Who's visiting Emory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimiQ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Has anyone registered for the Admitted Student Days on OPUS? The information there looks a little confusing to me.

Apparently it is a two-day event, but I am not sure I can go on Thursday due to class/work. It shows on OPUS that they will have some mock epi classes on that Thursday? If that is part of the schedule of the admitted student day, I think it is pretty cool!

I read somewhere in another thread that you can request to stay with a current Rollins student on that Thursday night? Does anyone know who to contact for that request?

Members don't see this ad.

If you sign in to the Admitted students page, go to Emory Visit 2015 and click registration and then go to Housing sign-up's. But also here's the link.

Also, I'm curious as to why the epi classes are mock classes? I can only assume it's because they don't have those courses at the time? Yet for other concentrations, those seem to be the actual classes. I've signed up for both Thursday and Friday, but I'm wondering if Thursday can be canceled if something else comes up.

If you sign in to the Admitted students page, go to Emory Visit 2015 and click registration and then go to Housing sign-up's. But also here's the link.

Also, I'm curious as to why the epi classes are mock classes? I can only assume it's because they don't have those courses at the time? Yet for other concentrations, those seem to be the actual classes. I've signed up for both Thursday and Friday, but I'm wondering if Thursday can be canceled if something else comes up.

I know I am wondering the same things too. I am not sure if those actual classes are for admitted students or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work next door so I will probably only be able to attend the lunch, happy hours, student orgs fair. Wish I could attend more of the events though!

I know I am wondering the same things too. I am not sure if those actual classes are for admitted students or not.
I did the RSPH glepi program, but I didn't go to the admitted student day. I had people stay with me when I was there and I also heard a lot about if from fellow students.
My visitors had a really packed schedule and didn't attend classes with me, but they may have been in GH or BSHE. I don't know what the schedule for the program is, but I know that first year epis are in a really dry epi methods course (the prof I had recently passed, so I don't know what that class is like now) and a really intense theory course, neither of which would be very fun for visiting students. Second years are in elective courses and writing their thesis or completing practicums so they are actually not around much this semester. I expect you have mock outbreak workshops or seminars from some of the big name profs. If you are staying with a student and have time just ask if you can shadow them or attend classes with them, it wouldn't have been a problem for any of my classes.
Congrats on your acceptances! Rollins is an exciting place to be, and Atlanta is a fun city!

I'm registered to visit! And I signed up to stay with a current student, so if anyone else did the same let me know when you find out about that!

Did anyone who signed up to stay with a student hear back about that?

I have not heard back about that. I suppose they are still in the process of working out the details.

You May have a chance of getting a better answer or a direct response from Emily Lakemaker on the accepted students FB page

Emily Lakemaker replied in the emory FB pg that notifications for student housing go out tomorrow

I got an email today about the student I am staying with.

Unfortunately Emory's main visit day and JHU's are on the same day so I can only be at Emory on the 26th. Could you guys post about anything important you hear on the 27th pretty please? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone here heard anything about financial aid yet?

Unfortunately Emory's main visit day and JHU's are on the same day so I can only be at Emory on the 26th. Could you guys post about anything important you hear on the 27th pretty please? :)

Yes, I love giving my opinions in florid detail. :laugh:

Has anyone here heard anything about financial aid yet?

Not a word. Website says 4-6 weeks after submitting FAFSA, starting in March, so hopefully any day now.

They posted on the facebook group that they hope to have financial aid packages out by March 20th

So I've already registered for the visit day, but have now decided I want to do a. financial aid drop-in. Did we have to register for that?

This is silly, but what are you guys wearing for Visit Emory?

This is silly, but what are you guys wearing for Visit Emory?
Probably my "nice" jeans, wedges, a blouse, and a fashion blazer. If it's too hot I might ditch the blazer and opt for a skirt or slacks. Or I might just wear jeans still.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably my "nice" jeans, wedges, a blouse, and a fashion blazer. If it's too hot I might ditch the blazer and opt for a skirt or slacks. Or I might just wear jeans still.

Thanks! I figured I'd be more of a nice casual event

I have been debating this as well. I wonder how much walking we have to do. I may opt for some boots and hope that its not that hot out

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just look like a presentable, decent human being. I wear booties every day so I'll probably keep with that trend.

Does anyone know if it is too late to register?

Have you checked the registration portal on opus? Most of the class visits are probably full but I don't see why you wouldn't be able attend the rest of the events?

Have you checked the registration portal on opus? Most of the class visits are probably full but I don't see why you wouldn't be able attend the rest of the events?
Thanks for the info. I checked with the ADAP and I will be able to an in-person registration on Friday. See everyone there!

So the financial aid info is up in OPUS! All I have is the REAL grant though. Does anyone see loans?

A
Hm... are they under "Award Summary"? I would find it very bizarre if all I got was the REAL grant.
Same happened to me. Apparently there was a technical error while processing FA packages so Emily said to check back tomorrow. I'm stil going to call my FA advisor later on

A

Same happened to me. Apparently there was a technical error while processing FA packages so Emily said to check back tomorrow. I'm stil going to call my FA advisor later on

From the Facebook page:

Here's what we've heard from Financial Aid: There was a technical error in the FA processing last evening and FA packages could be inaccurate.
Please check back tomorrow to see if your package has changed. Evidently the packaging hit a problem last night, and even though the packaging was not to be able to be viewed for 24 hours, it went live this morning. This affects about 250 applicants.

Great. I was all bummed out with just getting the REAL award. Guess Columbia isn't the only one that's not on top of their technical game...

Reactions: 2 users
See you guys tomorrow/Friday!

Anyone know if we should bring resumes to the research fair?

So how is everyone feeling about it? I'm still wary of the cost...