Why are Canadian Grades so devalued?

kamishak steve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate transcripts are from a Canadian university. On the transcripts, it states clearly that according to the 9 point scale, a B is a 5. It would seem that a B, coming from a Canadian school with the 9 point scale or an american school with the 4 point scale would be considered a 3.0 by the AAMC.

Why is this B calculated by the AAMC's as a 2.3 GPA ??? Is there anyone can explain why my GPA is 75% of what it was at my Canadian institution??? Granted I've done a lot of post-bacc work since then, but considering how this adjusts my overall GPA it's borderline if I can even apply.

Members don't see this ad.

My undergraduate transcripts are from a Canadian university. On the transcripts, it states clearly that according to the 9 point scale, a B is a 5. It would seem that a B, coming from a Canadian school with the 9 point scale or an american school with the 4 point scale would be considered a 3.0 by the AAMC.

Why is this B calculated by the AAMC's as a 2.3 GPA ??? Is there anyone can explain why my GPA is 75% of what it was at my Canadian institution??? Granted I've done a lot of post-bacc work since then, but considering how this adjusts my overall GPA it's borderline if I can even apply.

Question would be best posted in the pre-allo/pre-osteo forum. I don't think AAMC would discriminate against Canadians. That being said, even if you do have a 3.00 that's way to low to apply to United States schools. Stay in Canada.

You couldn't stay in Canada without a 3.8+ GPA. Canada is like a country that has no 3rd tier med schools or DO schools.

There are 2 types of Canadians who apply to US med schools.

1. The overachieving genius for whom University of Toronto/UBC/McGill/McMaster is not enough for them and who needs to attend Harvard.

2. The borderline competitive applicant in Canada who is also trying for the US as a backup.

To answer the OP's question: I always thought that the US inflated Canadian grades. I once heard that a 80 at Western was a 4.00 in the US but only 3.7 in Canada?

And dude, if you have a 5 out of 9 at York, you just aren't competitive. Most of my friends who aren't geniuses are pulling high 8/9 at Schulich/York.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that was the same as well. I was always under the impression that the US inflated our grades...

Question would be best posted in the pre-allo/pre-osteo forum. I don't think AAMC would discriminate against Canadians. That being said, even if you do have a 3.00 that's way to low to apply to United States schools. Stay in Canada.

This is an ADD moment here but you have a lot of posts :eek:

I know Canada is a lot more competitive than US but you have an extremely slim chance (or none at all) in US too.

I'm not Canadian.

5 was undergrad GPA in anthropology.

Since graduating I went back to school at an American university, and have a 3.89 GPA in all of my prerequisite courses, including every physics, math, biology, and chemistry I have taken. Still a zero chance?

I'm not Canadian.

5 was undergrad GPA in anthropology.

Since graduating I went back to school at an American university, and have a 3.89 GPA in all of my prerequisite courses, including every physics, math, biology, and chemistry I have taken. Still a zero chance?

What about english? Your Canadian status will essentially ruin your chances at some state schools such as the Texas or Cali schools. Some private schools might accept you, your GPA is pretty good, but you will still need the following:

-Good MCAT score. 35+ is preferable
-Volunteering Experience (200 hours min.)
-Clinical Experience (200 hours min.)
-Good personal statement
-Great letter of recommendation.

I finished the English requirement after my undergrad as well. 4.0

I'm not sure what you mean by Canadian status, I am a US citizen and resident that just happened to complete my undergrad in Anthro at a Canadian school. While none of my pre-reqs were completed there, it is still the institution from which I received my degree, and counts as my undergrad.

200+ hours volunteering at pediatric ER in Medellin Colombia
~25 hrs volunteering with Project Healing Waters - teaching fly fishing to PTSD and physically disabled US veterans as a therapeutic method of coping with their challenges.
94 hrs volunteer medical translator at community health clinic treating underserved immigrant Latino populations
40 hrs shadowing, both rural and urban clinics, variety of physicians from derm to surgeons.
7 years as US coastguard licensed "Remote Water of Western Alaska" merchant mariner, working as a fly fishing instructor and wilderness guide for most prestigious outfit in AK.

I finished the English requirement after my undergrad as well. 4.0

I'm not sure what you mean by Canadian status, I am a US citizen and resident that just happened to complete my undergrad in Anthro at a Canadian school. While none of my pre-reqs were completed there, it is still the institution from which I received my degree, and counts as my undergrad.

200+ hours volunteering at pediatric ER in Medellin Colombia
~25 hrs volunteering with Project Healing Waters - teaching fly fishing to PTSD and physically disabled US veterans as a therapeutic method of coping with their challenges.
94 hrs volunteer medical translator at community health clinic treating underserved immigrant Latino populations
40 hrs shadowing, both rural and urban clinics, variety of physicians from derm to surgeons.
7 years as US coastguard licensed "Remote Water of Western Alaska" merchant mariner, working as a fly fishing instructor and wilderness guide for most prestigious outfit in AK.

You should be good. Just get a good MCAT score.

This doesn't answer his question, which is why is his 5/9 at York such converted to a 2.3? Thats a question you should ask your university itself. Many people from York will eventually try and apply to the US so the officials might know that. If not, they will direct you to the AAMC.