Who's going to call Atlantic Bridge, "Irland" today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Valmont---
i have no news to report.....hopefully no news is good news! i have spent a great deal of time talking to trinity----everything is pretty disorganised over there (what else is new) i was told that the numbers of applicants this year has been overwhelming, and it is into the thousands. Did you apply to any schools outside of ireland? hope you're feeling better!

Members don't see this ad.

red_bull

Yes, thanks---I fell much better.

I KNEW I SHOUL HAVE MADE AN EFFORT TO GET IN WHEN FIRST I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE PROGRAM TWO YEARS AGO!

Now the word is out and everyone and his brother is trying to get in!

+pissed+

As for US schools, I had applications in at 12 schools. I opted to send in 6 secondary apps. I got interview at 3 schools, was placed on hold at one, have not gotten word from two, was recruted by one i didn't send an app to, and was rejected at two schools I interviewed with. I got to Des Moines on May 1st for the last interview! Also, I am debating whether or not to send an app. to SGU and AUC or to reapply to the schools I want next year.

What about you? How are ya? By the way, I have yet to get the rejection letter from Trin.----makes me wonder what's going on!

Hey guys--
I feel your pain (even though I did not apply to med school)! I applied to vet schools through the AB program. At least you guys have 4 schools to apply to!! Potential vet students only have 2--Royal Vet College and UCD. Already been rejected by RVC and final decisions are not in yet for UCD. AAAAHHHH! Well, I might still have a chance!
Anyway, it's been great to read all these posts and I feel like we're all in this together!

Good luck and keep your chin up!!

loo

Members don't see this ad :)
Valmont,
i'm going a bit crazy with all of the waiting. my only really good news is that when the word got out that i was initially rejected from Trinity many of the Dr's stepped forward to find out what in the world was going on, now 3 of them have approached me to do a PhD under them. If you didn't receive a rejection letter from Trinity then you are still on the 2nd round list!!! Sometimes it does take a while though. A friend of mine didn't receive one at all and had to request that they send an acceptance or rejection. Not saying that it may happen to you, but i really do think that you should ring about the status of your application to AB or to Sue Power at Trin. My first choice has always been RCSI, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for that one to come through. Maybe we will be doing our interviews at the same time.
Loo
sorry to hear about the rejection letter!!!! damn those bite! vet is a hard area to get into, my father was in vet med and loved it! may i ask why you chose ireland to do vet though???? there are not many places in the colleges there so don't feel too bad about it!

Hey red_bull!

I want to go overseas for 3 reasons. First, I prefer the European curriculum (stresses more animal husbandry, less "tracking", well-balanced training on all species, more "hands-on" exposure than US schools, etc.). Secondly, I have family and therefore have a "connection" there. Thirdly, I am a rugger and there will be ample opportunities to PLAY!

loo

YAYAYAYAY RUGGERS :) what position? Our final is tomorrow, but we're being promoted from Div II to Div I! We only spent one year at Div II, so the powers that be have promised us 3 kegs. Tomorrow is going to be such a great day! Unfortunately, i can't play cuz I bummed my knee out during a match a couple weeks ago, but...heck :).

Ya'll have a great Easter and I will see ya when I get back in town!:)

leorl...

Fullback, baby, fullback;)

fullback :love: :love: :clap: :clap: Hehe. If you come over here, I'll be sure to meet you :). Unless you're like all other rugby players who go for trophy girls :(. boo. hehe anyway!

We lost our final :(. 6-0! No tries scored, they just kicked 2 penalties, I have no idea what we drew the penalties for! And they played so dirty, things were twisted that shouldn't have been! Ahem. Anyway.

Yeah, definitely the place to come for good fanatical rugby :). Good luck with your application!

Hey guys, I emailed AB yesterday and found out that I was accepted at UCD! I haven't received the official letter yet, but Mr. Keenan said it was on the way. So hopefully some more of you guys will be getting some good news soon too! I have a rugby question for you guys. I played for 3 years, but not for awhile. Are there clubs there that anyone can join? thanks, and good luck to everyone!!

WAS THIS YOUR first offer? Did he say that all the second round offers were in? Any word from cork?

hi valmont
i didn't apply to cork but a couple of my friends did and they received their acceptances last week and another one got their's yesterday via Fed Ex. I've also heard that a few offers came in from UCD in the past couple days too. hope everyone had a brilliant easter!

congratulations, DLach :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
DLach, congratulations! I am so glad to see that several people in here are finaly getting to go where they really wish. As for me, I just got asked to come to DMU early for an interview! Thats good because they were going to be full by my date most likely---it sucks that I am out 216 on tickets, however. God tonight is going to be wild with packing. I have to be there on the 24th. Once more, best wishes to all and let me know how things are going.:D

DLach, congrats!

Yeah, there are plenty of clubs. You'd probably do well to stick with UCD. You might not make their 1sts or 2nds XV team (cuz those are filled with internationals), but you never know. They have Thirds and Fourths teams as well, which do well and receive good coaching. UCD's got pretty good rugby teams - they beat every single one of the Trinity teams this year anyway for Colours (except the Ladies), although Trinity beat UCD a couple times in non-Colours events.

