Who uses Interfolio for LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gonzo12164

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot use the bio department at my school to send LOR's due to technical reasons. Does Interfolio work perfectly fine for this? Is this the company to use or are there other ones that med schools prefer? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Gonzo12164 said:
I cannot use the bio department at my school to send LOR's due to technical reasons. Does Interfolio work perfectly fine for this? Is this the company to use or are there other ones that med schools prefer? Thanks!

My school (Wisconsin - Madison) uses interfolio for all of its' letter collections. No one's given me any problems thus far.

Michigan State uses Interfolio for all (at least medical) LORs. Worked great for the 15 schools I applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on medical schools' approval of the company, but I signed up in the Spring so I could collect my LORs and everything has been working fine, thus far. No kinks.

Gonzo12164 said:

UVa (my undergrad) is all about Interfolio... it's been great so far because I've had my letters sitting pretty in my file since early June. I'm pretty sure med schools are used to the system- the one thing our pre-med advisor told us was to make sure you indicate that you're sending a "commitee" letter so that they know when your one Interfolio packet gets there, your file is complete. This should make more sense when we're filling out secondaries... :luck:

CavalierMD said:
the one thing our pre-med advisor told us was to make sure you indicate that you're sending a "commitee" letter so that they know when your one Interfolio packet gets there, your file is complete.

Hey Cav,

So I just wanted to clarify your last statment since I am a non-trad and not in the exact same boat as you. Did your pre-med advisor write one letter that will serve as your "committee" letter (thus transmitting ONE letter via Interfolio) are you suggesting that, although three letters from three different recommenders are sent simultaneously in one packet, we are to mark "Committee Letter" so they don't expect another packet from interfolio? I'm a little confused and I'm not sure I'm being clear!

Can someone explain to me exactly how LOR-getting and interfolio work? I'm having a hard time envisioning it.

Say I have an IF account, do I ask my professors/premed committee to send their LORs directly to that account, and, because I will waive the right to see them, IF will keep them hidden from me? Will this also work for LORs from other people in other countries?

BuckerPark said:
Hey Cav,

So I just wanted to clarify your last statment since I am a non-trad and not in the exact same boat as you. Did your pre-med advisor write one letter that will serve as your "committee" letter (thus transmitting ONE letter via Interfolio) are you suggesting that, although three letters from three different recommenders are sent simultaneously in one packet, we are to mark "Committee Letter" so they don't expect another packet from interfolio? I'm a little confused and I'm not sure I'm being clear!

This is correct. "committee" just implies that schools are getting 1 mailing... and they shouldn't hold up your file waiting around for more. :luck:

legobikes said:
Can someone explain to me exactly how LOR-getting and interfolio work? I'm having a hard time envisioning it.

Say I have an IF account, do I ask my professors/premed committee to send their LORs directly to that account, and, because I will waive the right to see them, IF will keep them hidden from me? Will this also work for LORs from other people in other countries?

So what'll happen is... you have an Interfolio account and you create these "cover sheets" for each of your recommenders. On the cover sheet, Interfolio includes all the directions your letter writer will need along with a unique ID number for the writer. When your recommender is ready, he/she can either mail or fax the letter, along with the cover sheet... or he/she can create a free "writers account" on Interfolio using the ID number and upload the letter directly into your portfolio. Like I said, all these directions are on the cover sheet, which you can print off and send to whomever you want.

As far as confidentiality, if you waive your right (which you have the option of doing when you create the cover sheet), you won't be able to see the contents of the letter once it arrives at Interfolio- you'll only see that it is in fact on file and ready to be sent off. Now, when you're ready to send off your LORs... you log-in to your Interfolio account and "create a delivery." You can pick the order you want the letters to appear in your packet (ie, advisor on top, or whatever) and where your packet should be sent... plus a fun little fee per mailing (varies, depending on which shipping option you pick).

Hope this helps... PM me with more questions! :luck:

When I applied (from UVa), I also used interfolio. It makes life really easy. If you don't use it now, get it. Med schools are very familiar with it and most of the time you can send your letters electronically to save some time. Make sure that you make your letters confidential (waive your right to see them). Most schools will not accept letter of rec. unless they are confidential.

Is it still useful, if your school uses a committee letter?

Not really. Most schools prefer for you to use your committee letter initially. And if you don't have one, then they'll allow you to send it in individually or through Interfolio, but they usually ask you to include a letter saying why you can submit a committee letter.