Why are all my professors ignoring my LOR request?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm not entitled to anything, but this is getting ridiculous.

I initially emailed 3 professors that were a "lock" to write me a letter.

I got 1 yes, 1 No, and the third one seemed like he was willing to write one, but he stopped answering my emails after I sent my information.

I then emailed 4 professors who were 50/50 shots. No response.

Lastly, I emailed 3 "safety" professors. No response after a week of waiting.

I'm asking very kindly by email, as well as giving all my information they need to write me one.

Is it because its the summer now (professors don't get summers off, do they?) or do they just not like me?

I sent a reminder to them all yesterday, but how much longer should I wait before giving up on them?

Members don't see this ad.

1 email doesn't cut it....go in person, then send polite reminders every other week to everyone that said yes asking if they need information (until they actually produce, which they WILL NOT do as fast as they say they will)

Reactions: 3 users
1 email doesn't cut it....go in person, then send polite reminders every other week to everyone that said yes asking if they need information (until they actually produce, which they WILL NOT do as fast as they say they will)
Only 1 said yes, and he's good to go.

What should I do about the non-responders?

Members don't see this ad :)
The person above you is right. One email won't work for some professors. For one of my letters, I had to keep reminding a prof that he agreed to write a letter and it took months for him to get it done.

For the non responders, go to their office hours and ask in person to get a yes or no. Remember to take your CV.

The person above you is right. One email won't work for some professors. For one of my letters, I had to keep reminding a prof that he agreed to write a letter and it took months for him to get it done.

For the non responders, go to their office hours and ask in person to get a yes or no. Remember to take your CV.

I just hope the nonresponders don't give me a hard time at their office hours because they probably ignored my request for a reason. Only one way to find out, right?

I don't even know if these professors will be at their office this summer, now that I think about it.

Did you go to office hours during the year or is this just a "hey my name is ____ and I need a letter for med school" type thing?

If they don't know you very well then they probably don't want to go through the trouble. There is probably no incentive for them to write it.

Professors get really busy during finals and some have summer classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you go to office hours during the year or is this just a "hey my name is ____ and I need a letter for med school" type thing?

If they don't know you very well then they probably don't want to go through the trouble. There is probably no incentive for them to write it.

Hit the nail on the head.

Nearly every professor I asked through email said yes to writing me a LOR. However, I actually talked with them after class or office hours.

Point is if they know who you are they wouldn't be ignoring you, even by email. If this is a result of not talking to your professors during the semester, it is going to reflect in your letter, if you do get one that is.

EDIT: Yes, summer is when they get busy or on vacation. A professor of my was traveling internationally for research for most of the summer. Usually it is best to get LORs from professor that you had in the fall. Then at least they are there during the spring semester (usually).

Nearly every professor I asked through email said yes to writing me a LOR. However, I actually talked with them after class or office hours.

Point is if they know who you are they wouldn't be ignoring you, even by email. If this is a result of not talking to your professors during the semester, it is going to reflect in your letter, if you do get one that is.

EDIT: Yes, summer is when they get busy or on vacation. A professor of my was traveling internationally for research for most of the summer. Usually it is best to get LORs from professor that you had in the fall. Then at least they are there during the spring semester (usually).

I'm not the type of student went to office hours frequently. However, I email all my professors like crazy. I also go to every class and sit in the front. I just would have hoped that I could have gotten a few more Yeses, honestly.

Update: One of my professors finally responded and was not willing to write a letter for med school, but is willing for an SMP. Its better than nothing, right?

I did not have a great first two years, but this year was a great turnaround for me. (Overall went up by .33 from this year to last year) I was hoping my professors would see that. I guess it wasn't enough.

I'm going to go see them in person in the next few days, but I don't really know what to do if they all reject me.

Go to them in person. Emails have a way of being...unhelpfully non aggressive when you're pursuing something.
Its is harder to say No in person, isn't it?

But then again, it is more embarrassing to get rejected in person, too.

Its is harder to say No in person, isn't it?

But then again, it is more embarrassing to get rejected in person, too.
What's embarrassing is spending thousands of dollars on apps only to never be complete

Reactions: 1 users
the takeaway from this for all the other applicants is that LORs are not a given. You must make an effort to cultivate that "yes". Make sure your professors know you...ask questions/office hours/etc. Do well in their class but them liking you (and knowing you) is just as important...

To be honest, if you need to beg for LoRs, you probably should be asking elsewhere. You want good letters, from people who are excited about you. If you have to keep reminding someone about a letter, and they keep putting it off, you probably arent going to get the best letter from them anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, if you need to beg for LoRs, you probably should be asking elsewhere. You want good letters, from people who are excited about you. If you have to keep reminding someone about a letter, and they keep putting it off, you probably arent going to get the best letter from them anyway.
the takeaway from this for all the other applicants is that LORs are not a given. You must make an effort to cultivate that "yes". Make sure your professors know you...ask questions/office hours/etc. Do well in their class but them liking you (and knowing you) is just as important...

Update: Two professors responded and would like to meet with me before writing one. What can I expect to talk about with them and be asked?

100% agree.

You should be asking them "Do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school app?"
Update: Two professors responded and would like to meet with me before writing one. What can I expect to talk about with them and be asked?

100% agree.

You should be asking them "Do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my med school app?"

I get what you mean, but the whole point of meeting with me is to get to know me because they apparently don't.

I just hope my grades don't turn him off completely since he specifically asked me to bring my transcript.