Otherwise, there are other clubs, but not exactly sure the location. Some of them are in Dublin, but don't know how far they would be away. You could possibly join Blackrock, which isn't that far from UCD.

Thanks guys! Good luck with your interview tomorrow Valmont! Thanks leorl, I'll definitely check it out!

well done DLach!!! i'm excited for you! also best of luck in your interview valmont!

Hey everyone,
I've just discovered this website and wish i had done so before i started the whole process of applying to ireland. q. No one here seems to talk about UCC;is it not a good school or do most peope want to stay in Dublin where the other 3 schools are????

q2. This is more urgent but it would be a great help if anyone knows what sort of timeline for exams I would be looking at for residencies in Canada and the US?
thanks

carrots,

UCC is a fine school. You don't get a representative view on these message boards because most of us who post happen to be in Dublin. That doesn't mean we think the Dublin schools are better. There is a poster who comes on here from UCC, I'll see if I can ask him to visit and post more often.

Timelines - it depends based on the curriculum of your school, but they're all pretty similar. Most people take Step 1 beginning of their 5th year (or fourth year if you're in a 5-yr. program). However, some choose to take it after their third year, but this may involve teaching yourself material you haven't had yet. Then, Step 2 is taken in the beginning of 6th year (final) . Many of the people sitting Canadian boards take it during their 6th year. However, many people choose to stay in Ireland for their residency, and so these people sometimes take the Canadian boards after they've graduated from med school.

Thanks leorl,
I just got accepted to Cork and am trying to cover all bases so that after 5 yrs I'm on my way and not just sitting around burried in debt.
I'm Canadian so coming home is almost impossible-- need to iron out the route for US residencies/ visas etc before I head to Ireland. But I wanna go... it's so beautiful there!
thanks again

PS: I was under the impression that as non-Eu nationals, the chance of getting a residency in Ireland is very low?

Originally posted by carrots
PS: I was under the impression that as non-Eu nationals, the chance of getting a residency in Ireland is very low?

I am wondering about the same thing.

Well, it can't be taken for granted, of course. At the moment, Ireland is under a bit of a doctor shortage. So while they say that chances of us getting internship/residency in Ireland is low, in reality, it's not that hard. Actually, quite a few of the non-EU grads I know are doing their internships in Ireland and didn't worry about not getting in at all. A friend of mine just accepted a post in Northern Ireland as well, after completing her internship requirements in May.

Ireland doesn't really have a doctor shortage per se...it's going through a funding shortage at the moment which is having a direct effect on the number of NCHDs (non-consultant hospital doctors) that can be employed.

Check out the Postgraduate Medical & Dental Board:
http://www.pgmdb.ie/index4.tmpl

Their 2002 census of NCHDs show that 29% of interns are non-EU nationals. How many of these are North Americans is anyones guess...

Thanks Leorl and Trinners,
But I'm still curious, what happens to the Non-Eu students who don't get internship in Ireland. Do the universities help them find placements or what, because at that stage we're pretty much in no man's land-- we don't have a degree from ireland and cannot apply to residencies(which are PG) anywhere else.
I've also heard that it is easier to get residencies in the UK or Australia vs North America-- fiction or fact???

Sorry for the paranoia but i'm trying to get my facts straight

Hey Carrots,

Understand your concern but there doesn't seem to be any need. No, the universities don't help us find placement in the US after graduation, but that's mainly because the issue doesn't ever come up. If you do well on your boards, then you should be able to get back in the US, although whether you match into your first choice is questionable. If you don't get back into the US, it's not really the fault of the university, but because you didn't take the steps to get in. Yes, it is harder for us - but if you do electives in the US and get good LORs, you should be able to match into something. If not, you can take the Irish exams and try to get into an Irish residency (also not really a problem at the moment), or maybe try to go to the UK, although that brings along other issues.

I don't think graduating from the Irish schools really leaves you with much of a chance of being stranded in the cold. To my knowledge, there's never been a graduate who hasn't been able to find work.

I'm not too sure about Australian residencies. Supposedly, UK and AUS are a bit hard to get into, although that may be affected favorably if we graduate with irish degrees vs. American degrees. haven't researched this much because I'm not looking into it as an option at the moment. It is possible to work in the UK/AUS, but it might require a repeat of certain steps of training. Oh, I think the Aussies use the UK system, so their rules are synonymous with working in the UK. You might want to pose the question in the Aussie thread for confirmation.

It depends on the perspective. You see, you can graduate from Irish/UK/Aussie universities, but if you do residency in the US after graduation, it becomes easier to gain US employment. However, if you did your residency in foreign countries, and Then want to go to the US and work, it might require a repeat in training. Likewise, if you complete a US residency and then try to work in the UK, the UK would require you to repeat certain steps of residency. So pretty much the story is to try to do your residency in the country you wish to reside in.

hey ,

I need some advice. I have recieved an unsuccessful application letter from RCSI(my first choice) and Trinity. It is because my LORs weren't confidential (ie I have seen them).. but I included the contact information .... their business cards..

