Who knew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielblank313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a fun little moment I had.

Cue scene: me, an M1, studying for an upcoming exam and I'm feeling good. I'm doing well on practice questions, I feel like I have the material down and I thought this somehow made me qualified to answer questions other peeps in my class had about the material.

I give a nice packaged explanation to one my classmates, and I wanted to double check after by checking some outside resources. Hmm. Who knew. Our class material only explains a small part of what is an extensively complex topic. So embarrassing to walk back from whatever confidence I had to say I was wrong.

No harm done but I thought it was fun to get a nice little reminder that I pretty much know nothing and if I feel I know something I just didn't take the time to explore it enough. Stay humble everyone! Don't be me lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
it took me one year of med school to educate myself that hemoglobin is heme + globin. Dw. You are not alone.

Should always be checking outside resources. A lot of faculty emphasize a bunch of low yield junk while totally ignoring some high yield stuff and totally screws you for boards.

“Doing well in class means you’ll do well on boards”, then proceeds to not teach us board relevant material

Worst part is when they teach us information that contradicts other resources like First Aid. So i have to memorize this wrong garbage and purge it after the exam and replace it with what First Aid says.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In-house powerpoints are usually trash, with exception of a few slides.
Use Dr. Ryan (BnB), Dr. Sattar (Pathoma), and Sketchy medical, to teach you important clinical and board relevant material.

Funny how we spend all this money on tuition and what I remember most from med school... are cartoons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I actually have one professor that is awesome. He literally says “this is very high yield for boards” and that’s all he tests on (and I believe him because it matches with BnB and Anking). The other professor I have right now literally pulls questions from the caption of a figure on a random slide... it’s kind of a crap shoot

to your OP, I’m starting to realize that you don’t need to know everything. You need to know the stuff that is clinically relevant. Leave the other stuff to the PhDs

Reactions: 1 users
I actually have one professor that is awesome. He literally says “this is very high yield for boards” and that’s all he tests on (and I believe him because it matches with BnB and Anking). The other professor I have right now literally pulls questions from the caption of a figure on a random slide... it’s kind of a crap shoot

to your OP, I’m starting to realize that you don’t need to know everything. You need to know the stuff that is clinically relevant. Leave the other stuff to the PhDs

Dr. Choudhury FTW! He's so awesome. Even though his slides have way too much info, you know exactly what you need to know because he puts it in a red box and says "this is high yield." I love that he is always telling us "you don't need to know this for medicine." I feel like a lot of professors want us to know some things that are entirely irrelevant and that we'll never see on boards or in practice. Not my boy Dr. Choudhury. <3