Who is down for a national Pharmacist walkout/sickout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you participate?

• Sure, why not

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • HELL NO!

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
I would expect nothing less from bean counters who have never worked a pharmacy shift before.
Right now in my area you can literally choose whichever CVS, Rite Aid, or Walgreens you want to work at and they have at least one position available per store, if not both. But why would anyone want to work for any of them? And lots of them are closed half the time because they don't have enough floaters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Right now in my area you can literally choose whichever CVS, Rite Aid, or Walgreens you want to work at and they have at least one position available per store, if not both. But why would anyone want to work for any of them? And lots of them are closed half the time because they don't have enough floaters.

If they doubled the staff at each store so that we get 2004-2007 staffing levels, it would be somewhat tolerable. But we know they'd rather let it burn.

Reactions: 3 users
If they doubled the staff at each store so that we get 2004-2007 staffing levels, it would be somewhat tolerable. But we know they'd rather let it burn.
That's what I just don't understand. I mean, I understand it like I understand evil is gonna evil, but it's just so fixable.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I just don't understand. I mean, I understand it like I understand evil is gonna evil, but it's just so fixable.
The big wigs will never admit they're wrong, all the way up to the CEO. Their egos are too big. You see it at the store and district level too.

The big wigs will never admit they're wrong, all the way up to the CEO. Their egos are too big. You see it at the store and district level too.

I did get a little bit of backlash from the store manager of a Walgreens for suggesting that the problem could be easily fixed by spending more money on staffing. I thought she would have been more sympathetic to that than district and up, but I was wrong. She sarcastically said, "Oh, I thought you were going to suggest something new." I responded, "no, it certainly isn't new. It's that simple."

Supply and demand is not a difficult concept...and don't try to feed me any BS about not being able to afford it while the CEO made 28 million dollars last year.

Last edited:
Rite Aid is paying techs $12.50/hr. Why would anyone-.especially anyone GOOD- work there? They pay their pharmacists reasonably well for absolutely hellish working conditions, often staffing the pharmacy alone so you're essentially doing the jobs of 3 or 4 people.

Slightly off topic, but didn't want to start a new thread. Here's part of the severance package for Meta:

nh6zlOO.jpg

How's it compare to when pharmacy chains/hospitals lay off employees? Side note: PTO pay out is required by law in CA (and most states, I assume, but I don't live elsewhere). This is about in line with what my health system paid years ago when there were layoffs (minus the stock options, obvs)

Reactions: 1 user
My local Five Guys is hiring at $15. And they have a tip jar. Plus one free meal per shift, which sounds stupid to me but that is one more free meal per shift than you get at CVS.

As much as I love Five Guys, you'll also get free metabolic syndrome.

• Haha
I don’t know about you guys but I just quit and walked away from retail pharmacy.

I just won’t do it - in its current state. I’m not going to be taken advantage of to that extreme.

I understand we got loans, families, etc - but the truth is that there are other things we can do.
I agree. If we get through pharmacy school, we can do a lot of different things. However, not everyone can afford to "just quit retail". When I first got my RPh license, I considered myself "unlucky " since the only job I could have were just "floater" at Wag or RA ( with ~65 hrs/pay period). Thanks to that crappy job, it pushes me to get out of my comfort zone and I am more willing to learn new skills or to take on "challenging" assignments. I am able to add more meaningful stuffs to resume rather than just "Floater RPh". That certainly helps me getting my current job: low stress, 8-5, 4 days/week, and almost $80/hr
I think any career will have some kind of "wash out" entry level job. Not everyone will survive. The ones who do, they will,of course, get the better/ the more desirable jobs. I often tell the new grads "You have to pay your due first haha"

I agree. If we get through pharmacy school, we can do a lot of different things. However, not everyone can afford to "just quit retail". When I first got my RPh license, I considered myself "unlucky " since the only job I could have were just "floater" at Wag or RA ( with ~65 hrs/pay period). Thanks to that crappy job, it pushes me to get out of my comfort zone and I am more willing to learn new skills or to take on "challenging" assignments. I am able to add more meaningful stuffs to resume rather than just "Floater RPh". That certainly helps me getting my current job: low stress, 8-5, 4 days/week, and almost $80/hr
I think any career will have some kind of "wash out" entry level job. Not everyone will survive. The ones who do, they will,of course, get the better/ the more desirable jobs. I often tell the new grads "You have to pay your due first haha"

I’m going to be honest, I feel this sentiment. Wags was my gatekeeper job. And it’s the fire that burns under my behind every day at PBM to work hard cause I can’t go back to that.

Maybe that's the key to success in pharmacy. Work the crappiest job you can right out of school (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid). So you know how low "low" actually is. Then get a sustainable job. Be eternally motivated by the simple fact that you know where you'll wind up if you fail.

Maybe that's the key to success in pharmacy. Work the crappiest job you can right out of school (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid). So you know how low "low" actually is. Then get a sustainable job. Be eternally motivated by the simple fact that you know where you'll wind up if you fail.

Come to think of it your right…. I did this exact thing..

So did I. But I took it one step further- I worked for several independents first right out of school, so I KNEW that things COULD be better than corporate retail. Then- thinking it was an "advancement"- I worked for a cesspool corporate pharmacy chain so I had something to compare those other jobs with. Wised up and moved on. Now I have the motivation in the truth that no matter how bad things are here, they'd be MUCH WORSE ON A DAILY BASIS if I were back in corporate retail.....