difference between a P and an R (for example) is probably lost to most people, compared to, say, 11 vs 13.

The writing section will be my little experiment. I will be making up facts out of thin air to support my argument and opinions. I wonder what the graders will think when they read that the South won the Civil War :smuggrin:

Teerawit said:
The writing section will be my little experiment. I will be making up facts out of thin air to support my argument and opinions. I wonder what the graders will think when they read that the South won the Civil War :smuggrin:
I did that, I don't know if it mattered or not but I got an M.
Wait, you mean Global Crossings, the now defunct telecommunications company, didn't play the biggest role in the growth of the Indian IT sector?

desiredusername said:
I did that, I don't know if it mattered or not but I got an M.
As long as I don't get a J I will be happy ;)

Wait, you mean Global Crossings, the now defunct telecommunications company, didn't play the biggest role in the growth of the Indian IT sector?

in one ear and out the other :p