Anywho, I don't know if there is anything I can do at this point to remedy the problem.

I fear you can't. If you had asked to have the letters re-sent you may have been able to avoid this catch. Sorry. However, if you do get info. on some way of fixing this p[lease let me know.:(

Thanks leorl and Trinners,
That was the kind of info I was looking for. I realize that the onus is definately on me to study hard and work towards the residency. I guess once I get there it will be easier to network and figure out a plan of action. AM really excited to get started-- it's been a long path of appplications and rejections.
cheers!

Hey Irene,
Terribly sorry to hear about the Lor's. Is it possible to ask the universities to let you get them resubmitted-- directly sent from the referees or (this is a long shot 'cause getting 3 glowing/ profiled ref's isn't that easy, atleast for me) asking permission to send new ones????
good luck. Hopefully the other unis. won't be as picky:)

Carrots,

I'm in the same boat as you. I sent you an email at your posted address. Give me a shout.

later.

hi valmont & loo

have you heard any news????

Hey red_bull!

Nope, nothing definitive yet. UCD is in the the process of reviewing international apps. with no decisions yet. I am waitlisted at RVC (Royal Veterinary College).

AB told me if I don't hear anything by July, give 'em a call. July?
AAAAAAAAGGGHH!

It's going to be a long summer.

loo

Red bull----

No word as of yet----on RCSI---hopeing for an interview!

Cork---rejected
Trin---verbaly rejected but no letter from them
DUB.---no word

I was asked to call on friday to see if AB had any news. NADA, so I will call sometime next week.

How are ya, and congrads on the interview.:clap:

hi loo
my fingers are crossed for you! i HATE waiting!! where is royal vet located???

hi valmont
i'm really looking forward to the RCSI interview. i haven't heard word from TCD or UCD. i've been told that UCD is going to take a while. i'm hoping that you will interview for RCSI at the same time so we can talk about how things went. keep me posted on any new news!

Dear Future "Dr." red_bull:

RVC's main campus (labs, lecture halls, etc.) is in London, England. They have satellite "campus" areas in Hertfordshire (I think...don't remember) where large animal training and extramural studies take place.

Personally, I hope to gain admission to UCD 'cause the rugby is better! Oh, no. Now I've done it! I just screwed up my chance at RVC!!!!Are the admissions people reading this?

I'm NOT going to keep my fingers crossed for you 'cause I know YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE IT! (Ok, I'll keep them crossed and hold my lucky rabbit's foot...just in case!)

:D Hee, Hee!

loo

HA HA HA thanks loo!
i'm hoping that you get a placement, but more so at UCD----then we can go for pints.

Didn't make it for the RCSI interview------

three down one to go----don't think I'll get it if I didn't get any of the others----Oh well----

Hey Valmont--

UCD may be your school! You're down, but definitely not out! No news is still good news in my book.;)

Keeping my fingers, toes, eyes etc. crossed for you.

I'll buy the first round if we get into UCD!
:p

valmont :( i hope good news from ucd comes for you or that things work out at dmu. how did your interview go?

valmont----
i know how rejections bite BUT no news is definately good news, you are still on the waiting list so at the very least your application is considered competitive!!!

valmont did u actually recieve a letter of rejection?

or did u find out thru AB?

;) Loo, your on! And i'll get the next three rounds. That way we all get to raise a pint to each others school and the road to getting there.:D

Lola, DMU...well looks like for now that I am on the waiting list. God only knows were on it! thanks for asking. Every one here is so nice---I would love some day soon to you all in Ireland!

red-bull, thats true. And irene, I got the answer both ways. First by AB the three days later by mail.

I do have some good news. The new medschool at VT has been chating me up about finishing my application! THE DEAD LINE HAS PASSED, TWO MONTHS AGO THEY SAID THEY WERE FULL, and now the are talking about me getting in this year or being offered early acceptance into next years class if I finish the application. TALK ABOUT BLOWING MY MIND!:laugh:

The school looks really nice. The director of student aff. has been very helpfull and he is having the Assistant dean of Accademic Med. to call me on Monday. NEVER FELT SO WELCOME!:clap:

Any good news guys? Whats the stat. with everyone?:cool:

Hey Valmont!

Been away for a while. Seems like our buddy Lola got in at Georgetown, (congrats, lola!:clap: ) so I guess she won't be going overseas:( . We'll miss you, lola! Thanks for all your support!

As for me, I'm still waiting and stalking both the computer and mailman. When will they put us out of our misery?

Can you get into UVM this year? How are you doing.

Sending good vibes...

loo

Georgetown--hell yea--good for you lola

Yea, I wish I had an answer from them too.

As for me I am well, and very excited about VCOM. It's not UVM that I went to. "V-T" has oppened a med. school just this year. That's where I went. I fell in love with the place and think I would like it better than MUSC. Thanks for the good vibes...

How are you?:D

What the heck is this "V-T" school? Is it Vermont? Perhaps it is just an inside joke I'm not getting.