Why am I so anxious? Seeking advice/reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haagendiaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends,

I am currently sitting in my ambulance waiting for a call and I finally decided to post on here on how I've been feeling lately...
I recently graduated in AZ, BS in Medicinal Biochemistry. My grades and MCAT are pretty average as far as being competitive (3.73 GPA and 30 MCAT). I overwhelmed myself junior year (when I took my MCAT), hit a rough patch of anxiety/depression, and got a bunch of B's, which was the greatest hit to my GPA
EC's are pretty good I think...
Research all 4 years (bounced between 2 labs until late sophomore year, wrote honors thesis, but no real published paper *yet* due to having almost no support during my reseach)
Officer in local rotaract (community service) club since freshman year
Worked as a STEM mentor for middle schoolers at a Saturday program

Since I graduated in May, I got my EMT certificate (fast track 1 month program) and have been working full time since September, and am about to switch to part time in preparation for the coming med school application wave. I occasionally still help out with the data I collected while researching in my UG.

However, I don't like my MCAT score. I feel like I can do better, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort since I feel the UA schools may be a good fit (and cheaper), and I have a good shot to get in. However, switching to part time has taken forever and I'm having trouble getting into the study groove with all of the doubts in my mind, especially since everyone on SDN says not to retake with a 30+...

Am I selling myself short? Or am I not as competitive as I think I am? Texas A&M looks good too, but I've been stuck in this loop of second guessing myself and not doing the school research that I should be :bang:. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you amigos

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a 30, you might actually have a valid excuse to retake- there are schools that won't take your MCAT. Look into whether or not Arizona and a few other schools you are considering will take it. I wouldn't retake if they do

What is your science GPA? What is the subsection score breakdown of your MCAT? Is your score balanced across the subsections?

While a 30 is on the lower end and might limit you from the top tier schools, it shouldn't necessarily eliminate you completely if you apply broadly (as long as your subsections are balanced and you have a 9 or higher on each subsection). Retaking the MCAT might be risky since you will have to study for the new MCAT. Apply early (submit your primary application in the first week of June if possible) and apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno OP - take this advice with a grain of salt since I have nothing to gain or lose.

If I were you, I would just apply this cycle (submit amcas first date it opens), apply broadly, and at your in state schools. You don't want to sit out of this another year just to do another MCAT when your score/GPA is at a decent spot and your EC's are spectacular (they sound spectacular to me). What if you rush studying for MCAT and do worse? I'd just apply, I have a good feeling that if you apply to the right schools then you will get 1-3 acceptances at least.

You really just have to look at your app realistically and get an advisor to look at it too when you are choosing where to apply. In your shoes, I would NOT take the MCAT again and I would NOT wait another year. I would apply as early and as broadly as possible. Make sure your scores are well within range of the schools you apply to. I looked up just a raw gpa/mcat combo on http://medical-schools.startclass.com/ (filtered for private schools only) and saw quite a few that you would be a good candidate for.

Hiya cookiess, my range was 11 vr 9 p 10 bio. And my science GPA is 3.65.
I hate that my science scores aren't higher but I think it had to do with the burnout that semester...

I dunno OP - take this advice with a grain of salt since I have nothing to gain or lose.

If I were you, I would just apply this cycle (submit amcas first date it opens), apply broadly, and at your in state schools. You don't want to sit out of this another year just to do another MCAT when your score/GPA is at a decent spot and your EC's are spectacular (they sound spectacular to me). What if you rush studying for MCAT and do worse? I'd just apply, I have a good feeling that if you apply to the right schools then you will get 1-3 acceptances at least.

You really just have to look at your app realistically and get an advisor to look at it too when you are choosing where to apply. In your shoes, I would NOT take the MCAT again and I would NOT wait another year. I would apply as early and as broadly as possible. Make sure your scores are well within range of the schools you apply to. I looked up just a raw gpa/mcat combo on http://medical-schools.startclass.com/ (filtered for private schools only) and saw quite a few that you would be a good candidate for.

Thanks fab. I feel like that is the wisest choice...I was just really gung ho on trying to take the test again but now the anxiety is making it difficult to do anything at all haha

What is your science GPA? What is the subsection score breakdown of your MCAT? Is your score balanced across the subsections?

While a 30 is on the lower end and might limit you from the top tier schools, it shouldn't necessarily eliminate you completely if you apply broadly (as long as your subsections are balanced and you have a 9 or higher on each subsection). Retaking the MCAT might be risky since you will have to study for the new MCAT. Apply early (submit your primary application in the first week of June if possible) and apply broadly.
Hey I'm pretty new to the forum so I replied incorrectly. Sgpa is 3.65 and mcat spread is 9ps 10bs and 11vr :0

Last edited:
Unfortunately, stress and anxiety are just part of this process. You could have better scores and you would still be anxious.
But I say go for it this cycle! I think if you apply broadly and to the right schools, you'll see some interviews. But either way, the anxiety is pretty much going to sit on your shoulder humming in your ear until you see your first acceptance. Fun stuff!

That's a nice VR score. Apply before it expires! Most schools are still taking the old MCAT at this point.

What state are you a resident of? If you're not a Texas resident, you're very likely not getting an interview at Texas A&M with those stats.

What state are you a resident of? If you're not a Texas resident, you're very likely not getting an interview at Texas A&M with those stats.

Yes, OP, you should definitely invest in the MSAR.

With a 30, consider these schools (and forget about UTx unless you're a TX resident):

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Western MI

Any DO program

CUNY Med

Your state school(s).

With a 30, you might actually have a valid excuse to retake- there are schools that won't take your MCAT. Look into whether or not Arizona and a few other schools you are considering will take it. I wouldn't retake if they do

With a 30, consider these schools (and forget about UTx unless you're a TX resident):

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Western MI

Any DO program

CUNY Med

Your state school(s).

Thank you, I will look into those schools. As far as Rush, I might have something close to that amount of hours, if my EMT training and certification courses counted towards that total. I'm not sure who I would have to get to sign off on my hours spent in the club - perhaps the current student president?
Thanks for the direction.

Unfortunately, stress and anxiety are just part of this process. You could have better scores and you would still be anxious.
But I say go for it this cycle! I think if you apply broadly and to the right schools, you'll see some interviews. But either way, the anxiety is pretty much going to sit on your shoulder humming in your ear until you see your first acceptance. Fun stuff!

Yeah, I suppose you're right :I

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Netter

Oakland-B

Western MI

Any DO program

CUNY Med

Your state school(s).
Rush will not accept the old MCAT.

Hiya cookiess, my range was 11 vr 9 p 10 bio. And my science GPA is 3.65.
I hate that my science scores aren't higher but I think it had to do with the burnout that semester...

Your MCAT is fairly balanced and your science GPA is fine. Apply broadly (use Goro's suggested schools as a starting point) and apply early. For any interviews you get, make sure you prepare well and try to talk to current students before hand if you can. During your interviews, you should address both of these points: why you'd be a good fit at ___ school and why you want to attend ___ school. Some of the schools you'll be applying to have 10,000+ applicants so if you're given an interview, you should be able to give concrete reasons for why you want to attend that specific school.

Your MCAT is fairly balanced and your science GPA is fine. Apply broadly (use Goro's suggested schools as a starting point) and apply early. For any interviews you get, make sure you prepare well and try to talk to current students before hand if you can. During your interviews, you should address both of these points: why you'd be a good fit at ___ school and why you want to attend ___ school. Some of the schools you'll be applying to have 10,000+ applicants so if you're given an interview, you should be able to give concrete reasons for why you want to attend that specific school.
Thanks for the tips :)