Who Knows??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatal_Oblivion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people!...I read about the UCD Horizons thing in the UCD website in detail, but i just would like to know more about it, just to see if it's worth choosing it over UCC!!!...My main concern is, how would the students be assessed??..Cuz i was told that students starting from September 2005 would be embarking on modular, credit-based programmes, but does that mean students would also be assessed by Grade-Point-Average (GPA) as it works in American schools???

Thanks y'all! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Ok guys i expected a reply from atleast one of u out there, but thanks anyway..

I just looked at the UCD horizons website and its seems like it's the same as Trinity's Broad Curriculum -ie- gives students a chance in a particular faculty to study subjects outside their own area of study.

All the degrees at Trinity and UCD are based on credit systems (ECTS - European Credit Transfer System) it's just you don't get any choice in the credits you study. Horizons seems to give you some control over some of the credits that you study each year.

For medicine the whole system isn't really amenable because it is a professional course that has a fixed number of subjects required to be studied in ordered to be competent.

I really doubt UCD would move to a GPA system... A few years ago there was talk that the NUI (ie- UCC, UCD, UCG, Maynooth) may change their grading system because of the low number of First Class Honours degrees being awarded by the NUI. Again, this isn't really applicable to medicine as a pass is 50% as opposed to 40% in most other faculties. Moving to a GPA system in medicine would just confuse the whole situation...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, i guess UCD is going to change its system and it would be just as the way things are done in the US..It's gonna be semesterised, based on credit accumulation and they are going to use grades and GPA's!..Here, check it out for urself!

http://www.ucd.ie/modularisation.htm

Go to 'Modularisation and Semesterisation General Regulations', under the heading 'Documents'...

I just wanted to know what u guys think of it, and is it worth of taking the chance of studying in UCD?...I mean the idea of studying for example a module in Law although ur a Medical student would be great for one to widen his/her and interests in terms of personal preference!..Don't u think?? :cool:

I don't think moving to a GPA grading system would have much impact on the education, so don't let that hinder you from trying it out. You would obviously have to be prepared to be a bit of a guinea pig but sure, aren't we all?