Who is going to Stony Brook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Bear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people applying to Stony Brook.. I know a lot of people are still waiting... and I know others were unsure of if they were attending.. so now that the deposit is no longer refundable from there... who is definitely going?

(just curious as I haven't heard a word since my interview)

Members don't see this ad.

right here chris. ive got my fingers crossed for you and others waiting! i have heard from a friend that they leak out acceptances. He had interviewed fairly early and was accepted in june so it certainly seems reasonable. Keep me posted/drop me an im!

Hey guys -- are there still spots left at Stony Brook?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else.

To the previous poster.. It seems there are still plenty of spots left as they have not sent out many acceptances (that I know of) or rejections yet.

Good luck to everyone!

DMD_hopeful said:
I'll be there. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else.

To the previous poster.. It seems there are still plenty of spots left as they have not sent out many acceptances (that I know of) or rejections yet.

Good luck to everyone!

I still have not heard anything :( but I have seen a couple of people on here that have chosen another school even though they already got accepted.

I interviewed there last week. They said there are about 2/3 full.

I haven't heard from them... I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's by far my first choice!

2/3 full.. wow they're killing me here HAHA

Dr.Bear said:
2/3 full.. wow they're killing me here HAHA

Hey, maybe there's still hope for us lol :rolleyes:

Dr.Bear said:
I have seen a lot of people applying to Stony Brook.. I know a lot of people are still waiting... and I know others were unsure of if they were attending.. so now that the deposit is no longer refundable from there... who is definitely going?

(just curious as I haven't heard a word since my interview)

I'll be there, unless something odd happens (ie. Columbia suddenly decides that they have an ass load of money they want to give me for no particular reason). So yeah, I'll be there :)

Although, since the deposit is "only" $350, if Stony isn't someones first choice I doubt that losing the deposit would prevent someone from going to their first choice school if they got in.

tbrillia said:
I'll be there, unless something odd happens (ie. Columbia suddenly decides that they have an ass load of money they want to give me for no particular reason). So yeah, I'll be there :)

Although, since the deposit is "only" $350, if Stony isn't someones first choice I doubt that losing the deposit would prevent someone from going to their first choice school if they got in.

Hey are you in state or out of state?

tbrillia said:

Tbrillia,

Hey,welcome to Stony!! I'll be there as well. I wouldn't count on Columbia coming up with money upfront.. I had thought of that and asked them already. They said they want the commitment to them first then they'd consider any scholarships. whatever..... SB is a better choice.

Have you thought about housing--On/Off campus? I know it is early but it looks like it's pretty pricey out there.

PM or IM me if you ever want to talk... Look forward to meeting you.

Stony Brook is still leaving me hanging.. someone told me that they are done interviewing and should be deciding VERY SOON!!!

I've been remiss in my postings. I'm heading out there in Augustish?

deebog01 said:
What is the class size at Stony Brook?

-Deebog

38 from what I can remember.

Dentist 2 be said:
38 from what I can remember.

I have a bunch of family up in that area... but I havn't been in prob 8 yrs. Stony Brook looks amazing, but with a class size that small, what do the average acceptance stats look like? Out-of-staters need apply?

Thanks,
Deebog

Anyone hear anything yet. Its been 5 months since my interview and still "no decision"

deebog01 said:
I have a bunch of family up in that area... but I havn't been in prob 8 yrs. Stony Brook looks amazing, but with a class size that small, what do the average acceptance stats look like? Out-of-staters need apply?

Thanks,
Deebog
up until this year you were lucky if they accepted one out of stater. But rumor has it that this year there have been several acceptances from out of state this year.

deebog01 said:

Thanks,
Deebog

Judging by a couple of sources it looks like SB has an avg GPA of 3.5 - 3.6, a science GPA of ~3.5 and a DAT AA of 19.2 - 19.7.

Like someone else already mentioned, SB is taking in more out-of-state students. I heard a rumor (take it for what it's worth) that this year they are taking approximately 10 out-of-state students.

Good luck with your appplications