I'm not sure this is going to be a strong letter.

Before he even considered my request he wanted to make sure that he could write a supportive letter, not a generic one. he told me that he felt comfortable writing one for an SMP program so that tells me it will be strong enough.

And I'm getting two letters from nonscience (unfortunately) professors who knew me very well and are English professors.

Nonetheless, how much would their letters "offset" two potential mediocre letters from science professors?

100% agree.

Goro,

I wanted to ask if 2 great letters of recommendation could make up for 2 mediocre letters by science professors?

One non-science professor sent me the letter he wrote via email (not sure why) but it was extremely supportive, so I was just wondering.

One more thing, which DO schools on the top of your head don't count math professors as science LORs?

Yes.

I wanted to ask if 2 great letters of recommendation could make up for 2 mediocre letters by science professors?

Don't know. You'll have to do some homework!

One more thing, which DO schools on the top of your head don't count math professors as science LORs?[/QUOTE]

Update: One of my professors finally responded and was not willing to write a letter for med school, but is willing for an SMP. Its better than nothing, right?

Wow.

That's a great professor.
The path of least resistance for us is to either turn down requests, or say yea, sure and write a half-assed letter.
The best thing to do when a sub-par student asks for a letter, is to do what this person is doing. Take the time, assess their skills/qualifications, and provide useful feedback. "I don't think you're ready for medschool and I can't be supportive of that plan. But I think you would do well in an SMP and if you do well there it can be a springboard to medschool; and I will do whatever I can to help you get into an SMP".

Now you should go sit down with them, talk about what things in your history made them come to this conclusion. This wouldn't be a time to try to convince them you are ready for med school. It's a chance for you to get some objective feedback and to identify your deficiencies. An adcom is likely to pick out the same deficiencies but won't give you the feedback; they'll just reject you. So talk with this person, determine the hurdles, come up with a plan to fix them (an SMP may be part of the plan), and move forward on a realistic path.

Reactions: 1 users
Counter-question, why is this in the medical student forum?

Wow.

The path of least resistance for us is to either turn down requests, or say yea, sure and write a half-assed letter.
The best thing to do when a sub-par student asks for a letter, is to do what this person is doing. Take the time, assess their skills/qualifications, and provide useful feedback. "I don't think you're ready for medschool and I can't be supportive of that plan. But I think you would do well in an SMP and if you do well there it can be a springboard to medschool; and I will do whatever I can to help you get into an SMP".

Now you should go sit down with them, talk about what things in your history made them come to this conclusion. This wouldn't be a time to try to convince them you are ready for med school. It's a chance for you to get some objective feedback and to identify your deficiencies. An adcom is likely to pick out the same deficiencies but won't give you the feedback; they'll just reject you. So talk with this person, determine the hurdles, come up with a plan to fix them (an SMP may be part of the plan), and move forward on a realistic path.

:claps:

Agreed. You are really fortunate to have someone willing to sit down with you and give you feedback.

Also, as you move forward in your professional career, consider that the more effort you put in when you come asking for a favor or making a request, the more likely you are to find someone willing to go out of their way for you. Making an appointment and then showing up in person, prepared with any necessary documents like CVs, transcripts, etc, is best. Just going about it that way will always make a better impression than sending an email. Go in with some humility, asking not "Will you do this for me?" But "I really felt that I learned a lot from you and I hope that I made a good impression on you as well. Do you know me well enough to write a strong, positive letter on my behalf? And do you have the time to do so before (date at least 6 weeks in the future, and at least 8-12 weeks before the actual hard deadline.)?

If you have to do it over a distance, write a real letter, that requires a stamp to deliver it, outlining your experiences with the person and how they have helped you to grow as a student. Then respectfully make your request. For their convenience, include everything they might want to reference in order to do the job well, and mention that you will follow up with them in a few days. Print it all on good quality paper, put it in an envelope that is big enough that nothing needs to be folded, hand address it and apply interesting stamps, if you can get them. I keep a supply of nice stamps, so that I'm not stuck with either something boring or else Bart Simpson. (I do have a few Bart Simpson stamps for when I am sending polite "F#ck You"s. Small gestures can be so meaningful, I find.) Then, do follow up with a phone call (preferably) or email (if you must) a few days later. And again about once every week or two until you get your letter.

In general, the more it seems to cost you in time and consideration, the more they will want to help you. Email is so easy, and so many other students will be using it to make demands on the professors time, large and small. You want to stand out, to be special, a little more mature and refined... someone they could really recommend to go on to bigger and better things. Make it easy for others to feel good about helping you, and you won't have to chase them as much.

Wow.

My previous semesters sucked, but this past one was pretty good and I did very well in his class this past semester- which was an upper level class. It was good enough to show my potential, that's why he was willing for an SMP, but it wasn't enough for med school

There are a few profs where I had to email them multiple times, a lot of them are very busy and often-times just forget. Just keep emailing them

Yes.

Don't know. You'll have to do some homework!

One more thing, which DO schools on the top of your head don't count math professors as science LORs?
[/QUOTE]

Another update: I'm getting a letter from a science professor who just so happens to also be the dean of the school. I met with him and he basically told me that he didn't know me that well so the letter would be mostly generic.

I gave him my personal statement and CV to help him know me, I hope it will help.

My question is this: Will med schools value the fact that he is the dean, and not be too concerned about the generic part?

Looks like my two science letters will be on the generic side, but the other 2 will be very supportive. Hope this won't look too bad.